Picture of a few calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

Here is a picture I thought I would share of three Leachman Apostle U021B bull calves and a WLE UNO MAS heifer calf on the left.

Attachments

• Apostle calves 5-10-16.jpg
    Apostle calves 5-10-16.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 241
J

JTM

1. Leachman Apostle bull calf out of Crossbred 3 year old.
2. Pic of his dam (50% Shorthorn, A&T Renegade daughter) with him in the background.
3. Leachman Apostle heifer calf with her crossbred 3 year old dam(50% Shorthorn, 25% Simmental, 25% Angus).

Attachments

• Apostle 621 b resized.jpg
    Apostle 621 b resized.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 306E cow with Apostle 621 resized.jpg
    306E cow with Apostle 621 resized.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 224
  • JTM A&T 969 with 622 Apostle heifer cover page 2 resized.jpg
    JTM A&T 969 with 622 Apostle heifer cover page 2 resized.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 205

RyanChandler

Look like pretty good commercial calves.  You plan on taking the Apostle with the Renegades/Robs to the great state feedout?  I remember you were pretty high on how the Renegades performed there last year; be interesting to see how they compare. 

J

JTM

-XBAR- said:
Look like pretty good commercial calves.  You plan on taking the Apostle with the Renegades/Robs to the great state feedout?  I remember you were pretty high on how the Renegades performed there last year; be interesting to see how they compare.
Most of these Apostle bull calves are herd sire worthy so we will market them as bulls. They will either go to Leachman's, West Virginia bull test, or we already have several buyers lined up sight unseen for them. We only have two Apostle heifers and we will be keeping them. We will plan on sending another large group of steers to the great state feedout again this year of purebred and crossbred calves though.
I guess to be accurate I wouldn't say I was particularly high on how the Renegade calves did at the feedout although they were 100% choice but I was high on how my group did as a whole. The Renegades in that group were all purebreds and they should be 100% choice. There was just a lot of stuff going on with that data, avg. age 395 days, 74% choice, 68% YG 1's and 2's, etc.

Duncraggan

JTM said:
-XBAR- said:
Most of these Apostle bull calves are herd sire worthy so we will market them as bulls. They will either go to Leachman's, West Virginia bull test, or we already have several buyers lined up sight unseen for them. We only have two Apostle heifers and we will be keeping them. We will plan on sending another large group of steers to the great state feedout again this year of purebred and crossbred calves though.
I guess to be accurate I wouldn't say I was particularly high on how the Renegade calves did at the feedout although they were 100% choice but I was high on how my group did as a whole. The Renegades in that group were all purebreds and they should be 100% choice. There was just a lot of stuff going on with that data, avg. age 395 days, 74% choice, 68% YG 1's and 2's, etc.
JTM, you are painting a target over your heart here! XBAR clearly states at he bottom of every post "Friends don't let friends use crossbred bulls"
Good to see though that you expect your purebred Shorthorns to be 100% Choice but expect less from your crossbreds! ;)

bedrock

Ive posted this comment before , ive called 3 bull test stations about sending  purebred shorthorn bulls,  got laughed at every time. I mention these stabilizer bulls out of Apostle and the laughter changes to people listening about these calves and are willing to have them entered in a bull test. If this is how we get shorthorn influenced cattle into commercial herds that normally wouldn't give shorthorns a chance , isnt that a positive thing?

J

JTM

Duncraggan, XBar has never been a friend of mine since day one. He came up with that statement pretty close to the day I posted the purchase of TG/RRA Complete 421U. I know exactly what he is doing and how his post was insinuating that all of my Apostle calves should be killed. It's sad that he can only see so far. I hope that others choose to open their eyes and minds and are open to what the commercial industry is needing.
Duncraggan, I don't necessarily expect 100% choice from my purebreds but Renegade has shown tremendous marbling. From my crossbreeding I expect to balance quality and yield grade. Many Angus groups can get 85-100% choice but are going to be only around 25% yield grade 1's and 2's. The same can be said with purbred Shorthorns. With my crossbred cattle our goal will be to consistently achieve 70% choice and 70% yield grade 1's and 2's therefore maximizing our premiums compared to only maximizing quality grade.
bedrock said:
Ive posted this comment before , ive called 3 bull test stations about sending  purebred shorthorn bulls,  got laughed at every time. I mention these stabilizer bulls out of Apostle and the laughter changes to people listening about these calves and are willing to have them entered in a bull test. If this is how we get shorthorn influenced cattle into commercial herds that normally wouldn't give shorthorns a chance , isnt that a positive thing?
Amen brother...

3 Eagles shorthorns

I like the Cow in the second picture. She is what I call the "kind". I bought some semen out of a black simmy bull called Rancher, I hope it works out for me,  and I bought some gauge Semen as that was all select sires carried for  shorthorn.

J

JTM

3 Eagles shorthorns said:
I like the Cow in the second picture. She is what I call the "kind". I bought some semen out of a black simmy bull called Rancher, I hope it works out for me,  and I bought some gauge Semen as that was all select sires carried for  shorthorn.
Thanks for the compliment on her. Her heifer calf by Apostle is a knockout and doesn't have a price tag. The cow in the first picture a lot of people may call ugly but she is an awesome cow. She sired not only this bull calf here but also her first calf last year is a yearling bull sired by Leachman Testify that we will put out on heifers here shortly.

