Polymelia in Angus cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

HerefordGuy

HerefordGuy said:
As I told aj on another thread, I don't have time to go into this today. But, look for a new blog post on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, the blog post about genetic abnormalities won't be coming today. To be honest, I am trying to see if I can get this particular article published in print media. (I need to do all I can to keep my job!)

But, I do have a new post today! http://steakgenomics.blogspot.com/2013/08/cherry-picking-and-cattle.html

aj

I think it is interesting that the extra limb deal may be genetic. I have seen stuffed calves in museums, with extra legs, and I always asummed it was a freak deal. I guess it may or may not be genetic.

knabe

HerefordGuy said:

it's probably best to clip them.  that way there is less damage to the tree where the stems attach and also the cherry lasts longer in the fridge, so it's probably neither, but somewhere in between.

in college, we did something similar with all nut crops, we had a clipper.  we didn't just pull them off.

aj

HERFORD GUY.....finally got around to listening to your deal. Interesting. Good way to describe the defects.....as broken genes.

DL

Freddy said:
From one of my sources say's this also cause quite a few abortions, with cattle carrying this ,is this so ....

Freddy - yup - read the first post for details - but high percentage of homozygous embryos are aborted probably in the first or 2nd trimester

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
In the last 20 years how many abortions in the nations cow herds have been caused by Angus bulls that had this in that time period... You wouldn't even thought of something like this causing you these problems .....Their  "BUSINESS BREED " slogan don't fit this secnario to good ....

aj

I have a neighbor who has angus commercial cows. A couple years ago he had 23% of his cows come up open. I down know what bloodlines he uses but now I wonder back. Angus........we will be open to you breed.

angusfarming

I'm not saying that anyone in the breed wanted any of these defects but I will say that at least this breed is trying to get rid of the problem... not just letting it carry on like th and pha in other breeds. This is done by not allowing any new carrier bulls to be registered.

Personally i would like them to do the same on the females..

knabe

no one wants the defects in any breed.

as testing emerged, it broke down barn talk.

compared to the hereford breed and dwarfs, everyone sucks.  they warned about dwarfs in angus in the book about dwarfs in herefords, so i'd say angus has set the bar really low with respect to trying to get rid of a problem.

maine's sort of helped get the ball rolling with dna tests as did shorthorns with th with prodding and alignment of stars with barrel racer and the beever.

aj

I think its interesting how an Angus defect could be transfered to other breeds through the Balancer program,Mainetainer program, Limi flex program and etc. I wonder......did any of these programs pull in a line of these defective genes? Another question.....in balance.....do Red Angus have a lessor degree of defects than the Black Angus? Becktons herd was pretty much linebreeding wasn't it?

Mill Iron A

Since angus is a large breed with a lot of money I think they are being targeted to get these tests done sooner because of all of the money in the breed.  Being a red angus guy I would jump at the chance to say that we have less defects but the truth is I don't know.  Now becktons and most of the breed are fairly line bred so any defects should have come out already but with the influx of black genes and canadian genes I'm not so sure the entire breed is safe.  But yes the advantage of linebreeding is finding these genes and eliminating them.