Post freezing morphology

Help Support Steer Planet:

CRS

We’re collecting a young bull right now, just over 10 months, he’s freezing high quality semen, but not passing post thaw morphology. Any recommendations on getting his post thaw count up? 

Steve123

It could be that you are low on heat shock protein.  This is a cut from the first paragraph in the section: Molecular Markers Of Sperm Freezability

Holt et al. (54) claim that lower concentrations of heat shock protein A8 (HSPA8) in freezing media cause reduced post-thaw sperm viability, whereas higher concentrations improve plasma membrane integrity.

Here is the full paper you can share with your technician to maybe trouble shoot a cause.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6736622/

CRS

Thanks, I’ll give it a read after bit when I’m doing some social distancing

CAB

It would be more common to not freeze than to freeze at this age. I'd wait 2 to 3 months and try him again.

hntwhitetail

CRS said:
We’re collecting a young bull right now, just over 10 months, he’s freezing high quality semen, but not passing post thaw morphology. Any recommendations on getting his post thaw count up?

Was wondering what Mil your stud is collecting him at.

CRS

He's producing almost 5 milliliters and they are putting it in 5 million cells per unit.

hntwhitetail

CRS said:
He's producing almost 5 milliliters and they are putting it in 5 million cells per unit.

Just wondering if you requested that mix.  I thought most put in 10mil per unit.  I'm getting ready to have some collected and will be @ 45mill cells per unit.  I think 1 of the large angus pack theirs @ 40 per unit.  $40 for 40mil a straw

CRS

Very possible I am wrong.  He is at Hawkeye, so whatever their standard is.  His is making 40-50 units per collection now

CRS

We got our first post thaw pass.  We decided to give him a week's rest and he made 70 units at 40 million per unit.  He will stay on the once a week schedule for a while.  In talking with some other's they suggested giving him some more time to store the semen to increase its quality.  Pretty pleased as he just hit 11 months on the 1st. 

CRS

Sublime.  He's a 3/8 Maine 12.77% Chi; Dual Threat son.  amaa #508910 and chi#402165.  He's line bred Who da Man with calving ease and some performance plus a shot of Whiskey.  We believe he's the best Dual Threat son so far, but time will tell.  Once we get him back from stud we'll get him ready and picture him.  The last pics I have of him are at about 7 months from a cell phone.

Attachments

• Sublime2.jpg
    Sublime2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Sublime1.jpg
    Sublime1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 318

CRS

Gargan, if you ever get to Western Ohio, I will try to meet up with you and give you a few units to use.

Gargan

CRS said:
Gargan, if you ever get to Western Ohio, I will try to meet up with you and give you a few units to use.
Appreciate that. Columbus is about as far as I get but I'll hit you up if i make it further west. Thanks