Pick Your Favorite Red Angus Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Big Wheel

I am new to the board and was hoping to get some feedback on my two heifers.  We are selling choice between the two of them and I am curious to see which heifer is everyone's favorite.  Let the voting begin!

Heifer Number 1: Rose 21Y

http://youtu.be/XkFCHjSfS-U

Heifer Number 2: Avocet 26Y
http://youtu.be/hmhs9bczlds

Attachments

• FHW-21Y.jpg
    FHW-21Y.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 152
  • FHW-26Y.jpg
    FHW-26Y.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 143

GoWyo

Like #1 better.  No. 2 looks masculine on the front end to me in the photo.  Would like to free up the front ends on both of them.  Maybe it's the shoulder angle on both of them that is too steep for my tastes

LLBUX

I prefer #1 due to her extension and more natural depth of body. 
To me, #2 looks like she gets much of her depth and thickness from fat.

Both are very nice heifers, good luck with your sale.

kfacres

1- for me.. I think there's more true depth/ dimension in that female. even though she appears to me to be fatter- especially about the brisket area.  Cattle fatted front front to rear- so she's prob got more body and fat behind that point as well. 

I just see a little more legit heifer there.  2 prob has the advantage of muscle- based on her forarm, and rear end-- but she appears narrowers from chest down, and back. 

Awefully hard to seperate these two though based on two photos that are almost identical.  To me, a rear 3/4 view would seperate them quite easily.  A straight from behind might not be bad- but not the most ideal picture. 

So I guess with that said, I'd buy 1 from the picture, but who knows what I'd do in person-- double my money and take both????? make sure I bought the right one?  Why stop at one, if you're looking to start or build on a herd, may as well make it worth your while to have two similar ones to play around with.

Gargan

#1 for me, i think her front end makes the difference in my mind for a show hfr. #2's tailhead gets up a litttle higher and she's not quite as clean in her front as #1. For a true brood cow, #2 may come to the top, she has tons of capacity. The videos help seperate the two. Both are very nice hfrs.

Show Dad

I take #1 but just by a little. I would like to see #2 with a bit more neck extension. Depth on both is very good. The only knock on #1 is that I would like to free her up in her overall movement. But when you get them that deep it is hard to do.

JMHO  <alien>

nate53

Both are nice, :)
But I would have to go with #1 for maternal - she looks more feminine and has a better looking head to me.  #2 might be better for show though?
I wouldn't mind seeing them lose some of their condition and see where the chips fall.

Big Wheel

It is really interesting to see everyone's opinion.  The pictures were taken almost 2 months ago, but the videos are recent.  I think they really help to see the heifers better, especially since I think the number 1 heifer is a lot better than her picture.  Keep voting and we will see which heifer comes out on top sale day.

rmbcows

#1    would be my choice.  They are both getting a little too fat for my liking if I was going to buy them for breeding heifers though.  If they are headed to the show ring, then that's another story.

Big Wheel

So the sale is now over.  There was a People's Choice show the day before the sale where people had to buy ballots and vote for their favorite sale heifer.  The #2 heifer was the People's Choice Champion.  On sale day though they were the lead off heifers in the sale order and the #1 heifer was chosen by Lewis Farms.  We had lots of positive comments about both heifers.  Thanks for your opinions.

kfacres

Big Wheel said:
So the sale is now over.  There was a People's Choice show the day before the sale where people had to buy ballots and vote for their favorite sale heifer.  The #2 heifer was the People's Choice Champion.  On sale day though they were the lead off heifers in the sale order and the #1 heifer was chosen by Lewis Farms.  We had lots of positive comments about both heifers.  Thanks for your opinions.

just goes to show you that the people liking number 2 were either novice-- or didn't have a big enough pocketbook to like her all that well...  ;)

OH Breeder

I am little late to the post. I didn't see the results before watching the video. I thought the pair was hard to separate as well. Both share some similar qualities but I think they could do some different things. I thought the #1 heifer looked like she was tick larger framed. The #2 heifer I thought looked more compact and earlier maturing than the first heifer. I also would have taken them both like A T said. Nice pair of heifers. I think 2 is more to my liking just because I tend to lean toward more compact easy fleshing type females.