Pneumonia

Help Support Steer Planet:

onthegofarmer

Is anybody else fighting pneumonia with these up and down temps.  It needs to get cold and stay cold!!!

klintdog

I've been fighting it since we got home from Billings. Just when we would get one done, another heifer would catch it. Last Saturday we brought 8 more bulls over to my place and this morning 3 of them had snotty noses. Finally had to buy a new bottle of Draxxin to have on hand in case it gets much worse.

We were at 70 on Sunday, low of 30, yesterday was 60, low of 25, today is 50, tomorrow night we're supposed to have a blizzard.

renegade

The guy I get my herefords from has lost several young calves too it and I know everyone around here is having trouble. Now its been raining and windy all week and I think its gonna start snowing

onthegofarmer

Here in Ohio it has been 70 the past 2 days and mid 30's at night.  We had 2 heifers about a month ago we fought this with when the whether was changing and then yesterday we had 1 off feed and 4 others with temps.  Something has to change in this wheather.

shortyjock89

Luckily, all of our calves have done really well with the weather changes.  Of course, on the warmer days, we run fans more, and on the cold ones, less.  I don't know if it has helped or not, but we're trying to keep them about the same temp.  None have gone off feed, and not one snotty nose yet!

klintdog

Are you guys using any tetra crumbles in the feed or anything?
At what point do you decide that a calf is bad enough to hit with Draxxin or NuFlor, or your medicine of choice?

Jill

The key here is to not let them get bad enough, we hit them with Draxxin as soon as we see a problem.