Please Help Me?!

Help Support Steer Planet:

JbarL

cattle are herding by nature....another pal is defintely my thoughts...we always had at least two even if one was exclusively for butchering....not to sure about the goat/dog/donkey  combo only because we always used another steer.....but if these folks think it will work...i would have to agree that there experience...( have seen em kill goats before though)...not sure of your facility but has he been through any trama.....storms/ lightning/ wild dogs:coyotes/ gun fire..jackass people around him ect....even snakes??? ) definetly agree with farmboy and others on the scratching....i stay away from to high on the forhead and never behind the ears....never had jerseys...and most of the bad stuff ive seen has been with older ones...seperation/ isolation could have been a factor here...but the very sudden overnight like change ( other than the jersey breed itself ) got my attention...and unfortunatly the reason  is not as critical as the danger it has created....not sure how long you been working with him, but seems patience is going to be critical as well as your saftey....you seem to realize that " he's not the same" and the utmost caution would be the first on my list..jbarl

tackes

genes said:
The places they tend to like scratching the most....tailhead, between the shoulder blades, and in the twist area (back of rump under the tail).

When you go into the pen, don't approach directly from the front, come in from the side and scratch one of those places he likes.  Then when you halter, try to do it standing at his side rather than in front of him, as it's safer.

We haven't taken him out in the past 2 days because it has been miserably hot here, and he was panting, I figured that might work him up too much. When I first taught him to "halter up" it was always from the side, as I had to pin him against a wall at first. He is now used to it going on from the side. However, since I haven't taken him out in a couple of days, I am sure that tomorrow will be a trial for both of us. I was there and we petted and petted and petted. He mooed when I walked away and had to go, it nearly broke my heart! :'(

What do I do when he comes directly at me? (not in a mean way, just extremely excited to see me?)

tackes

JbarL said:
cattle are herding by nature....another pal is defintely my thoughts...we always had at least two even if one was exclusively for butchering....not to sure about the goat/dog/donkey  combo only because we always used another steer.....but if these folks think it will work...i would have to agree that there experience...( have seen em kill goats before though)...not sure of your facility but has he been through any trama.....storms/ lightning/ wild dogs:coyotes/ gun fire..jackass people around him ect....even snakes??? ) definetly agree with farmboy and others on the scratching....i stay away from to high on the forhead and never behind the ears....never had jerseys...and most of the bad stuff ive seen has been with older ones...seperation/ isolation could have been a factor here...but the very sudden overnight like change ( other than the jersey breed itself ) got my attention...and unfortunatly the reason  is not as critical as the danger it has created....not sure how long you been working with him, but seems patience is going to be critical as well as your saftey....you seem to realize that " he's not the same" and the utmost caution would be the first on my list..jbarl
The water buffalo calves will be coming in a few weeks. Is it okay to wait until then to get him a companion? I have been going out there everyday, and my farmer friend has also been spending more time with him. He seems to know most of his limits. It has been stormy quite a few days ago, actually before I first posted...Hmm..Raccoons are around as they killed all my chickens...Would they scare him? As far as jackass people, he experienced that where we all lived on a farm together. He didn't like the owner of the farm (the guy I bought him from) because whenever I had him out and was training him, he would come up and slap his neck pretty hard. Idiot...I was not home one day and the vet was there to look at his ear, and the farm owner couldn't catch him. He wondered why....Duh! Now he is where people love and respect the animal that he has become.

Why never behind the ears??? That seems odd to me. He seems to miss me scratching his forehead, and will try incessantly to get me to do it.  ::)

Buddy will be 7 months old tomorrow.

Do you think he will ever be the same? He seems to be calming down. I used to be able to sit on the ground and he would stand next to me without a threat; however, now I am not sure enough of our relationship to do that.

He definitely is not the same as he used to be. It seems like he is going through growth spurts and attitude changes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You all have been great so far! Please keep the advice coming, as this is my first and only steer.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

shortyjock89

Sometimes thunderstorms can spook calves, but I think that Buddy is growing up and might just be starting to act like a male.  I've noticed that the Shorthorn bull calf that we're showing is starting to act like a bull and he's seven months old too. He's not agressive or anything, he just is starting to play with the steer in his pen a little rougher.  I would try maybe using a temporary nose ring (or snub) when working with him. 

RE scratching behind the ears- I think that scratching behind the ears may encourage Buddy to toss his head.  He might just be playing, but that sort of playing can get too rough as he gets older. 

