potash

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

here's an interesting graphic

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=POT&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

note this is a log scale.  wish i had purchased some of this about a year and a half ago.  you invested in stuff like this SRU?  seems to track inflation rather well.

redwingfarm

You still have time to make some $, potash will be $750-800 min. retail by fall, the price will continue to escalate as long as the dollar keeps going down and the chinese continue to buy on the world market with all of our wal-mart purchasing dollars.  Watch phosphate pricing to hit $1500 retail by Aug.
Sorry to all for the wonderful news, I run a fert plant in Ohio and unless farmers are willing to cut back severly prices will continue to go up

Dusty

i actually thought about buying some about 6 months ago, but it was awful high then, and I don't like to buy things when they're at an all time high......  Well hindsight is always 20/20 i guess.  I actually almost bought John Deere stock a couple years ago, but i was waiting for it to dip back below $100 and then i was going to buy.  Well now it's at $88, after a split about a year ago.... Another one of my great moves.

knabe

that's a good observation about machinery stock.  which one's are poised to offer increases in efficiency, as our world does it's darndest to keep adding to the population?

what are the areas that have been untapped for efficiency and who is addressing them besides the always creative farmers.

Dusty

knabe said:
that's a good observation about machinery stock.  which one's are poised to offer increases in efficiency, as our world does it's darndest to keep adding to the population?

what are the areas that have been untapped for efficiency and who is addressing them besides the always creative farmers.

I think the next industry that will get more competitive than it already is is water. Someday ownership of water rights will be like ownership of oil rights now.  Fresh water will get scarce and if you own the water you will be able to name your price.  Water has a very inelastic demand curve.  Livestock, people, crops, nothing can survive without water.

knabe

my stepson just got a job drilling water wells, maintaining them etc for an independent contractor.  he hopes to be a partner shortly.  he says the same thing.

an interesting job he's working on for a guy who builds skyscrapers with glass walls is a multi tank system fed by a spring where the overflow fills a pond.  he has the best irrigated pastures around.  not sure of the regulatory requirements on this are, but it's one of the few places in my area i know that has a high quality source of spring water that is low in boron, which is high in our area.  basically, you can't irrigate wtih some of our water without amendments, one of which i can't remember, organic farmers can conveniently amend soil with to aid water penetration.  it's gypsum  probably.  anyway, this guy specializes in wells in remote locations, and custom irrigation setups. 

i'll see if he can get some pics.

garybob

Dusty said:
knabe said:

I think the next industry that will get more competitive than it already is is water. Someday ownership of water rights will be like ownership of oil rights now.  Fresh water will get scarce and if you own the water you will be able to name your price.  Water has a very inelastic demand curve.  Livestock, people, crops, nothing can survive without water.
I think Will, SWMO, Doc, JoeBnTN, Jasmar, and myself (probably Fluffer, SJCC, and Red, too) have got enough to export.

GB

JbarL

this may be another topic...but while home last month....talked to some folks about withing my place for a spring....had heard of it before, but never needed a "douser" before.......questions around to friends/neighbors led me to a gentleman i have known for years....(.i am in very much of need of a water source  for the middle/back part of my property...)...... and as i talked with him, i realized this practice is...lets just say a bit  "mid evil".....but as my need for water...( and now my curiousity, at equally high levels, )...i started to ask some questions.......seems some folks can do it, some cant....he uses peach limbs...(.ive heard of using  willow, even coat hangers, from my dad and granddad).....i gues i just wasnt expecting the " wizardrey" that was actually involved....anyone had any dealing's with itt?...jbarl

aj

I have heard of it working seriously. Not sure about the one movie where the guy used a dipstick and witched for oil and found it though. 10-34-0 is short here. We use it as starter fertilizer. At the coop here...if you didn't buy it last year , you can't get ANY. They are trying to spread it out by adding black label to it. They don't know if there will be enough to get their customers through unless an unexpected railcar comes in. It is pretty expensive along along with n so most people are cutting back rates.

Dusty

JbarL said:
this may be another topic...but while home last month....talked to some folks about withing my place for a spring....had heard of it before, but never needed a "douser" before.......questions around to friends/neighbors led me to a gentleman i have known for years....(.i am in very much of need of a water source  for the middle/back part of my property...)...... and as i talked with him, i realized this practice is...lets just say a bit   "mid evil".....but as my need for water...( and now my curiousity, at equally high levels, )...i started to ask some questions.......seems some folks can do it, some cant....he uses peach limbs...(.ive heard of using  willow, even coat hangers, from my dad and granddad).....i gues i just wasnt expecting the " wizardrey" that was actually involved....anyone had any dealing's with itt?...jbarl
I remember when i was a little kid we had a well dug and the head well drilling guy broke a branch off of one of our trees and walked around for awhile until he found "the spot".  He hit water like 70 feet down, so i guess he knew what he was doing.  My little brother can "witch" for things like buried electrical lines, etc...  He just takes two chunks of bare copper ground wire and does it i guess.

bradycreek

My little brother can "witch" for things like buried electrical lines, etc...  He just takes two chunks of bare copper ground wire and does it i guess.
[/quote]

I've used this method to find septic lines, water lines, and electrical lines.  It works but I still never dig with out contacting the phone, electrical, water, compnay to come mark the lines.
dh

Jill

bradycreek said:
  My little brother can "witch" for things like buried electrical lines, etc...  He just takes two chunks of bare copper ground wire and does it i guess.

I've used this method to find septic lines, water lines, and electrical lines.  It works but I still never dig with out contacting the phone, electrical, water, compnay to come mark the lines.
dh
[/quote]
My husband uses it to find water and septic lines, he is also pretty accurate at preg checking that way.