Please Help Me?!

Help Support Steer Planet:

tackes

Hi!
I really am desperate. My jersey steer, that I've worked with since January (he's now 7 months old), has become quite unhandlable. Today, I took him out of his pen and he went wild. I should note a few things have changed in the past week and 1/2. He is now in a pen with no other cattle in sight. He also is in a new home. He has human companionship every day, and I am there every other day. However, today he tried to head-but me. (He's never done this before...ever). I couldn't control him. Before he was the perfect steer. Would "halter-up" and "work" on command. I cannot spend more time with him, that's not an option.

What can I do for him to make him happy again? What kind of other animal would get along with if that would even work?

He is my therapy and my best friend on my worst day. I cannot stand to see him angry like this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• Buddy grazing.jpg
    Buddy grazing.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 311

red

I used to show Jerseys too! Very nice animals but can be tempermental.

Sounds like he misses his buddys. Anyway you could put another calf w/ him? Also play music in the barn or talk radio. Anything to give him some feeling of company.

Red

(welcome) tackes

genes

If you can't get another calf, would a sheep or goat be an option?

red

or even a dog, my blue heeler loves to spend time w/ the calves. Not sure if a cat would be much help.

Red

tackes

red said:
I used to show Jerseys too! Very nice animals but can be tempermental.

Sounds like he misses his buddys. Anyway you could put another calf w/ him? Also play music in the barn or talk radio. Anything to give him some feeling of company.

Red

(welcome) tackes

He does not go in the barn and currently there is no electricity running to the barn. I do not think another calf would be an option at this time. Where he's at there are going to be water buffalo that have never been exposed to cattle diseases so I've had to spend well over $300 for Buddy's vet bill already with tests and vaccinations. I will not do that again. (I cannot afford that).

I realize that I do need to get him a companion of some sort, because obviously humans are not good enough for him... (lol)

Thanks so much!!!

red

get a radio that runs on batteries.

Water Buffalo, now that's a new one on me! Where about's do you live?

Red

tackes

genes said:
If you can't get another calf, would a sheep or goat be an option?

YES! a Goat would be an option. But I am concerned that Buddy would not be so nice to the goat? Or would he just be happy to have a 'friend'? Are there large breeds of goats? Would a goat actually help? Or would it be like putting a dog with a cat? What kind of goat do I get? What kind of diseases do I have to be concerned about with goats? What about a sheep? What is the best for a steer that is close to 350#'s?

Any other suggestions would be great!

I'm going to go see him today and try to spend time with him. Any special handling tips from those with more experience with me? I'm going to need them.

Thank you so much!!!

tackes

red said:
get a radio that runs on batteries.

Water Buffalo, now that's a new one on me! Where about's do you live?

Red

I live in southwest WI. This farm will be the only water buffalo farm in WI. I could try the radio. I think I will pick up some batteries today and give it a shot. According to my farmer friend, water buffalo have the highest % of butterfat and other stuff. This is supposed to be the highest quality of milk in the dairy industry. There are also farms in Vermont, Texas, Oregon, and California that I know of. He currently does not have his water buffalo on property yet, so I don't know much else.

What about a Donkey? would that work? that would be about his size.... Hmmmmm...Any thoughts?

red

I think for a Jersey a goat or donkey would be fine. I guess whatever you have available to you.
As far a breeds, no idea. I know there are lots of different breeds of goats.
Also for diseases, check w/ your local vet. You'll want to find out potential probems in your area.

Red

renegade

Blue heelers are good dogs for anything( ;D i raise them) and at one time our mustang had a wild pet rabbit that he would nap with so i think your goat could get along with a goat.

pigguy

what ever you do do not get a fainting goat. as soon ass the calf scares the goat the goat will faint and the calf will probally crush it. i know i saw it happen. although fainting goats are pretty cool to have around. we have 4. if you get a sheep do not get a hampshire. maybe a dorset though. they arent to stupid

genes

Aside from the fainting goats, I can't see breed mattering that much.  Nubians can be kind of hard keepers I guess.  For butting, as long as you don't get a wee young one, I get the feeling it would stand up for itself all right.

Interesting that you will have water buffalo around.  Maybe you can get some pictures for us curious people on here :)

tackes

Thanks to all who gave me advice. We are currently looking at goats.. Maybe getting 2 of them. Thanks for the advice about fainting goats. Yes, I could see that happening too. To Farmboy, I went out there yesterday and stayed away from petting his head and he did seem calmer. I am also going to start giving him grain (he is currently on grass only) as a treat/reward in small amounts (no more than a handful at a time and no more than 2x's a day). I bought a different halter that seems to control him somewhat better. I also kept his head up at all times. I should mention that I had to halter him from the other side of the fence. What can I do when I first walk into his pen to keep him calm? What about when I am leaving?

What I am wondering now is what other handling advice do ya'll have for me? He is not for show; however, I sure would like him to look and/or at least act like one of the best... (lol). Nor is he for meat. (unless he becomes totally unhandleable). Which brings me to another question--How do I keep that from happening?

As before, any advice would be greatly appreciated, as he is my best friend on my worst days!

I will ask my farmer friend to email a picture of a water buffalo so I can post it...(or perhaps I could tell him about this site?)

Thanks in advance.

PS. I've had 2 blue heelers in my life and I wish I could have one right now. They are one of the best breeds!

red

the best thing to do to keep him calm is to keep yourself calm. I've noticed that when I get upset or nervous, my cattle can sense it. It seems that if they know I'm scared of them or timid, they react. Just keep a level head, approch slowly & don't make jerky movements.

Red

farmboy

AS FAR AS SCRATCHING GOES, JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE HEAD BUT THE BEST AND WHAT I THINK ARE THE BEST PLACES TO SCRATCH ARE BETWEEN THE SHOULDERS AND TAILHEAD

red

I've got a heifer that likes an entire body rub. I think if she thought she could get away w/ it she's be in my lap. Silly thing gets jealous when I work w/ the other calves & tries to follow me out of the pen. She's just like her sister, my red heifer, who was the same way.
Of course, I still have former show heifers that are still the same way. It is nice to be able to put the heat patches on them just standing there because they still want to be petted.

Red

genes

The places they tend to like scratching the most....tailhead, between the shoulder blades, and in the twist area (back of rump under the tail).

When you go into the pen, don't approach directly from the front, come in from the side and scratch one of those places he likes.  Then when you halter, try to do it standing at his side rather than in front of him, as it's safer.

Like others said, don't play with the head much.  You are also doing a good thing by keeping his head up.