Attachments

• Apostle 621 resized.jpg
    Apostle 621 resized.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 192

3 Eagles shorthorns

She is not the prettiest cow, but she has the look of a brood cow that will flatout perform. If you ever send cattle to montana I would love to try a higher percentage shorthorn bull.

mbigelow

I like the cows and calves! More importantly, I like and respect the fact that JTM has a plan and is seeing it through.  Good luck and keep breeding cattle that work for you!

J

JTM

3 Eagles shorthorns said:
She is not the prettiest cow, but she has the look of a brood cow that will flatout perform. If you ever send cattle to montana I would love to try a higher percentage shorthorn bull.
Oh we can send one out there! Or at least meet you have way. You know A&T Cattle Co. out of Hay Springs, Nebraska is breeding the same genetics and program as we are. They are a bit closer to you too. He could hook you up also. I do know he has a flat out awesome percentage Shorthorn bull right now but I don't think it is for sale.

Duncraggan

JTM, the updated picture of Renegade shows him in fine form, looking good!
I like the bull calf as well, shows good masculinity at a young age. You should definitely be benefiting from better growth on your calves to weaning as well with the hybrid vigour.
Your programme seems to be working well for you.

RyanChandler

JTM said:
Duncraggan, XBar has never been a friend of mine since day one. He came up with that statement pretty close to the day I posted the purchase of TG/RRA Complete 421U. I know exactly what he is doing and how his post was insinuating that all of my Apostle calves should be killed.

I have no personal vice with you-- I just fundamentally oppose the approach of mongrelizing a cow herd via unstable composite herd sires. I think it's is a quick fix/dead end approach. But, in our era of instant gratification, as you've seen from the stated interest in the Apostle calves, it is much easier to sell expressed heterosis in the flesh than it is to sale the Tru-Line philosophy I subscribe to: that a bull's value is dependent on his outcross potential and a female's on her outcross receptiveness. 

Either way, I'm going to make a commitment to focus on the commonalities of our programs as opposed to the difference, as fundamental as it may be.  I think we both have a passion for SH cattle and we have very similar production goals, as well. The SH breed needs many more of us on the same path and I welcome and support anyone whose goals it is to further the commercial appeal of the Shorthorn breed. 

J

JTM

-XBAR- said:
JTM said:
Duncraggan, XBar has never been a friend of mine since day one. He came up with that statement pretty close to the day I posted the purchase of TG/RRA Complete 421U. I know exactly what he is doing and how his post was insinuating that all of my Apostle calves should be killed.

I have no personal vice with you-- I just fundamentally oppose the approach of mongrelizing a cow herd via unstable composite herd sires. I think it's is a quick fix/dead end approach. But, in our era of instant gratification, as you've seen from the stated interest in the Apostle calves, it is much easier to sell expressed heterosis in the flesh than it is to sale the Tru-Line philosophy I subscribe to: that a bull's value is dependent on his outcross potential and a female's on her outcross receptiveness. 

Either way, I'm going to make a commitment to focus on the commonalities of our programs as opposed to the difference, as fundamental as it may be.  I think we both have a passion for SH cattle and we have very similar production goals, as well. The SH breed needs many more of us on the same path and I welcome and support anyone whose goals it is to further the commercial appeal of the Shorthorn breed.
I think that would be an awesome thing to do and I appreciate that last paragraph. The first paragraph is why you think they all should be killed, I know. Your "tru-line philosophy" is fine for purebred seedstock and is needed for the commercial industry, but we also need to have simplified breeding systems where the efficiency of an operation can be optimized.

mark tenenbaum

-XBAR- said:
JTM said:

Either way, I'm going to make a commitment to focus on the commonalities of our programs as opposed to the difference, as fundamental as it may be.  I think we both have a passion for SH cattle and we have very similar production goals, as well. The SH breed needs many more of us on the same path and I welcome and support anyone whose goals it is to further the commercial appeal of the Shorthorn breed. //// THEN ITS PRETTY CLEAR YOU NEED TO SHOW THE PROOF IN SOME CROSSBRED CATTLE IF YOU WANT TO SELL ANYTHING TO THE COMMERCIAL MARKET -IF YOU ARE GEARED IN THAT DIRECTION IF YOU ARENT STONE UP INTO THE SHOW DEAL-AND I RESPECT WHATEVER ON THAT DIRECTION AS WELL AS OTHERS-WHERE ELSE IS YOUR MARKET? O0

RyanChandler

mark tenenbaum said:
THEN ITS PRETTY CLEAR YOU NEED TO SHOW THE PROOF IN SOME CROSSBRED CATTLE IF YOU WANT TO SELL ANYTHING TO THE COMMERCIAL MARKET

How's this calve's commercial appeal- think he'll do? Forward 4003 x purebred brangus. I run several brangus cows along side the shorthorns.  I think their calves give prospective buyers a good idea of what to expect from their commercial cows if they were to use one of my purebred bulls.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 279