Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

In reality.....I think there is (by nature of the beast) a certain amount of politics with in a breed. I think that a breed association is responsible for genetic defects. I think they want to discover genetic defects. However I think independent sources are probably more efficient at gathering information on genetic defects because they are a bit more zealous at it. They don't have a vested interest in that breed of cattle.

knabe

leader bull mated the follower cow for the alwayswin farm. they beat me at last years show, so im going to whisper a rumor they have a defect.

i cant stand those cattle cause when i tried them they didnt work (they didnt win the show in one generation) so they must suck so hopefully they have a defect.

turns out, most cattle have defects. big deal.

turns out, most humans do to. big deal.

aj

Knabe.....after reading your posts.......I always feel like a park DEER in the headlights. Rotating scope......the eagle has landed......the eagle has landed.

DL

aj said:
In reality.....I think there is (by nature of the beast) a certain amount of politics with in a breed. I think that a breed association is responsible for genetic defects. I think they want to discover genetic defects. However I think independent sources are probably more efficient at gathering information on genetic defects because they are a bit more zealous at it. They don't have a vested interest in that breed of cattle.

In reality I think you are more right than not - while things have changed some with some breed associations - early on reporting to the breed association was an onerous task and because of the frustration and excess time commitment involved in reporting abnormal calves - people dumped the calf in the dead pile and never reported it. If breed associations want to be in the initial loop they need (in addition to informing the membership) , rapid response and very clear protocols - don't tell someone to find a place to freeze a 110 lb calf in hot weather because you can't get it shipped for a week - that to me suggests you really don't want the information; don't answer the call 10 days later; don't tell the person with the abnormal calf that you are sooo busy to deal with their issue in a timely fashion.

Once samples are submitted to the University they become the property of the U and can be used in any research without notifying the owner of the sample - while  some people find that annoying, IMHO it is a perfectly rational and acceptable way to conduct research. So once a mutation is identified there are already hundreds of samples available to check the validity of the test. Once the validity is confirmed, then the test can be offered commercially - the only way this system doesn't work if you have something to hide - memories of the Red Angus bull alpha mannosidosis carrier come to mind.....

DL

Go the the ASA web page
under  News and updates...

Reporting Abnormal Calves.
click here

Click there and you will see this

NOTICE: Reporting Abnormal Calves - Digital Sublazation (DS)

-Reporting Abnormal Calves

click on Reporting abnormal calves and you will down load a pdf describing the issue we have been talking about and pictures

BTW I think they meant subluxation not sublazation

linnettejane

im not voicing an opinion either way, but was thinking....

so farmer/producer/cattleman has dead or defective calf...instant financial loss...and then should invest more money into a dead or defective calf by having a vet out to draw blood, take xrays, or ship parts or whole of calf...im wondering how many just pass...

just thinking out loud...

DL

linnettejane said:

so farmer/producer/cattleman has dead or defective calf...instant financial loss...and then should invest more money into a dead or defective calf by having a vet out to draw blood, take xrays, or ship parts or whole of calf...im wondering how many just pass...

yes, this is an issue, asking someone to store a dead calf in a cool environment or freeze  next to the strawberries (oh that will likely go over well :) is a certain way to not get the calf; not having an immediate response to someone willing to ship a dead calf is a certain way to not get the calf; not immediately offering to pay to have the calf shipped is a certain way to not get the calf. People have different levels of what they want to do, can afford to do and are willing to do...during the PHA gene hunt one breeder drove his dead PHA calf for more than 8 hours so that Dr B could have it - this turned out to be very important as it was the first time it was noted that the lymphatic system was not properly developed in these PHA calves. Other people had TH calves that they buried because the system was so onerous ...so

this is what I would do if the calf was dead
-sample from ear (chunk about 1 x 1 inch is plenty)
-sample from dam (if you can bleed her - yes do it; if not use pig ear notcher to get a sample)
-take pictures
-pedigree
-send all to Dr B

if calf is alive
-ear notch calf and dam (if you cannot draw blood)
-pictures
-pedigree
-send to Dr B

The more complicated it is the less likely people will participate; this will cost you (generic you) a little time and the cost of sending the samples - pretty cheap if it helps to identify a mutation you don't want to have in your herd :)

aj

Lets throw this out there for the shorthorn leaders of the industry who have not a clue how the beef industry of the USA works. For someone who propagates a line of shorthorn cattle(with artificial nutrition and steroids). Who has  baby calves on a full feed rumen destroying feed regiment.......who has no common sense about the virtue of fertility levels of the the show heifers they destroy on a annual basis......are going to be concerned about a 15$ test? Its all about a coverup. It's all about about the newcomer who with their dominence of the breed has killed 4,000 registrations from last year. I stand corrected.

