Planning Space for Hay Racks

Help Support Steer Planet:

mlk32

We recently completed a new barn and are trying to plan for future growth.  How much space per mature cow should we allow for wall mounted hay racks?  We feed in the barn with small bales. 

red

Feed Bunks

Calves are not usually very competitive at the feed bunk, so in a limit-fed situation 22” to 26” per head for grain or supplement diets is required. When feeding hay or silage that is available at all times, 4-6” is needed per head. If feeding a total mixed ration that is always available, 12-18” is required per head. For bale rings, allow 4-6” of space per head if hay is always available and 18-24” per head for limited feeding. Although hay rings usually have around 18 spaces, maximum usage is at about 2/3 capacity (personal observation).

Not sure if this helps. I just googled the information request.

Red

DL

Hey mlk32  how are you? What kind of mounted hay racks?

mlk32

Hi DL and Red,

Nothing fancy on the hay racks meaning my husband is planning on building them himself.  We were then going to fix them to one wall and pitch hay down out of the hay loft.  I just want to be sure we are giving the mature girls enough room and we plan adequate space for future additions.  Any ideas or tips would also be appreciated. 

MLK32

Latest posts