POLL: Who would you use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Who do you think would best work on her?

• Hannibal

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Dirty Harry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pale Face

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Dr. Who

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Goldmine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apocolypse

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Perfect Timing

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

kane1598

Hey guys, I am trying to finalize breeding this year. I have previousoly posted pictures of this heatwave cow and had some good feed back, so thanks for anyone who posted.  My brother (and business partner) cannot agree on her to breed her to.  I listed the 7 options that we really like, so feel free to vote or comment.  She is a three year old heatwave x witchdoctor (THC) and is 4.5 frame score and is as thick as anything.  We think she has alot of potential as a steer producer, and would like to keep her bred with a show steer as the goal.  Please vote! ;D

Attachments

• mara.jpg
    mara.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 659

red

what about Hard Core? I think you need an good BW bull because of her size. what has been her previous calf's BW?

Red

kane1598

We left her open, had some offers to flush but they fell through.

Telos

Ok, hear we go again. I would not throw another shot of Power Plant in the equation. You are just asking for some problems by using Dr.Who with something that already contains more Witch Doctor genetics. It's just too much Power Plant too close up in the pedigree. She's a super looking female but needs to be loosened up in her structure. That means no more clubby genetics. Just watch out and don't use something that will make her straighter then she already is.

When ZNT cattle bred their ZNT Triple X bull, the thought was that he would work especially well on Heat Wave females and cattle of similar phenotype. Even though I'm biased, I feel he is the type of bull you need to be using especially for a first calf heifer. There is a shot of Power Plant in his pedigree, but it's six generations back. Eldon or Scott Starr of Neb. would be the people who could give you more info on his calves along with Zane Mai of ZNT cattle. I do know Triple X in his first calf crop of  around 80+ calves was very impressive with consistently sirering low to moderate birth weights. Red, also has a single calf by him. Ask her want she thinks.

showsteerdlux

The cow has had 1 calf already if Im not mistaken. Id like to see Triple X on her too though. Would probably click well.

linnettejane

if she were mine id use: occ legend (angus) or jakes proud jazz(sh) or ali(ma)....reason #1 - she already has enough cross in her, with the "names"(hw and wd) and different breeds, using another 3-was cross would just throw too many variables into the equation and who knows what you'd get..... i would only consider a pb counterpart to one of her crosses  reason #2 - she hasnt had a calf yet and out of hw, calving ease would be a must, all 3 sires i listed are proven ce  reason #3 - calves out of these 3 bulls are "sell-able"

but she's not mine...

ZNT

Telos said:
Ok, hear we go again. I would not throw another shot of Power Plant in the equation. You are just asking for some problems by using Dr.Who with something that already contains more Witch Doctor genetics. It's just too much Power Plant too close up in the pedigree. She's a super looking female but needs to be loosened up in her structure. That means no more clubby genetics. Just watch out and don't use something that will make her straighter then she already is.

When ZNT cattle bred their ZNT Triple X bull, the thought was that he would work especially well on Heat Wave females and cattle of similar phenotype. Even though I'm biased, I feel he is the type of bull you need to be using especially for a first calf heifer. There is a shot of Power Plant in his pedigree, but it's six generations back. Eldon or Scott Starr of Neb. would be the people who could give you more info on his calves along with Zane Mai of ZNT cattle. I do know Triple X in his first calf crop of  around 80+ calves was very impressive with consistently sirering low to moderate birth weights. Red, also has a single calf by him. Ask her want she thinks.

Thanks Telos, you beat me to the punch.  This is exactly the type of cow we thought Triple X would work on.  Since she is only a frame score 4.5, I think Triple X will provide just a little more growth to the calf than say Hardcore.  Semen is available through SEK, so it really is not too difficult to get.

Good luck with your breeding this year! 

Telos

Another note... I think it would be wise to always consider a calving ease bull on those Heat Wave females. Your Heat Have cow is half of the equation and calving reports suggest they can throw out a big one. Even though some of those Angus bulls would work, line breeding Chi-Ma-An genetics would probably help produce a more consistent breeding animal or yield a nice show steer.

kane1598

Thanks for the thoughts, and we will be catious with the birthweight factor.  I think she is too small for legend and JPJ, thats why we have hannibal on the list.  I understand the reasoning behind the double powerplant, but we have had alot of people tell us Dr. Who, we have seen alot of really nice heifers out of him and heatseeker/heatwave females.  Olson Shothorns, do think Perfect Timing could work?  We saw an amazing heifer out of X-ray and a heatwave cow.  Any thoughts?

shortyjock89

Yeah, I think that Perfect Timing would work well on her.  I showed my heifer today, and got pics taken.  When I get them, I'll post them so you can see what a yearling calf out of him looks like.  He will throw tons of hair, thickness, adequate bone, and a pretty package.  The thing is, I don't think he is one to change front ends much.  He won't hurt them, but he won't make them a bunch better. I would definitely suggest him though. I couldn't be happier with my calf.  P.S.....Full sib to my heifer coming any time now.  If it's a bull calf, it's definitely for sale!! PM me for details.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Yeah, I think that Perfect Timing would work well on her.  I showed my heifer today, and got pics taken.  When I get them, I'll post them so you can see what a yearling calf out of him looks like.  He will throw tons of hair, thickness, adequate bone, and a pretty package.  The thing is, I don't think he is one to change front ends much.  He won't hurt them, but he won't make them a bunch better. I would definitely suggest him though. I couldn't be happier with my calf.  P.S.....Full sib to my heifer coming any time now.  If it's a bull calf, it's definitely for sale!! PM me for details.

[/quote

I'm a novice, but if it was me, I'd be looking hard at Triple X.  I think that Perfect Timing would be a good option too, it would just give you a little different type.  Dr. Who is another bull that I would think about, but I am not so sure that Triple X isn't the way to go.

jbh

The one positive thing about using Pale Face on her is that he has never sired a monkey mouth......and with Dr. Who or Hannibal and many others you risk that chance.  Also Pale Face always mixes well with Heat Seeker/Heat Wave females.  Just something to think about.

justme

I think Dr. Who with that Heatwave would produce a BIG calf.  I went Pale Face.  He goes so well on HeatSeeker females.  We personally didn't have a problem with him calving.  I personally wouldn't go with any of those....I think Heatwave with them would not be a good bw combination.  Unless you had her pelvic measured, I'd be leary.

I know I've said it before, but why not look at Major's Money Man?  They are the best calves I've ever had.  Seen him this weekend and looks even better than last year when I seen him.  Seen TONS of his calves this weeekend out of all sorts of cows.  Really liked them too.

OH Breeder

I was skeptical but used him on a Mossy Oak x Chi second calf cow. Great steer calf born. Plenty of bone and plenty of depth. Going to make a nice calf. He wasn't huge either.
WOrth a try on her. You most likely will get a baldy as well. I love them. I have always wanted one and this year we have two so far.

kane1598

What are the typical birthwieghts out of pale face.  I have heard 75-80. Is this accurate?

OH Breeder

kane1598 said:
What are the typical birthwieghts out of pale face.  I have heard 75-80. Is this accurate?
My experience is limited calving. There is a farm that Red knows they have about 200 head (Royers). They have always had luck with Pale Face. Some of there top sellers in the past have been Heat Seeker, Pale Face, Warhorse. I have not heard of too many calving issues with him from them. The others not so much.