Please be careful!

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

Hey guys,
Got a call this evening, someone I know was killed tonight when some equipment he was working on fell on him and crushed him.  It is horrible.  His daughter, who has been one of my best friends and is also married to my cousin, was going to be induced to have her baby in a day or 2.  It is sickening.  I had just seen her this afternoon too.

I know there are a lot of farmers on this site...Please be careful out there.  It can happen to anyone.  :'(

Fluffer

ATOZ

So sorry for your loss. Thanks for the reminder on being careful! We have alot of farmers loading out grain right now and have heard of two getting into the augar. A good time to hug the wife and kids!

fluffer

Thanks for your thoughts and paryers for the family.  I can not imagine how difficult it must be for them.  It is times like these that I am reminded that I have never had a bad day.  Be thankful for all blessings big and small  (angel)

cowz

Wow.  I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. 

I am always checking on hubby, who is on blood thinner, when he is working alone. 
(He is not allowed to use the chain saw unless he has a "buddy" along!)

This week we are calving some older Reg. Angus cows we bought.....and they are so nasty at first!  (I know...they are Angus....that's just how they are....good moms.)  I was asking him to take the sorting stick along when he tagged this morning.

It is also good to remind the young folks to be careful when they are out horseback or on 4 wheelers, etc.  Thank the Lord for cell phones.!!

shortyjock89

I'm really sorry too, and I'm thankful for all my blessings as well.

Cowz- Your husband probably doesn't always enjoy being checked up on, but I imagine that my wife will be checking on me too, but us dudes on blood thinners know that you're just lookin out for us ;) sometimes it's hard to admit that you have to be more careful, especially when you're an active fella...but being on the meds is alot better than the alternative!!  Thank the Lord for mothers and wives like you.

knabe

my cousin had his gut pierced by a 3-wheeler, recovered
a great great uncle was ripped to shreds by a multi horse drawn thresher and died
recently a man drowned in a vat of sulphuric acid that was 24 inches wide, 18 inches front to back and 36 inches deep.  no one knows how he got in, though the bath he just moved circuit boars from was hydrochloric acid.  he had no respriator, and HCL really burns the nostrils and can suffocate you rather quickly.  he probably dropped something and reached down and was overcome.  can't believe robots aren't used for this.

i had a drag marker on a tractor hit me in the head once.  maybe that's why i'm such a jerk.

cowz

shortyjock89 said:
I'm really sorry too, and I'm thankful for all my blessings as well.

Cowz- Your husband probably doesn't always enjoy being checked up on, but I imagine that my wife will be checking on me too, but us dudes on blood thinners know that you're just lookin out for us ;) sometimes it's hard to admit that you have to be more careful, especially when you're an active fella...but being on the meds is alot better than the alternative!!  Thank the Lord for mothers and wives like you.

You are so kind, SJ89!  He really bruises bad.  He have a standing joke when I question a new bruise....and he says "Hello, Social Services?"  

Seriously, now is a good time to remind Grampa, dad and the kids to play it safe during calving and snow removal season.  My grandpa lost 4 fingers in a snow blower.

shortyjock89

Hey, I just call it how I see it lol! I'm lucky in that I don't bruise very easily...yet...I've got a long ways to go..and by the time I have my own kids, I could be poppin 10mg's of coumadin/day.  I hope it doesn't get to be like that..but it could..right now I'm on a rotation of 4mg and 4.5 mg every other day.

red

I worry about Justme's hubby too. He's on blood thinners also since his clot. I go crazy some times of the year w/ my hubby. I know how also lack of sleep or not eating well can be a big factor & can very dangerous.
Will add the family to my growing list of people to pray for.
I used to do farm saftey for classes in schools. Tried to reach the youngest ones first. Playing around gravity wagons, riding on tractors & playing near PTO's are big worries. Of course the hubby then goes on to tell me how they used to bicyle off the barn roof. No wonder his mom was all grey when she died!  :eek: ::)

Red

shortyjock89

Red, sounds like your husband was involved with some pretty cool "barnyard Olympics"...sounds like some of the stuff I did when I was little...like ramp the go-kart over the woodchip pile, or jump the culvert with the dirtbike...thank goodness I've grown up and moved to to safer activities...like chasing girls...lol

showsteerdlux

Id consider riding the dirtbike safer. Now you have to deal with mad daddys armed witha nice double barrel shotgun with your name engraved as target practice! ;D

shortyjock89

Red- sometimes I do...you know how college girls are...

Knabe- Well, it's not exactly safe, but in terms relative to my antics from my childhood...yes, chasing girls is safer..maybe not to my pride, but to my life...probably anyhow...

BCCC

shortyjock89 said:
Red, sounds like your husband was involved with some pretty cool "barnyard Olympics"...sounds like some of the stuff I did when I was little...like ramp the go-kart over the woodchip pile, or jump the culvert with the dirtbike
so is rolling off a 2 story house in a wheel chair bad??? what if you are trying to land on a trampoline?? what about trying to jump a 4 wheeler off of the side of a silo pit, into a pile of ground up hay??? Wow i just relized I do some stupid things ;D (angel)