Take your time, and be very careful.  Be patient with him and he might become quite docile again, but I wouldn't count on Buddy being the "pet" he once was..GOOD LUCK!! (welcome)

farmboy

PUBERTY? IVE CERTAINLY SEEN IT ALOT WITH OUR CALVES. LIKE AT THE FAIR, I SHARE SPACE WITH HIS CALVES AND THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE A DUAL BEFORE COMING TO TERMS WITH EACH OTHERS COMPANY ;D

shortyjock89

farmboy said:
PUBERTY? IVE CERTAINLY SEEN IT ALOT WITH OUR CALVES. LIKE AT THE FAIR, I SHARE SPACE WITH HIS CALVES AND THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE A DUAL BEFORE COMING TO TERMS WITH EACH OTHERS COMPANY ;D

Precisely what I was thinking.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but it would explain his behavior. I think it would anyhow....

DL

I guess I got here a little late but here goes

#1 who castrated this steer and are we sure that both golden nuggets were adequately removed - sudden change in behavior might be related to change in environment but I would be worried about a titch of testicular tissue rearing it's ugly head - and there is nothing uglier that and adult Jersey bull (not so much in looks but more approach to life) - I know you already spent a bunch of cash on Buddy - but it might be worth drawing a testosterone level on him - - if he wasn't properly castrated you need a change of plans and to be extremely careful.

#2 Temple Grandin would tell you that cattle are worried by novelty, shadows, dark places etc (go to her web site) try to look in Buddy's pen like he looks and sees his environment - because of different exposures different bovines respond differently to different things - wild turkeys don't bother my cows at all but a pea hen causes one to launch herself on the quonset hut, an errant goose (domestic) caused a stampede, and a baby hawk nearly drove them nuts (I rescued him and he is about 2 weeks from being released- he went from a baby to a "real hawk" in a short period)

Goats - a goat with horns would deal fine with a steer - don't get a fainting goat  (I won't go in to why I think breeding fainting goats is a bad idea) - get a goat you can handle (stay away from the meat goats and meat goat crosses - they are usually a titch wilder than the dairy goats) - another idea is to put a hot wire up so the steer can't get thru but the goat can go underneath if the calf becomes a pain. Remember though goats are notorious for escaping...

Good luck...

tackes

His previous owner/farmer castrated him before I started working with him I would say that must have been in early January? He used the rubber band thing (sorry I don't know the technical term for this). This definitely could be an option. What can be done if there were some testicular tissue left? If it is not too major, I will have it done, no questions asked. (my hubby will have to work more, but he loves me. (lol)

At 7 months he's going through puberty? Wow I guess I really was not prepared for all of this to happen now. Okay, so what can I do about this besides being extremely patient and constantly reminding him that I am the BOSS?

I only have him eating grass, not high-quality grass, but grass. and about 3 cups of grain/day. Should he be getting more? What about hay? Should he have free-choice hay and/or grain even though he's on grass? If yes, how much grain should he be getting? I'm not looking at extreme weight gain, just a healthy weight that is appropriate for his age.

I will be sure to do a complete walkthough of his pen tomorrow.

I am sorry for asking so many "newbie" questions, but I guess its the only way to learn. I thank all of you "veterans" out there for having patience with me. :)

shortyjock89

tackes said:
His previous owner/farmer castrated him before I started working with him I would say that must have been in early January? He used the rubber band thing (sorry I don't know the technical term for this). This definitely could be an option. What can be done if there were some testicular tissue left? If it is not too major, I will have it done, no questions asked. (my hubby will have to work more, but he loves me. (lol)

At 7 months he's going through puberty? Wow I guess I really was not prepared for all of this to happen now. Okay, so what can I do about this besides being extremely patient and constantly reminding him that I am the BOSS?

I only have him eating grass, not high-quality grass, but grass. and about 3 cups of grain/day. Should he be getting more? What about hay? Should he have free-choice hay and/or grain even though he's on grass? If yes, how much grain should he be getting? I'm not looking at extreme weight gain, just a healthy weight that is appropriate for his age.

I will be sure to do a complete walkthough of his pen tomorrow.

I am sorry for asking so many "newbie" questions, but I guess its the only way to learn. I thank all of you "veterans" out there for having patience with me. :)

I would put out grass hay for him, especially if the grass in his pen is getting short.  If he looks healthy and not skinny or sluggish in his activity, I wouldn't feed him alot of grain. Thousands of cows do just fine on grass and a little hay.

