Pickups

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

I know this topic has been discussed on this forum several times, but I am now ready for some advice.  I have had my fill of Ford diesels.  I had a 1997 7.3 with few problems other than the 4-wheel drive went out the second time I used it.  I then purchased a 2001 7.3 and had few problems, other than the clutch hydraulics and several minor issues.  I did not buy a 2004 or 2005 6.0 diesel because my dealer told me they had too many issues, mainly with the turbos and injectors.  He told me they had the bugs worked out by 2006 so I bought one.  Everyone I know with the 6.0 diesel has had serious issues, but I had escaped.  Until last Saturday on our annual trip to the WHR sale.  We were going to drive the car, a Toyota Prius that gets nearly 50 mpg, but some friends that needed cattle hauled found out we were going, so we decided to take the truck and trailer.  Besides, maybe we'd buy something.  The truck is still sitting at the Ford dealer in Edmond, Oklahoma.  The trailer is parked at a gas station north of town.  We're hoping the truck will be repaired later today.  Meanwhile, we had to get somewhere.  We finally found a rental car at Will Rogers airport at 10:30 Saturday night.  We arrived at our motel in Dennison, TX, about 2:00 a.m.  We would have changed motels, but had to cancel by Friday, so we were stuck.  The rental car cost $87 through Monday.  The cattle were great, the ones we had to energy to look at.  I was so shot that I just sat and watched the sale, not really taking time to talk to anybody.  The Ford dealer let us know Monday about noon that, of course, the Turbo was shot, just like almost every other 6.0 diesel at some time, and wouldn't be done until possibly Tuesday or Wednesday.  Why there has not been a recall on these 6.0 diesels I'll never know.  Anyway, we called the rental car company and we could return our car to the Des Moines airport instead of Will Rogers for a mere $565.00 as long as we had it there by 9:00 p.m.  If we were after 9:00, it would be $882.00.  We had 8 hours and 30 minutes to make an 8:00 hour drive.  We got to Des Moines at 8:33.  I would like input on Dodge pickups.  I've had a Chevy, not too good.  I've had my fill of Fords.  My problem with the Dodge has always been the transmission.  Pros or cons, I'd like to hear it.  This whole thing is going to cost me about 5 grand.

dimebag

I had a ford diesel too , not many problems with mine . I sold it in 2002 and bought a dodge diesel , no comparison , the dodge's power is flat out superior , i'm still driving it @ 215,000 miles with almost no problems . I have many friends with dodge's just like mine , with more miles and very few problems .

oakview

I assume your 2002 was a 7.3, just like my 97 and 2001.  I didn't have real issues with the 7.3s, but his 6.0 is a piece of 'work'.  I know the Dodge automatics used to cause problems, so I've stayed away from them.  Maybe they have that problem resolved now.

Davidsonranch

IMO if you can find a 2005 to early 2007 Dodge or Chevy you can't go wrong.  All my friends have Dodges and they are hard to beat.  But a few have Chevys and by far they are more comfortable and seem to have more "poop" when it comes to the pull.  Anything new now have the downsized motors, ionizers, power pullers, yada yada.  Problem is that I've been seeing guys get new prices for used 2005-2007 dodges as they are so wanted in my neck of the woods.  Not to mention if you want a 6 speed they are all but non - existent.  But yes, I have heard nothing but problems for the ford diesels.  For $50,000-$60,000, the damn things should drive themselves and never break down in their lifetime, I don't care what brand they are!

Red Cow Relocators

A few weeks ago I was traveling with a business associate in his truck and trailer to a sale in Shawnee, OK. The truck had the 6.4 in it and about 1/2 way down the turbo quit working. We crippled it down to Shawnee to the Ford dealership with the idea that they might be able to fix it before we had to head back north for another sale. It was Thursday when we dropped the truck off for them to look at. The truck had 86,000 miles on it and this was the second time this problem had occurred. To make a long story short, the dealership couldn't get the truck back on the road in time for us to head back north and he traded it for a 2012 with the 6.7 motor in it. I don't know how the new motor will hold up, but it appears to have plenty of power pulling a load. Fuel mileage is still not good, I think we probably averaged 9.5 coming home with the trailer. I am still driving my 2002 with the 7.3 motor and 200,000 + miles on it. I get 15 MPG pulling a loaded trailer and 20 MPG driving down the road. I'm still waiting for someone to build a comparable truck to my old 2002. RCR

Mueller Show Cattle

I have a 2007 Dodge 1 ton dually with the 6.7 liter cummins diesel. I have a 6 speed manual transmission. I love the truck and it has alot of power. Dodge automatic transmissions have had problems but not the manual if you don't mind driving a manual which I don't as I prefer a manual transmission with pulling heavy loads around my area.

steermaker

Although I have only owned one deisel truck I have to say that my 07 Dodge with a manual transmission has served my very well.  I just turned it over 100K and have not had any drive train issues with it all and have even had the clutch or transmission touched since I drove it off the lot.  I pull a 16 foot steel gooseneck Corn Pro trailer with it on a regular basis.  When doing so I average over 14 mpg.  I drive the truck a minimum of 350 miles a week just commuting to work and get over 21 mpg.  When looking for a truck I didn't even go to the Ford dealer and purposely test drove a Chevy before going to my Dodge dealer.  I was concerned about the way the Chevy handled hills even without a load during the test drive.

