• I won't.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I most certainly won't.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Austin is crazy.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

chambero

I hate to say it, but I almost don't care anymore.  I hate how we tear down our presidents.  We make them and potential candidates look so bad that nobody really good would even want the job.  I think almost all go in there with good intent, but it takes so many favors and deal to get there that those guys wake one day and don't stand for a single thing they did when they first embarked on their political careers.

We all like to pretend that we have strong, unmovable stances on one side of the aisle or the other which is never true.  It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things whether the president is Republic or Democrat.  

I do not believe Hillary can win.  She has earned (or been given) an image the most of America can't stand and she will bring people out of the woodwork just to vote against her.  In reality, she is probably a very intelligent woman with some good ideas even if I might not like or even detest some of them.

Barak Obama - in the end, I believe he has less of a chance than Hillary.  I do not believe that name can win in the end.  Too many direct and indirect ties to Muslim upgringing and I do not believe that the south and midwest will accept that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a good, moderate democrat win the nomination to give us a real choice.

John McCain - has a chance, but has shown a temper in the past that too many might compare to Bush.

I'm not that sure who else is running on the Republican side.  

Who I'd really like to see win - someone who originated from a small town who had to shovel a little s**t somewhere in his upbringing or worked a "crap" job at some point.  Makes you appreciate things and gives you a reference point.  That is probably Bush's biggest problem.  So many people (certainly including my generation), never have had to do anything they didn't want to or ever had to undertake something with an uncertain outcome.  I think that is where the strength of the WWII generation really was.

In the end, I really don't believe it will matter.  A Democrat won't handle much things differently in Iraq than Bush is.  There are only so many choices and pulling out isn't one of them.  The economy is cranking and nobody is going to mess with that.

DL

Could we clone and resurrect Harry Truman? (cow)

Jill

Sam Brownback is probably as close as you will come in this group, his brother is a vet about an hour west of here smal town values and upbringing.  I don't think Sam has the charisma to win and in todays world of hi-tech, public image is everything, Harry Truman would not have stood a chance in todays world either.

cowz

Ok, guys.....I was trying really hard to behave myself lately......but Austin brought up Hillary and then Chambero made a very intellent analysis of our current candidates.  I could really go off on one of my smart alec tangents.

But I wont.  I will spare you all the misery and simply say this:  Any woman who cannot make her own husband behave is not smart enough to run this country. ::)  End of sermon.  Everyone have a great night!

Joe Boy

I am probably as conservative as anyone on moral issues and financial issues.  I am tenderhearted toward all those who are less fortunate than I am and those who have problems.  Therefore:

I hope Edwards will be the democrat nominee.

I think McCain would be my choice of the Republicans...  Romney has leaned in his voting record toward the democrats programs.  McCain has called fundamentalists ""agents of intolerance."  He voted against President Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.  championed campaign finance reform, and recognizes there is something to global warming (except last winter...ha.)  Limbaugh doesn't like him.

I wonder if all the religious folks will vote for Giuliani who has been married 3 times and wife #3 was the one he was having an affair with while being married to wife #2.  He is estranged from his children by wife #2 and did not even attend his son's graduation.  They hated Clinton for his affair.  Newt was cheating on wife #2 while he was trying to impeach Mr. Clinton, he recently announced.  These, about whom I wonder, are the people who told me I would go to hell if I voted for Gore over Mr. Bush. 

Personally, I wished we could get a good farmer who is a self made person, not one who inherited his purse....or as Ann Richard's said, "born with a silver spoon in his mouth."  Mr. Edwards is a self made man therefore I like him.

One of the best things is to keep Congress and the Senate in one party and the President from the other and maybe they will not make things worse...ha...

As far as Fred is concerned.... I voted for an actor once and I asked God if he would forgive me I would not do it again.....ha...

OH Breeder

Joe Boy said:
I am probably as conservative as anyone on moral issues and financial issues.  I am tenderhearted toward all those who are less fortunate than I am and those who have problems.  Therefore:

I hope Edwards will be the democrat nominee.

I think McCain would be my choice of the Republicans...  Romney has leaned in his voting record toward the democrats programs.  McCain has called fundamentalists ""agents of intolerance."  He voted against President Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.  championed campaign finance reform, and recognizes there is something to global warming (except last winter...ha.)  Limbaugh doesn't like him.

I wonder if all the religious folks will vote for Giuliani who has been married 3 times and wife #3 was the one he was having an affair with while being married to wife #2.  He is estranged from his children by wife #2 and did not even attend his son's graduation.  They hated Clinton for his affair.  Newt was cheating on wife #2 while he was trying to impeach Mr. Clinton, he recently announced.  These, about whom I wonder, are the people who told me I would go to hell if I voted for Gore over Mr. Bush. 