DL

aj said:
Lets throw this out there for the shorthorn leaders of the industry who have not a clue how the beef industry of the USA works. For someone who propagates a line of shorthorn cattle(with artificial nutrition and steroids). Who has  baby calves on a full feed rumen destroying feed regiment.......who has no common sense about the virtue of fertility levels of the the show heifers they destroy on a annual basis......are going to be concerned about a 15$ test? Its all about a coverup. It's all about about the newcomer who with their dominence of the breed has killed 4,000 registrations from last year. I stand corrected.

aj - did you remember to  send trevor and jamie their supply of Kool Aid? Humble Grape or Contrite Cherry, or maybe Apology Apple??? ;)

linnettejane

DL said:
linnettejane said:

yes, this is an issue, asking someone to store a dead calf in a cool environment or freeze  next to the strawberries (oh that will likely go over well :) is a certain way to not get the calf; not having an immediate response to someone willing to ship a dead calf is a certain way to not get the calf; not immediately offering to pay to have the calf shipped is a certain way to not get the calf. People have different levels of what they want to do, can afford to do and are willing to do...during the PHA gene hunt one breeder drove his dead PHA calf for more than 8 hours so that Dr B could have it - this turned out to be very important as it was the first time it was noted that the lymphatic system was not properly developed in these PHA calves. Other people had TH calves that they buried because the system was so onerous ...so

-sample from dam (if you can bleed her - yes do it; if not use pig ear notcher to get a sample)
-take pictures
-pedigree
-send all to Dr B

if calf is alive
-pictures
-pedigree
-send to Dr B

The more complicated it is the less likely people will participate; this will cost you (generic you) a little time and the cost of sending the samples - pretty cheap if it helps to identify a mutation you don't want to have in your herd :)

that seems much more "cost friendly" to tack on a loss than what the association put out...last time i had xrays done, and actually of the back foot, but due to an injury, it cost me $300!  and the impression i got from reading the report was it was "necessary" to have xrays to fully document.

also, is the contact info made available for the dr.'s @ the universities?  or do they give it to you when you call it in to the association? or is it in one of the other pdf's

just hypothetically speaking, if a person like myself had a defective calf (which i have not) , and just reading the report put out by the assoc., i would have to have a vet do most of the work.  pretty much the only thing i could do would be provide pics and pedigree.  dont know how to draw blood, xrays, no way of freezing a calf, no clue how to wrap the thing or prepare it for shipping, etc.....which i could see easily reaching the $500+ range...for a dead/defective calf...

just posing some questions/thoughts  i think others might be wondering about also......

from the asa
"Reporting Abnormal Calves – Digital Sublaxation (DS)
As we continue to characterize and engage potential problems, it has become necessary to request
assistance from breeders for collecting information and reporting the occurrence of a non-lethal skeletal
abnormality referred to as digital subluxation (DS) (Figures 1 & 2). This request is in response to seven
cases suspected to have digital subluxation during the past two years. The calves have been reported from
herds distributed across the United States. They are normally born alive and most can walk, suckle and
survive. The phenotype in some cases is subtle (Figure 1), yet more pronounced in others (Figure 2) and
hence the condition may not initially be recognized. As the figures illustrate, some calves only exhibit the
anomaly in one rear leg; in others both rear limbs are affected. Some calves exhibiting this condition have
improved in mobility over time, yet others have been euthanized due to worsened mobility. A distinct
outward curvature to the rear pasterns has been noted in all cases, though the severity of the skeletal
curvature is quite variable. Incorrect placement of the rear dewclaws has also been observed. Front limbs
appear to be normal at birth, as well as rear leg structure from the hocks upward. Additional structural
problems may develop as the animal tries to compensate for the luxation of the digit and resulting
lameness. Calves are reported having poorer growth performance, but this could be solely due to the
reduced mobility of the animals with the condition. As of yet, the cause of this condition is unknown.
Thus, reporting of additional calves is essential for understanding the basis of this abnormality.
Reporting Calves. To further the research on this condition, we urge you to report any cases immediately
so that we might obtain samples for examination. Calves can be reported to Patrick Wall
([email protected] 402-658-4258) at the American Shorthorn Association. Anyone willing to submit
an entire animal can ship the frozen sample to Dr. David Steffen at the University of Nebraska for
examination. DNA samples (blood tubes) of the affected calves should be sent to Dr. Jon Beever at the
University of Illinois. Digital images of the affected calves are helpful and AP radiographs (X-rays) of
both rear feet are necessary to fully document the condition."

DL

LJ - hypothetically speaking  ;)

-buy an ear notcher
-notch the calves ear, stick the little piece of ear in a zip lock baggie - label it
-notch the cows ear - do the same
-take a bunch of pictures
-send to Dr B along with reg # and or pedigree

cost - price of notcher (can also be used to get samples for BVD PI) about 10 bucks
cost of mailing - depending on where you are - about 10 bucks
doing the right thing - priceless

I posted the instructions and address - will have to find them

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=35626.0

sue

linnettejane said:
DL said:
linnettejane said:

-take pictures
-pedigree
-send all to Dr B

if calf is alive
-pictures
-pedigree
-send to Dr B

that seems much more "cost friendly" to tack on a loss than what the association put out...last time i had xrays done, and actually of the back foot, but due to an injury, it cost me $300!  and the impression i got from reading the report was it was "necessary" to have xrays to fully document.

