pneumonia-mycotil

Help Support Steer Planet:

blue

Just wondering what the best med for pneumonia is? I was told to use mycotil. Can anyone tell me if its a one time shot or how often do you have to give it?

hamburgman

Tilmicosin
50% (6) Bibersteinia trehalosi
0% (302) E coli
94% (67) Histoplilus somni
96% (25) Moraxella Bovis
46% (200) Mannheimia haemolytica
60% (129) Pasteurella Multocida[/font][/font]

The above is from ISU Veterinary Diagnostic Lab's 2011 report on bacterial susceptibility.  I like to use it to monitor which drugs I should be using for cases.  If you don't live in the Midwest area, you could see if any of the Vet schools in the your area have something compatible.

ejoe326

I like that list.

Personally micotil is not worth the risk.  Obviously since it sells I am in the minority.

Is this a calf?  Temp?  Any other symptoms? 

blue

The calf  is a month old. Snotty nose. Veey dopey. Weezing a bit. Still sucks the cow.

ejoe326

Has it been vaccinated?

What else do you have besides Micotil?

We've been hitting respiratory with NuFlor and pen with pre def or dex if necessary.  We also have been using some of the Zuprevo which is ridiculously expensive.  It does not seem to be working any better than the Nuflor combo this year.  If they are real droopy we will give them MultiMin too.  I hate using so much on these calves but it's been a bad year.

We've had what looks like colds with goopy eyes and just blah.  Slight temp plus other obvious signs of respiratory.

Our calves all get Inforce when born and up until this year we haven't had any respiratory to speak of. 

BTDT

In case you were unaware: Micotil can kill a human. It is also prescription only drug, so your veterinarian should be able to tell you if they recommend one day or multiple doses.

I think you made the right "diagnosis" but you should call and get advice from a veterinarian as to what drug is working best in your area. 

Draxxin, Nuflor, Nuflor Gold, Baytril are just a few antibiotics of choice.

Bulldaddy

I switched to Draxxin after using Micotil for many years.  Micotil works great for respiratory infections.  You give a shot under the skin and it lasts for three days.  Dosage is based on the calf's weight.  But it can kill you like BTDT points out.  I actually stuck myself with a syringe full of Micotil once while wrestling a big calf to the ground in a pasture. Didn't inject any of it but still scared the heck out of me.  That is why I stopped using it.  Draxxin works just as good without the danger of accidental injection.

Will

We have also switched to Draxxin.  I would talk to my vet, then if she was mine I would give her a dose of Draxxin and Banamine. 

hamburgman

I like micotil, cheap, effective and fast acting.  Draxxin takes 24 hours most times to start having an effect.  So in chronic cases Draxxin is not the go to.