Personally, I wished we could get a good farmer who is a self made person, not one who inherited his purse....or as Ann Richard's said, "born with a silver spoon in his mouth."  Mr. Edwards is a self made man therefore I like him.

One of the best things is to keep Congress and the Senate in one party and the President from the other and maybe they will not make things worse...ha...

As far as Fred is concerned.... I voted for an actor once and I asked God if he would forgive me I would not do it again.....ha...

John Edwards gets my vote at the moment. We will see. ???

Former Senator Fred Thompson All the Way in in 2008, rumors has it that Harry Reid From Nevada still wets his pants when he hears the words Fred Thompson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGpYHIlWzb0

steers4u

Quote ..."why do non-property owners get to vote whether to raise property taxes?"

Check the Constitution last time I looked this was a Democracy. That is why you are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is!! Same goes for me!  ;D

knabe

I hear you steers4u.  in my county, property taxes are so high that farming is dying fast, and all those who are selling are moving to texas oklahoma, with their property pegged at the new higher rate, guaranteeing the property will never farm again.  in 1990, property tax revenue for 45,000 residnts was 15 million, in 2000, 35 million, in 2005, 55 million for 60,000 residents.  We only get 11% back from the state, the 4th lowest rate in the state, yet we had the fastest growing city in the entire state, with no support from the state.  basically rural counties are subsidizing the state for other counties while rural infrastructure crumbles.  My comments about non-property owners getting a vote to raise taxes, is that there is little opportunity to raise taxes on the 50% of the population who pay no property tax for a more distributed tax base.  That part is not democratic.  Most would argue they do through rent, myself included.  the dilemna of course, is what's fair.  i don't know.  i do know that a request for 46% increase in funding for schools, of which the majority of school funding comes from property tax, with less than 10% from the lottery (don't get me started on their salaries, which is a tax on the poor) will come from a property tax increase.  I paid $7000 last year in property tax, not to mention $9000 more to the state and a lot more to the feds.  so when 50% of the population doesnt' understand that a property owner will simply pass on the cost of property tax increase to renters, and lobby the state to subsidize housing to offset that cost by another tax hidden some where else and added to the pool to come up with more ways for income redistribution, i don't feel this is democracy, i feel it is an almost inverted autocracy with the percentage of poor getting higher and higher all the time by subsidizing being poor.  I guess a democracy is the right for me to be wrong, like you said. :-*  we, California, are quickly turning into parasites, producing nothing, consuming everything, imposing a doctrine of consumption on the rest of the nation, almost outlawing production.  coming to a town near you.

steers4u

Knabe

That is the great thing about Democracy we can both be wrong ( At least I am most of the time)! Property taxes are a horse of another color. We live where if you put 2 counties together we might have 6000 people and thus property taxes pay for everything, it is completly out of contro,l but here is the kicker. Do we want roads....Yes.... Do we want fire and rescue.... Yes....Do we want law enforcement.... Yes ... So we pay or we move it is quite simple. Ground valued at 500 per acre has $10 or more property taxes that is 2% or higher and if you move to Omaha a home valued at $160,000 will have $3600 to $3800 property taxes each and every year...except they will rise each year also! I guess there is no easy answer. We may also be getting what we pay for here since our State Legislators make $12,000 per year so they are usually either very wealthy, very old, or not too bright!! Now if I could just sell out for 10 to 20 thousand per acre I could run for political office!!! That would scare the hell out of a lot of people!  ::)

deep

I agree and disagree with couple posts above.
I am afraid there will be alot of people who will vote for Hillary.  I don't know how Obama will affect the black vote.  Clintons have always been strong in this area.  She will likely get alot of women votes too, probably women who don't even usually bother to vote will vote that day.  You couldn't give me a thousand dollar bill to vote for her.

I am a Republican.  Rudy is too liberal  for me.  I have never been married, am a woman, and not a homosexual woman.  I believe his past marriage history should be a liability to him.  Don't know if I'll get banned from here or not, but I'll mix a little religion in with the politics today.  "The Big Guy" intended for marriage to be between one woman and one man, til death.  He did not intend all the, as I call it, "split and swap."  If a man cannot manage his family, how on earth can he manage a country?   

None of us are perfect, far from it.  I try to make my decisions as best I can, using biblical teaching as my guide.  Often step outside the lines, but I try.