McM93

I have been in a Dodge diesel of some form since 1994. I drive a 2002 most days. It has 230,000 miles and all I have replaced was the clutch at 225,000. The clutch was still good, bearings (throwout) in center shelled out. It has not been babied, I have driven it like I stole it since it left the lot. We also have an 2006 (I think) with the 6.7 and six speed. I don't feel it has a great difference in horsepower or torque and unless loaded, the six speed aggravates me, seems like I am shifting all of the time. Don't even consider buying a Dodge automatic. I do get tired of the dashes in them cracking and looking like crap, but there are aftermarket dash tops that you glue on (a used car guy showed me) that look good. I have not gotten one yet nor can I think of the website right now. I think the K and N filters are worthwhile in a diesel even though you run out of soap three times faster than the oil you put back on the clean filter. I clean mine only 2x a year and everyone knows how dusty Texas can be...The Cummins engine is just hard to beat in any vehicle...

drl

I might not haul as much as the rest of you but love my 09 Chevy with the Duramax. I love the Allison transmission, makes it possible for others to drive (stupid proof). It gets about 18 highway empty and 12 loaded with trailer.

willow

We have always been a Ford family, but my husband had enough the last time his left me stranded with a trailer full of horses.  He is a diesel mechanic and looked at and researched the new Ford's, Chevy's, GMC's and the Dodge's.  The Dodge is what he settled on and we have had it now for three years with not a lick of trouble.  Easy to drive.  Lots of power.

vc

I have a 05 Chevy 2500HD, have 130000 on it and it has never been in the shop for more than a transmission service. For comfort Chevy has always been at the forefront, I know Dodge has made some improvements in the cab with the last model change and they have gotten better. If you can get the Allison Transmission with the Cummings Engine you will have a beast that runs forever. A trucking family in the area has owned Fords forever, they use them as service trucks, pilot vehicles and for personal use, and they are transitioning over to the Dodges.

I also drive my own Chevy half ton for work it is a 99 and had 252000 miles on it when the transmission went out, (I do not blame Chevy, this is what happens when you ask a half ton to do a heavy duty trucks job for the first 150000 miles of it carrier) I put 24000 to 28000 miles a year on it for work, since it has been down I have been driving a Ford half ton from work that is similar in type to the Chevy, while my truck is in the shop, (it has been there for awhile but that is because the mechanic, my son is slow) The ford makes me feel like I have been in a football game after about 2 hours in the saddle, the Chevy does not, you are a little stiff when you get out but after a second of moving around all is good, when I get out of the Ford I start feeling right, just about the time I get back in it.

I heard that with the Dodge diesel on the heavier trucks if it is for private use you are not required to have the urea tank, commercial you do.

RankeCattleCo

DRB-
My dad has a 98 dodge 1/2 ton with 52,000 miles on it.
The tranny was replaced 2.5 years ago with 43,500 miles on it.
It is now currently in a salvage yard because 3 days ago we learned that it needed ANOTHER new tranny.
Not dependable.  If I were you I'd steer WAY clear of dodge gassers.

clubcalve

We have a 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins Manual. Flat out the best truck we have ever owned. There are many out there with over 200,000 miles on them and still running smoothly. 

showsteerdlux

I have had more than my fair share of trucks in the past few years, but long story short, DO NOT get any Ford with the 6.4 diesel, and don't bother a Dodge with an automatic. I had an 08 that I got used with 30,000 miles on it a year ago. I put 70,000 miles on it this past year, nothing to tough or so I thought, but it decided to lose a tranny last week.

I pulled the trigger and got a 2012 350. Put a 1000 miles on it this week, averaging 20.8 empty, most powerful truck I have ever been in.

OKshorthorn

showsteernc said:
I have had more than my fair share of trucks in the past few years, but long story short, DO NOT get any Ford with the 6.4 diesel, and don't bother a Dodge with an automatic. I had an 08 that I got used with 30,000 miles on it a year ago. I put 70,000 miles on it this past year, nothing to tough or so I thought, but it decided to lose a tranny last week.

I pulled the trigger and got a 2012 350. Put a 1000 miles on it this week, averaging 20.8 empty, most powerful truck I have ever been in.

2012 F350?

RyanChandler

showsteernc said:

I've never had a problem w/ my 08 FX4-  sure hope I don't either-  Tell us some more about the '12.  I test drove one in Gainesville last fall and you're right -Its a beast. Considerably more torque.  Was gonna cost me a grand/month though... and just as a daily driver and only occasionally pulling a stock trailer, I'd just as well keep the $ and the 6.4

showsteerdlux

Redwine Cattle said:
showsteernc said:

2012 F350?
Yes. Long wheel base single rear wheel 4wd lariat. What you want to know more about it XBAR?

pjkjr4

The 1st week of December last year I traded my '08 F250 6.4 in on a new one with the 6.7. Granted, I haven't put many miles on it (I think the odometer shows around 5700), but I'm very impressed comared to my old one. Kind of like being used to a 4 cylinder, then upgrading to a V8. I haven't reset the average MPG thing yet, and since I drove it off the lot, I am averaging 16.3. Thats town, highway, pulling a trailer, idling......everything. My old one would average around 10 driving it the same way. Also, I was leary of the exhaust fluid deal, but I've yet to do that. I guess it will tell me when it's time! It also has much more comfortable seats than the old one. Not Chevy comfortable, but closer. As I get older, that's getting to be a big deal to me. So far, completely pleased with it, although I was pleased with my old one until it hit 50,000 miles. By then it was trying to fall apart on me.