also, is the contact info made available for the dr.'s @ the universities?  or do they give it to you when you call it in to the association? or is it in one of the other pdf's

just hypothetically speaking, if a person like myself had a defective calf (which i have not) , and just reading the report put out by the assoc., i would have to have a vet do most of the work.  pretty much the only thing i could do would be provide pics and pedigree.  dont know how to draw blood, xrays, no way of freezing a calf, no clue how to wrap the thing or prepare it for shipping, etc.....which i could see easily reaching the $500+ range...for a dead/defective calf...

just posing some questions/thoughts  i think others might be wondering about also......

from the asa
"Reporting Abnormal Calves – Digital Sublaxation (DS)
As we continue to characterize and engage potential problems, it has become necessary to request
assistance from breeders for collecting information and reporting the occurrence of a non-lethal skeletal
abnormality referred to as digital subluxation (DS) (Figures 1 & 2). This request is in response to seven
cases suspected to have digital subluxation during the past two years. The calves have been reported from
herds distributed across the United States. They are normally born alive and most can walk, suckle and
survive. The phenotype in some cases is subtle (Figure 1), yet more pronounced in others (Figure 2) and
hence the condition may not initially be recognized. As the figures illustrate, some calves only exhibit the
anomaly in one rear leg; in others both rear limbs are affected. Some calves exhibiting this condition have
improved in mobility over time, yet others have been euthanized due to worsened mobility. A distinct
outward curvature to the rear pasterns has been noted in all cases, though the severity of the skeletal
curvature is quite variable. Incorrect placement of the rear dewclaws has also been observed. Front limbs
appear to be normal at birth, as well as rear leg structure from the hocks upward. Additional structural
problems may develop as the animal tries to compensate for the luxation of the digit and resulting
lameness. Calves are reported having poorer growth performance, but this could be solely due to the
reduced mobility of the animals with the condition. As of yet, the cause of this condition is unknown.
Thus, reporting of additional calves is essential for understanding the basis of this abnormality.
Reporting Calves. To further the research on this condition, we urge you to report any cases immediately
so that we might obtain samples for examination. Calves can be reported to Patrick Wall
([email protected] 402-658-4258) at the American Shorthorn Association. Anyone willing to submit
an entire animal can ship the frozen sample to Dr. David Steffen at the University of Nebraska for
examination. DNA samples (blood tubes) of the affected calves should be sent to Dr. Jon Beever at the
University of Illinois. Digital images of the affected calves are helpful and AP radiographs (X-rays) of
both rear feet are necessary to fully document the condition."
Linnette- good points thanks.  Did you estimate costs  shipping too? 

knabe

I forget the cost of rebreeding a carrier to a carrier and not knowing they are carriers.  Has to be under 30 bucks or close to that.

linnettejane

oh geesh sue...now you got me thinking more...you'd have to mail it overnight or priority mail, wouldnt ya?  i mean, if its frozen, you sure wouldnt want it thawed out by the time it got there!  :eek:  it wouldnt be any good anymore would it?  and that'd be a real waste of money! 

ok, im done...its too pretty outside to be on this computer!  gonna go wash some heifers!!!

DL

linnettejane said:
oh geesh sue...now you got me thinking more...you'd have to mail it overnight or priority mail, wouldnt ya?  i mean, if its frozen, you sure wouldnt want it thawed out by the time it got there!   :eek:  it wouldnt be any good anymore would it?  and that'd be a real waste of money! 

ok, im done...its too pretty outside to be on this computer!  gonna go wash some heifers!!!

OK as someone who has mailed in lots of samples from other peoples cows (at my expense) because it seemed like the right thing to do I am having a bit of a problem with the notion that the cost of shipment would keep people from submitting samples -

-send it ups
-send it Monday
-put a cold pack in
-if it can get to U of I by Wed or Thurs send it ground (about 10 bucks)
-if it can't get there by wed or Thurs send it 2nd or 3rd day
-likely cheaper than 2 cans of spray paint

for specific instructions

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=35626.0

OKshorthorn

I have a purebred shorthorn heifer that has an identical piece of hoof missing on both rear legs. The vet said she was born like that, its directly in the center of her hooves on the bottom side. Simply case of not forming completely or possibly genetic?

Forgot to add that its about the size of a quarter to half dollar.

firesweepranch

See, this is why I like the ASA (Simmental). I get a newsletter in my email every Friday, and for the last few months it has had this disclaimer:

"It's that time of year again when abnormal calves will be born in our members' herds. ASA has a confidential, free reporting service for all members. If you have an abnormal calf, please call Jerry, Wade, or Marilyn immediately (well, at least during the work day!). We will work with each member to get a diagnosis. Regardless, if the calf is alive or dead, call us before any tissue degradation occurs. We usually ask for photos or video. If any laboratory work is needed, ASA pays all expenses."

I think that about explains how to handle it if you get an abnormal calf. Plain and simple...  (pop)

Hey DL, you might be working for the wrong breed  ;)