powder river panels.

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

bow gates and panels have basically doubled in price in less than a year.  anyone know why?

kanshow

Scrap metal has become like gold around here so stands to reason that anything made of metal would skyrocket.   Add any transportation costs in and that could double them.

GLZ

No reason for certain, however I am sure a lot of it has to do with steel prices being throught the roof.

Show Dad

One reason, China. But basically the steel price and all it's associated input costs have risen. But the is some relief in sight. As the world economy slows the demand for steel has slacked. Some price reductions by next spring like 5 - 10% will be common. but the prices of 2 to 3 years ago are gone for ever.

aj

The powder river panels will last forever though. The should be used as permanent fencing. If you are hauling them around as portable panels the are just about to heavy to do that. 12 foot panels are almost doable but those 16 foot panels are people killers.

xxcc

couple reasons,  the initial reason was that about 4 years ago, Bush placed a steel embargo on the foreign market so that it would increase steel prices so that Pennsylvania steel worker would experience higher wages, since their wages had been relatively out of the market due to importing steel at a lower cost from foreign markets like China.  Very adverse affects that were compounded by the second reason, the American dollar is devalued globaly and steel commands a higher respective price from foreign markets(oh and btw, do you know what happens to countries that become dependent on other countries for EVEYTHING!!!), thirdly, China's industrial era seems to be out of control, age old supply and demand.

knabe

aj said:
The powder river panels will last forever though. The should be used as permanent fencing. If you are hauling them around as portable panels the are just about to heavy to do that. 12 foot panels are almost doable but those 16 foot panels are people killers.

i am going to use them as permanent.  i finally finished most of my barn with two stall woodshop and had to move a couple of stalls and need two more crowding panels and a bow gate to make it a little more safe.  i think it was last year, i purchased a 12 or 16 foot panel for around 140, and now they are around 300, and so is the bow gate, which is kind of curious as there isn't near the steel or number of welds on it compared to a panel.

p.s.  it's going to rain in CA tonight and i predict a wetter year out west and a more normal wet season out "west", ie plains states.

jason

I am remodeling a house right now and had to replace the old galvanized steel pipe.  I was originally planned to use copper, but the idea was struck down after seeing the price.  I ended up using PEX tubing.  Also I am rewiring the house and 0, 00 AWG wire I need for the entrance about killed me.