Pictures: A Great Nebraska State Fair!

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

My kids aren't state fair age yet, But close friends and cattle partners Troy and Amy Meysenburg and their kids Taylor, Tori & Trae had a great fair so I thought I would share.  A big Congrats to the Meysenburgs, they don't spend much on their calves but spend alot of time searching to find them and getting them ready at home.

They had Champion Char breeding heifer(1/2 Bld) with Sandy and Reserve Div. 3 steer with Sid. 

Below are two Pictures:

Picture one; Troy congratulating and at the same time consoling his daughter as she just realizes with a Div Res title that Sid will not be going home.

Picture two:  Sandy

RSC

PS- I will get a picture of Sid up when I get one.

Attachments

• Troy N Tori.JPG
    Troy N Tori.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 984
  • Sandy State Fair.jpg
    Sandy State Fair.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 992

RSC

Here is a picture of Sid, the Res Div. 3 Steer.  I will share photos of both calves later once we get our Prof. pictures back.

RSC

Attachments

• Sid NEW Final.jpg
    Sid NEW Final.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 971

CAB

Tony, what kind of #s did Ne. have for the market steers & heifers and are they moving the fair next yr or the yr after? Brent

RSC

CAB said:
  Tony, what kind of #s did Ne. have for the market steers & heifers and are they moving the fair next yr or the yr after? Brent
It was maybe down some but the barn was still pretty well full.  They have one more year than it goes to GI.  My son and Trae in the pictures will
show their first year in GI.

The final drive for steers was one of the more impressive lineups in some time, IMHO.
RSC

CAB

Any estimation as far as numbers. I was just wondering how stiff the competition is as to how good of a calf it takes to be competitive @ the Ne. State Fair compared to Ia,Il, Mn, Mo. I had heard that the numbers had been down significantly the last few years or so. Wondering if it would be wise to try to get some calves into the hands of of a few little Cornhuskers.

Jill

I don't know about NE, but I do know numbers have very little to do with quality, what you looking for is how good those numbers were.

RSC

CAB said:
  Any estimation as far as numbers. I was just wondering how stiff the competition is as to how good of a calf it takes to be competitive @ the Ne. State Fair compared to Ia,Il, Mn, Mo. I had heard that the numbers had been down significantly the last few years or so. Wondering if it would be wise to try to get some calves into the hands of of a few little Cornhuskers.
  Not sure on the  numbers and haven't been to the other state fairs lately.  The top end of each class has been real good the last 3-4 years.  I am sure not as deep through the class as some of the fairs that have high dollar sales.  A group of Breeders called Nebraska Elite Beef started a fun drive about 6-7 years ago that added to the prize money and it has brought the topend quality up IMO.  The Champ get's around 6,500.  There are alot more calves at the State Fair that came out of coolers compared to only about 5 years ago.

The Market Heifer Div has been very deep the last 2-3 years.  Both Judges have made the comment of how blown away they are of the heifer competition.  The judge this Year was from Colorado.

I am sure there are some good homes for good calves in Nebraska, but on the other hand stay away an let us supply em.  Just kidding  :D
I know people in Nebraska are spending more money than there is Prize money.

RSC

Jill

Don't know about steers, but I would go out on a limb and say your market heifers are probably the top in the country.

RSC

Jill said:
Don't know about steers, but I would go out on a limb and say your market heifers are probably the top in the country.

Jill, There are alot of good steers and heifers raised in Nebraska.  Most of the steers get traded to states that have State Fair Auctions that bring good money
and a good majority of our heifers stay here.

By the way,  the Char heifer above was purchased in Kansas from DP.

RSC

CAB

Thanks Tony. Congrats on a couple of very good calves. how are some of the calves that you pic. this spring filling out? Is your auction pasture or live bids?  I've alwaysintended on making it to the Ne. State Fair and never have. Do they throw the market heifers in with the market steers for an overall champ? I was told by a neighbor that the champion market heifer in his opinion was almost perfect, in fact he said that she was so good that it was a shame that they showed her market. He said that he thought it was the heifer that won the Lincoln AGR breeding show over Sullivan's and Vogel's back in Feb. Hope that you have a good sale Tony. Brent

RSC

CAB said:
  Thanks Tony. Congrats on a couple of very good calves. how are some of the calves that you pic. this spring filling out? Is your auction pasture or live bids?  I've alwaysintended on making it to the Ne. State Fair and never have. Do they throw the market heifers in with the market steers for an overall champ? I was told by a neighbor that the champion market heifer in his opinion was almost perfect, in fact he said that she was so good that it was a shame that they showed her market. He said that he thought it was the heifer that won the Lincoln AGR breeding show over Sullivan's and Vogel's back in Feb. Hope that you have a good sale Tony. Brent

Brent,

The Market heifer was very good as was the Heifer that won last year.  They do compete against the steers in the final drive.  She was shown by Marondes and they do show at alot of the major Spring shows so she sure could have been the heifer you speak of.

Are sale is a private treaty bid-off but not a pasture sale.  We have are calves weaned and halter broke.  Hit the link below to see how the calves look now.  Most of these I pictured in the Spring calf picture thread.

LINK: http://romshekcattle.com/08_supreme_results_sale

Thanks to everyone that replied,

RSC

mike

Marondes market heifer that won at the state fair wasnt the one that won the Lincoln AGR, the heifer that won the AGR was their Chi/Angus that was reserve Chi in the breeding heifer show at the state fair.

Turkey Creek Ranch

I was very impressed with the calves at fair this year. That is one nice steer, I watched most of the show on Sunday, but didn't get to see the final drive on monday, I had a few friends with calves up there, and they did well too. Congrats!

RSC

Here are the Prof. pictures taken of the 2 calves.

RSC

Attachments

• 2008_Champ_Char._Breed._Heifer.jpg
    2008_Champ_Char._Breed._Heifer.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 583
  • 2008_Div.3_Res._Champion.jpg
    2008_Div.3_Res._Champion.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Tori_-_Sid_arena_shot Lightened.jpg
    Tori_-_Sid_arena_shot Lightened.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 582

CAB

They look very good Tony. What is the 3rd pic of and do you know what the char comp. heifer is bred to? Brent

RSC

CAB said:
  They look very good Tony. What is the 3rd pic of and do you know what the char comp. heifer is bred to? Brent

The 3rd picture is the Res Div steer in the final drive on Monday.  The Char composite heifer is bred to WMW!

RSC

40yrold4her

This was our first year showing at the NE state fair, we showed a hereford steer. We pretty much new what the outcome would be from showing against the same competion in previous shows, we did learn alot. I did not like the showmanship competion did not get to much of a chance to show. I thought the judge could of moved the kids around alot more and let them work.