(dog)

knabe

hi steers4u

how about sitting on this overpriced farm land.  this is on the north end of town.  i'm on the south

http://www.sanbenitorealty.net/Properties/airportranch.htm

i calculate 39,609.99 per acre.  talk about a tax increase.  basically triple the value if homes are on it on 5 acre sites because they will all be 3500-5000 sqft.  these are conservative estimates.  value on my acreage is about 75,000/acre.  the "airport ranch" land has NOTHING on it.  it is in an area that requires raised septic tanks becuase the water table is so high.  they will try and hook into the city sewer, but we have a moratorium becuase our sewer can't handle the current capacity and overflows down by city hall.  we are building a new one.  hookup costs for sewer, $15k, hookups for water $15K.  the owners tried to impose a senior citizen center on this land, couldn't do it, so the punted.  this land makes awesome hay.  current taxes are probably in the neighborhood of less than 100,000 year, more likely less than 25K.  and government doens't have enough money.  in CA, we seek to duplicate every federal agency on steroids, yet we make roads that would embarrass oklahoma.  i don't know too many executives who want to live next to an airport, very windy, and not very isolated.  they live in portola valley, atherton, palo alto etc.

and just to show the little guy can fanangle, we got our hookups at $1500 before the city water provider raised rates, with about a week to spare!  granted, we paid 900 extra dollars a year on property taxes for 20 years with no water, so we did pay.

notice our little airport with crisscrossing runways.  it houses an active club of WWII planes including a noncombat p51 a sea fury and a few others as well as a glider facility, fire planes etc.  

knabe

this link is a repost of a pending reset of property tax guaranteeing this land won't farm.  sad, it was acquired by the homestead act.  CA is famous for prop 13 to limit property tax increases taxing grandma's out of their house.  currently, housing and commercial real estate is reassessed at 1.2 % of assessed value.  year over year increases are limited to no more than about 1% each year.  commercial real estate was added at the last minute in a back door deal with the public unaware,since the original intent of the law was to keep grandma in her house, not keep commercial real estate in their house.  of course we would all be paying for that in prices if taxes on commercial real estate went up as well.  some counties allow you to transfer your tax base once in a lifetime to a new residence, santa clara county being one.  my brother purchased his home from our mother, and you are allowed to keep the tax base for those transfers as well.  my across the street best friend growing up has a house in san francisco assessed from the 50's.  current tax base is somewhere over 15,000/year.  a house across from where i work has a tax bill higher than my mortgage on a lot that is <4000sqft.  i think we are getting more services than roads, schools etc.  i think we are getting the shaft.

http://www.byronculverandassociates.com/about.php

red

My conservative status will probably be pulled. I've met some really nice people, who I guess for a better term would be called gay. Have to say some are my closest friends.
It takes all kinds to make up the world. There are good & bad in every group. I guess I'm on the fence on that one.
You're one of a kind though Deep!

Red

knabe

same here.  cousin, cross the street friends, little league teammates.  since i'm the only one around that tucks his shirt in, wears wranglers or pleatless dockers and a belt, they tease me.  when i used to go to SF, boy was that annoying.  made me appreciate how women feel.  the more equal status and discrimination is the what we as a society can not figure out.  some say everyone is equal.  no one is equal, we are differently abled to excel.  as a useless male, i do take a little offense of not being an equal pairing to the nurturing half and feel somewhat endangered. ;D i'm a good daddy.

deep

I know gay folks too and I don't dislike them at all.  I don't agree with the lifestyle because  it is Biblically wrong.  There are lots of things that are Biblically wrong though.  I would not intentionally hurt someone's feelings by my beliefs, but I would not stifle them either, only try to express them in a kind way.

You're one of a kind too Red.  Heck, you might be in the White House one day !!     ;D

(dog)

DL

Here is a visual for ya! Deep in her Halloween HC costume carrying a Snoodle! ( for you non K9 guys that is a cross between a Poodle and a Schnauzer - the ultimate in out breeding!) Last time I went to a Halloween party in costume I was a Jackson Pollock painting - nobody really got it -

I am likely way to the left of most everybody here - always have been, likely always will be - doubt it is the Western NY upbringing - but we could check with NYer!

I usually don't talk about my politics/religion etc I think I am in the minority in regards to both here - but I sure don't care - you guys are the best - fun, smart, nice, cattle people, silly, a tad wierd on occasion, a little pot stirring, a modicum of humor, a fling of fancy - all the good things in life!

Here's to us,  (cow) (cow)

deep

Right On DL !!!  ;D ;D 

(dog)

P.S.  Groomed one of those Snoodles today !!!

red

DL- you're a liberal? I never would have guessed! ;)

This is one of the things I love about this group- we don't all agree but so far no nastiness or name calling. We've all seen that we come from different walks of life and have different experiences that have influenced our lives. But we all have one thing in common- WE LOVE TALKING ABOUT CATTLE! (welcome)
Keep up the good work guys!

Red (cow)