Point Taken or Smooth Sailing ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

maverick

I am trying to decide what to breed some 1/2 Maine Draft Pick cows to.  They are medium framed with decent necks and sholders. I need a bull that will not downsize. They need more rib and thickness. I thought Point Taken or Smooth Sailing might work. Any opinions or  other ideas would be appreciated!

kk

Point taken will add more guts bone and overall mass than smooth sailing smooth sailings tend to be to round an high flanked for me but are hairier than point takens as a whole

nck21

Might consider Bojo. He's half Maine. I have one coming in a couple weeks. I really like Smooth Sailing as well but don't know what to use him on.

cattlepimp

Breaking news! Just got done with a c-section....Point Taken bull out of a simmy/angus cow.....125 pounds! Sure hope my smooth sailing calves come a bit easier! Also a friend of mine used 5 straws of point taken, 3 stuck and three were pulled! Hope this helps with yer future decisions

Alpha

cattlepimp said:
Breaking news! Just got done with a c-section....Point Taken bull out of a simmy/angus cow.....125 pounds! Sure hope my smooth sailing calves come a bit easier! Also a friend of mine used 5 straws of point taken, 3 stuck and three were pulled! Hope this helps with yer future decisions

hey i bet thats better than Heat Wave

maverick

Thank you for the replies!  I have two Point Taken's coming in a couple of weeks, I hope they are not that big. I guess after they are born that will help with the decision.

BRdoc

We have had 10 Point Taken calves in the last week. All came unassisted with the largest being 98#. All calves were within 2 days of due date. 5 bulls and 5 heifers. Very impressed so far. Lots of hair & ample bone.

CM

Had a point Taken out of a mature cow was a hard pull. 100 lb heifer calf. Sucks that we had to pull her but she is one of our best calves, big boned and hairy!

frostback

We had 11. From 80lbs being the lightest to 115lbs. We helped a 108 bull calf some but more of a losing daylight thing more than a problem. They got up and nursed well and we love the calves. We are using him again on good fronted ones. Some can be a little short necked.

TMJ Show Cattle

Have seen good calves out of both bulls.be cautious when breeding either one . Front end problems have occured.

Dusty

Here is a Point Taken x Meyer

He weighs a little over a thousand.  Pretty sure the barn could blow away and he wouldn't pull his head out of the feedpan to notice.

Attachments

• ashtyn-steer2010-1.JPG
    ashtyn-steer2010-1.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 150
  • ashtyn-steer2010-3.JPG
    ashtyn-steer2010-3.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 171

rtmcc

How are the Smooth Sailing's coming for calving?? we have a couple coming later on out of mature Angus and Sim-Angus cows.  This is our first venture into the clubby deal and outside of the pure bred deal. we've calved a lot of them over the years and not much scares me but I keep hearing all the horror stories.  The cows are bred for calving ease.  Just wondering  about the Smooth Sailing part of the equation.

Thanks for the help!
Ron
<cowboy>