When you go through his pen, look for things that make big shadows, could be noisy, or flap around in the wind.  Cattle are curious critters, and will play with pretty much anything they can find.  Maybe get one of those big horse toys (they look like a big ball with a handle on it).  He might like something to occupy himself with when you're not around.  Cattle are pretty much like people when it comes to personalities and things like that.  When they get bored they want something to do..usually eat or sleep..but sometimes they like to play!

Being his boss is good, but remember: No animal is worth you or your family getting injured over.  Too many good folks get hurt by animals that are "pets".  I'm not saying that  you should be afraid of Buddy or anything, but make sure to watch him whenever you are in the pen with him, especially as he gets older. 

I  hope that I've answered a few of your questions, and I think that I speak for everyone on the board when I say that there are no stupid questions, in fact, we love to see new people posting and asking questions! Good luck with him, and keep us updated!

JbarL

tackes said:
genes said:
If you can't get another calf, would a sheep or goat be an option?

YES! a Goat would be an option. But I am concerned that Buddy would not be so nice to the goat? Or would he just be happy to have a 'friend'? Are there large breeds of goats? Would a goat actually help? Or would it be like putting a dog with a cat? What kind of goat do I get? What kind of diseases do I have to be concerned about with goats? What about a sheep? What is the best for a steer that is close to 350#'s?

Any other suggestions would be great!

I'm going to go see him today and try to spend time with him. Any special handling tips from those with more experience with me? I'm going to need them.

Thank you so much!!!

special handling " experience  tips "  in your case ( age/breed).....may come from pain and injury of the handler whom replys...no matter what it is/was.....that has him " a bit out of sorts"...extreme caution ( and the testosterone levels suggested by dl ) should be your only concern here for now....especially if he seems to " return to normal" in the future....ie...its always the unloaded gun that gets someone hurt or worse......i may get a bit of critisizm here but .....here goes......sounds like your "baby" has had all the ingredients to become a bit "spoiled"....this age is a bit the same as a teenager ( attitude/ stubburness/and sometimes even lashing out from time to time)..but i have found that food seems to always be the common denominator...ie no matter how far apart my teenageer and i  get in a discussion or "debate"...a bit of seperation and eventully by the end of the day/or night...   hunger always brings her to the table with me or to my wallet for a taco bell supplement......but either way it brings us " together" for a short time  and it things seem become less worth arguing about and we continue on ( for  a bit any way )....sooooo....basically if you upset his natural hunger schedule and basically make him " come to you" ...and make him come hungry....the food will be his only concern ...and
now you have just got back a little bit of who is who here.......ii t wont happen over night ....and you dont have to starve him...but he will either show some kind of " gratitude"  displayedby his gentlessnes while literally "eating out of your hand" in the future..if your rationing is a bit sparce say for dinner and youi happen to sleep in a bit the next morining and the ration stays the same and yoiu walk away when he finishes he may even " ask" for more....i which case you go back and oblige him with some more....... thats the positive side.....or he will continue to be an ass...and maybe even get worse as your show of control makes his  "male"  more evident .. and thats the negative side and hence right back to  lines of dl's  #1 conclussion......but utmost caution is my main advice here....jbarl

farmboy

AS FOR COONS YOU MENTIONED, THEY DONT MIND EACHOTHER. IVE WALKED OUT TO MY STEERS PEN AND SEEN A COON (SAME ONE ALWAYS :D) EATING SOME SPILLED FEED TOGETHER. I HAVENT SEEN HIM IN ABOUT A WEEK, WONDER WHERE HE WENT, BUT GOOD RIDDENS!  ;D

tackes

Buddy has never had a bath! Guess maybe he needs one. My husband will be working with him more because I just tore a muscle in my shoulder. However, I could tie him up...Wonder why I never thought of that.  :eek:

Farmboy---(lol)

Yesterday when I was working with him, it seemed as though he was okay as long as I let him eat the grass and didn't interrupt him. I am wondering how he will act in a few weeks when he moves into a larger pen with the water buffalo? From what I hear, he associates the water tank being filled with him getting human attention. Is this a good or bad thing? Are there any special treats that steers or cattle in general just go crazy for?

Here's a question for all...What do you do to or give your steer or other animal as a treat or reward that he/she just goes nuts over?

Thanks!

red

my cows love apples, carrots, zuchinni & cantaloupe. I give them the left overs from the garden.

Red