Pictures of my cows, and a few others

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

I know a few ppl were yappin at me that I never post pictures....long story anyhow.  Here are a few of my small cowherd, as well as some other various images. :)  Fell free to comment!

The first two images are of my 13 year old cow.  She is ugly as heck, but consistently calves early, and produces well beyond her looks or means...can't complain too much about her.  She has a PB RA steer calf @ side this year.  

Next cow w/her head down is about 1/4 or 1/8 limi, and RA.  She is an old 4-H heifer.  Attractive, long, adequate muscle.  I would like to just square her up a bit.  Sorry about the pic, she is a grouchy thing and had no interest in standing good for me!

Another PB RA.  She is "short and stout" as a teapot.  Probably a frame 4 or less.  Ha ha, you can tell how sawed-off she really is by how tall her week-old Salute calf is beside her.

Last, we have my favourite, Chika, a 1/4 -1/8 limi (hence the undesirable udder).  I didnt think she was that great as a calf, just average.  However, my father convinced me otherwise.  Shown about 5 times, never placed worse than 2nd in class as a yearling.  She is even better in person, I would change her thick neck, and udder to perfect her though.  Calf is about 10 days old, and off of Salute.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 173

Bawndoh

This is a PB RA again.  Cool looking, clean fronted (although doesnt look so in this pic), was a gorgeous yearling heifer.  I wouldnt change much about her, as my goal is basically just to raise showsteers for 4-H calves.  IMO she is much better than this pic, but was in heat when I was there, and agian had no interest in standing for me, lol.

Next is my sisters calf.  A commercial (were suspecting RAxRed Simmental), she runs about 100 cows with 3 bulls so we have to guesstimate parentage.  She is a month old, and already looking wicked!

Then, same as above parentage as suspected.  A month old steer already showin himself off.  Well see how he grows. 

The three stooges, a simmy x maine x angus cow with her twin girls.  Just cute.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 152
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 168

Bawndoh

More miscellaneous.  The first two are of my "cattle dog".  My min pin (who the cows run away from, probably thinking it is a giant, and really fast rat.)  He is trying to ignore the heifers who are attempting to make friends with him.

Others are just cool shots.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 135

chambero

A pasture full of Red Angus make a pretty scene to look at.

Very nice cows.  And their udders look just fine to me!

justintime

Very good pictures of your cows and their  babies. My only question is how you found time to get some pictures taken?I thought your life was plenty full just getting ready for a wedding!

Bawndoh

justintime said:
Very good pictures of your cows and their  babies. My only question is how you found time to get some pictures taken?I thought your life was plenty full just getting ready for a wedding!
Ha Ha, s'true!
Well to put it into perspective, this is the first time I saw my cows in 6 weeks! 

loveRedcows

Thanks for the snapshots.  It's refreshing to see some in their "working clothes" rather than clipped & posed.  Congrats on your wedding.

Bawndoh

Thank You for the great comments!
They are in great shape.  I would have to commend my sister or her husband on that one, they keep the cows for me.  I am not sure what they are eating right now actually.  I think probably some dessicated oats greenfeed.  No grain.
The pup is a 2 year old minature pinscher.  He is not cowey at all.  He is just fast enough to dart around them without getting hurt!  He ran RIGHT behind the bulls legs the other day, and may have even brushed up against them.  The bull, I think, was just more freaked out, wondering what the heck he was, haha.

Bulldaddy

Bawndoh said:
Thank You for the great comments!
They are in great shape.  I would have to commend my sister or her husband on that one, they keep the cows for me.  I am not sure what they are eating right now actually.  I think probably some dessicated oats greenfeed.  No grain.
The pup is a 2 year old minature pinscher.  He is not cowey at all.  He is just fast enough to dart around them without getting hurt!  He ran RIGHT behind the bulls legs the other day, and may have even brushed up against them.  The bull, I think, was just more freaked out, wondering what the heck he was, haha.

Is his name Lucky?

Bawndoh

Thank You everyone!  No, the dog is actually named Boone, after Boone, IA :)  (thumbsup)

Shady Lane

Hahahaha

Those of us who live north of the 49'th parallel will not be expecting grass any time soon. Especially those of us in the dryer areas!

Last year my cows went to pasture June 14'th, not because there was an abundance of grass by any means but because I was out of hay.

justintime

My pastures are coming good. If we could get a good rain in the next few days, they would come fast now. I have noticed that harvest is about two weeks later for every 100 miles north you go. We live 100 miles north of Williston, ND and harvest is always underway about 2 weeks  before here where I live. I have a friend who lives 100 miles North of here, and his harvest is almost always two weeks behind here. Time of seeding doesn't seem to follow the same rule exactly but the time of harvest seems too. We normally have our cows on pasture by early May. There are occasional years where this is later. My grandfather always said every day you keep the cows off the pasture in the spring, means two days of extra grazing in the fall. I think there is some truth to this, so I don't get too crazy putting out to grass too early. After 7 months of feeding cows, what is another week or two... haha!