Pinzauger ?'s

Help Support Steer Planet:

Schneider Show Calves

Im thinking about getting some pinz and want to know if its worth it...
Where is a breed located in Illinois... i cant find any but i have researched enough...

CPL

They're aren't many big name Pinzgauer breeders in Illinois. However, if you want I can give you a few names ( a couple in MO, 1 in IL). Just PM me.

red

I know there is a bunch in NE. They have them on display at the Ohio Beef Expo.

Red

Rocky Hill Simmental

Around here a bunch of people are getting into the pinzgaur style (white tops and tails, color sided) for their commercial herds. I'm not sure where they're getting them from but a lot of people like the looks of them and pay a lot for that color at the auctions. I never herd of any FB or PB breeders of them around here is the weird thing. The farm next to mine has about 10 of them in their herd.

I had a yellow heifer with a white top and tail that I showed in 2005 and 2006 and everyone thought she was a pinzguar but she was actually a simmental x charolais. When I showed her in 2005 she was the only one colored like that but when I showed her in 2006, there were probably 5 others with those markings, except in black and red. Same for 2007, there were a few of them there.
I bred that yellow pinz-styled (or "skunk striped" as I call her) to a black bull and she had a smokey "skunk striped" heifer calf that I'm thinking about showing next year.

CPL

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
I'm not sure where they're getting them from but a lot of people like the looks of them and pay a lot for that color at the auctions.

Interesting. How much is "a lot" to you. Most every report I've heard they are docked majorly in any sale barn.

jldshorthorns

Thats very true up here in Canada as well. Many calves that arn't a solid color are docked. But even grey's up here are going for more than the Pinz. I have also heard many things about their leg and foot structure...apparently they don't last that long. But thats only what I have heard I could be wrong haha. I really do like how muscled up they can get, yet retain the femininity.

CPL

jldshorthorns said:
Thats very true up here in Canada as well. Many calves that arn't a solid color are docked. But even grey's up here are going for more than the Pinz. I have also heard many things about their leg and foot structure...apparently they don't last that long. But thats only what I have heard I could be wrong haha. I really do like how muscled up they can get, yet retain the femininity.

I would say that stayability in the herd would be different from cow to cow. The place I went a looked at had some older cattle and a pair of angus cows that were 16+ and still were having calves.

Pinzgauers are nice cattle and their disposition is wonderful, but marketing them is a totally different story.

Rocky Hill Simmental

CPL said:
I'm not sure where they're getting them from but a lot of people like the looks of them and pay a lot for that color at the auctions.

Interesting. How much is "a lot" to you. Most every report I've heard they are docked majorly in any sale barn.

I guess I should rephrase that  - A lot heifers aren't going to feedlots because they're going above market price, instead, people want those markings in their herd. Just the other day someone came to our shop and was bragging that their cow gave birth to twins of that color two years in a row. Right now I'd assume that high would be 1.00 - 1.10 per lb on a 400 lb feeder calf since a lot of heifers are only bringing .95 per lb.  

I don't really know much about the breed. That's just what I've heard from some local commercial cattle farmers. I should ask some of the people around where they've been getting them and what they like about them (I've also been hearing that smokey and white cattle with black noses are popular and there have been quite a few of those appearing in local pastures too  ;)).

Last time we sold calves a light red bull calf with a white face and socks sold higher than any of the solid colors we brought over to the sale barn - we had solid blacks, solid reds, red baldy, and black baldy but for whatever reason, they were more interested in him.

SKF

We have a couple of Pinzauger. Never had any problems with them especially structure and they can calf any size calf. The one in the picture is 15yrs old and has a solid calf every year. The black and white calf in the picture is her calf this year. They have great materal traits so I think they produce better heifers than steers. The steer calves I wish had a little less frame and more muscle. We have been crossing them with angus and maine anjou. Last year we sold a heifer calve out of this cow that did really well in the show ring. This year we breed the one pictured to our shorthorn bull so that should be interesting.

Attachments

• 2007 calves 007a.JPG
    2007 calves 007a.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 242

garybob

The trouble with showing them is.... well......Show judges are about as prejudiced as Order Buyers. Crownovers in SW MO had a heifer that was half British White, half Solid-red Shorthorn (7026 bertz-bred), and," came out colred somewhere between a Leopard and a Skunk", to quote Dr. Jerry himself. They campaigned her pretty hard in the Commercial/AOB classes. she came up in the Final Drive, and quite often judges would remark about how they woulda placed her higher, if they'd known what she was.

She was a good heifer, and She's still a good cow at the Crownover place.

Most Judges ain't a pimple on a Cattleman's A$$!

CPL

Rocky Hill what state do you live in if you don't mind me asking.

SKF nice cow any idea what her frame is?

CPL

CPL said:
Rocky Hill what state do you live in if you don't mind me asking.

Missouri

Ok, there's a few Pinzgauer Breeders down there. Just as with any breed there are good and bad animals. One of the reasons I decided not to go that route was the lack of performance data. That is slowly changing, but I still don't know how much trust I would put in the APA's EPDs. There are a couple quirks, but everyone that I know of that has some are tremendously pleased. I just don't know how mass amounts of sales would do. Although I don't have the figures in front of me, one of the recent, more popular sales, The Sterling Silver Select Pinzgauer female sale, (I am not discrediting any of the consignors) sale results were not impressive at all. They make Hereford, Angus, Simmental, etc. breeders look like millionares.

SKF

CPL- Thanks, she is probably a 6 frame size. She is a good size cow. She has been a very dependable cow that I never have to worry about.