Polled Heifer Not So Polled

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

well thats good to know about the state fair thanks. I feel the same way if I had just bought her for a breeding heifer I would not really care but as a show heifer im a little bumbed :-\

txshowmom

Dozer45 said:
well thats good to know about the state fair thanks. I feel the same way if I had just bought her for a breeding heifer I would not really care but as a show heifer im a little bumbed :-\

Feed Guy is right.  Call the AHA and have them send the field rep to check her BEFORE you dehorn her.  If you dehorn her first, she can only show as horned.  If the field rep checks her & determines that they're scurs not horns, it will be documented & then she can be dehorned & still shown as polled. 

DiamondS

Her grandmother and her grandfather are both horned so there is a good chance the horned gene came through.  Do you have any pictures of your heifer's "horns"?  You should be able to tell by looking at this point whether she is officially horned or scurred.  Bulls are a lot more likely to have scurs than females in my experiences.  Why I don't know....  Her grandsire Monument L1 9841 was an awfully good  bull and I owned a son of him.  Excellent carcass traits, so I wouldn't give up on your heifer because she's horned.  The association is one association and some shows do show horned and polled cattle together.  Good luck with your heifer!

Dozer45

DiamondS said:
Her grandmother and her grandfather are both horned so there is a good chance the horned gene came through.  Do you have any pictures of your heifer's "horns"?  You should be able to tell by looking at this point whether she is officially horned or scurred.  Bulls are a lot more likely to have scurs than females in my experiences.  Why I don't know....  Her grandsire Monument L1 9841 was an awfully good  bull and I owned a son of him.  Excellent carcass traits, so I wouldn't give up on your heifer because she's horned.  The association is one association and some shows do show horned and polled cattle together.  Good luck with your heifer!

Thank you so much Diamond S! Glad to hear that someone had good luck with her bloodlines and she is for sure a keeper, ill see if I can get a pic of her on here today.  :)

Dozer45

Finaly got intouch with the AHA and we are going to have her papers changes to state she is a horned cow. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions
<beer>