Poll; Looking for Suggestions, Flushing Maine Donor: Whitney

Help Support Steer Planet:

Considering All info: Which Maine Bull would you flush to?

• Open Bar- Grandson-PHA Free Ice Pick Bloodlines

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Jazz

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Gigolo Joe

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Lifeline

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Majors Money Man

• Other: Please Suggest!

• Total voters

RSC

Would love to have everyones opinion of what to flush our Maine Donor Whitney To.  We have had good luck in the past by just mating her to the bull that fit the right phenotype and soundness we were looking for.  What I always looked for was a Bull that had good flex on the hind wheels, soggy, PHA & TH FREE  and would downsize.  Whitney is pretty good at adding the look and hair & she will clean up a front and add some extension.

In the past we were mainly looking for Phenotype first and an pedigree and production seccond as we were marketing most of the offspring.  I do not analyze pedigrees like many on here so I thought i would ask for some help.  We don't want to sacrifice the look.  We are wanting to keep females so pedigree and mothering ability is important this time.  Another Note:  Whitney has worked great in the past on 1. Ice Pick genetics 2. Linebreeding 3. Jazz 4. Strictly Business.

Check out the Link to her pedigree to give me an idea of what you think would work well. LINK: http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=251339

Feel Free to give any suggestions.

Thanks,

RSC :-*

Attachments

• whitney_jpg.jpg
    whitney_jpg.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 644

RSC

red said:
I'd talk to Nelson's but I'd give Joe a try. Love that cow!

Red
Cathy,  We are considering him pretty strongly.  A few things about Joe I would like to know and Common Sense can sure help with his comments.

1.  Will Joe downsize and add some body?

2.  Will he throw enough power? We still have to mkt the Bulls.  The reason I ask this: She has been flushed to The Man in the past.  They had the look but seemed to come real slow and lacked power.  With Man back in his pedigree I wondered how much power the cow side is adding.  To be honest after looking at his pedigree, I do not know too  much about any of the bloodlines in his Dam's pedigree.  I did see him in Denver last year and thought he looked good for a 2 year old.  I also liked other things in his display area ::)

Thanks,

RSC

knabe

this may sound crazy, but here's my list, and they are all clean.

bouncer, pedigree wise
sooner (probably unavailable)
limited edition
if enough hair hit man or dcc the man or fear this
daine's icon or similarly bred scooby doo (availabiity?) if she reatains that depth, he' kinda trim, but is a progenator of tenderness genes without going to total package 1p, though he was shown as an older bull, traveled a lot in the trailer and was sound.  someone mentioned either a son of him or a half sib they said was extremely sound pasterned.

i wish i had the decision.  pretty simple for me.

common sense

RSC said:
red said:
I'd talk to Nelson's but I'd give Joe a try. Love that cow!

Red
Cathy,  We are considering him pretty strongly.  A few things about Joe I would like to know and Common Sense can sure help with his comments.

1.  Will Joe downsize and add some body?

2.  Will he throw enough power? We still have to mkt the Bulls.  The reason I ask this: She has been flushed to The Man in the past.  They had the look but seemed to come real slow and lacked power.  With Man back in his pedigree I wondered how much power the cow side is adding.  To be honest after looking at his pedigree, I do not know too  much about any of the bloodlines in his Dam's pedigree.  I did see him in Denver last year and thought he looked good for a 2 year old.  I also liked other things in his display area ::)

Thanks,

RSC

O.K., you asked!   (lol)
1. Yes, Joe is moderate and having used him on some FRAMEY females he is throwing moderate, extremely deep ribbed calves, both bulls and heifers. 
2. Joe is 7 out of 8 stars for feed efficiency. His calves hit the ground small and take off running...literally most times.  The calves have that nice soft look, smooth shoulders and clean fronts that I like so much about The Man.  Joe's calves have had more bone and more "kick" to them for growth over many of the man calves we have raised.  We will  have two to three females in Denver out of Joe. One is out of a straight angus female, one out of a Maine x shorthorn and the other out of a commercial angus. They are out of a diverse set of females but they are all deep ribbed, soft footed, feminine and stout.  The thing I am really liking too is that they are all hairy as heck even the one out of my Mexican Hairless cow. 

Gigolo Joe's Dam:  Sired by Black Stone by Phillip which was an O'hara 60T son.  There are no better epd's in the industry than that sire!! O'hara 60T was the number one calving ease bull in the industry.  On the bottom she is out of Phillip Miranda which was a daughter of four time National Champion Phillips EZ2B Shameless.  Miranda actually is the mother of NBJ Numbers, a bull that Fred DeRouchey purchased from us in Denver and is now owned by Bushy Park and the mother of a donor female purchased by Tim Burke and Dale Phelps. This is just a fabulous cow family! Here are Joe's Dam's numbers: 2.7-BW, 68.4-WW, 29.1-MM, 63.3 M&G, 103.0 YW.

Hope this helps!!  Let me know if you have anymore questions! 

DL

FR Magic - the look, the power and great females.

Telos

RSC, you might want to take a look at K&A Nautica for Whitney. He is a Strictly Business son out of K&A Sally. He is intensely line bred to the JB TC JB785 cow, which was one of the the all time great cows. He is also polled and homozygous black - solid.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I  just looked at the votes an somebody  must not know the histry of this cow ,or they own part of one of these bulls, Iguassu i think I'm going to vote for Jazz, Would rather use a sure thing , an if I was going to experiment I might try Statesman, -----I Better go cast my vote.

afhm

What about Hairy Bear?  Another thought for higher percentage cattle, Chill Factor.  I think she would hit a home run with OCC Anchor/Emblazon and a few other OCC bulls if being Maine isn't a requirement.

RSC

afhm said:
What about Hairy Bear?  Another thought for higher percentage cattle, Chill Factor.  I think she would hit a home run with OCC Anchor/Emblazon and a few other OCC bulls if being Maine isn't a requirement.
I own this donor with 3 other partners, I have always wanted to flush her to a Anchor/Emblazon type bull.  I bred her strictly business daughter, Jessica to calve this February to Duffs New Edition.  I can't wait to see that calf.  I may flush Jessica to New Edition if the calf turns out or possibly Jag my New Look Son that is on my website.

Jessica is pictured below.

RSC

Attachments

• Jessica_Dec_Final_ezr.jpg
    Jessica_Dec_Final_ezr.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 554