power plant

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

DL

cowtown018 said:
Are there any power plant semen out there, what is it worth?

DeJong's may stilll have some as they bred the bull - that is where I got mine

kdoublet

or you could try Bullistic (reg. 167809), a full brother to Power Plant.  I heard that Lou DeJong had/has some for $20/unit with qty discounts.  Its not Power Plant, but then again, its not that expensive. 

Mueller Show Cattle

I have been looking for some time for some PP semen, I knew about bull barn and SEK having it for the $200 a straw. I have a really nice Full Throttle cow that is one of my better club calf producers that I have been wanting to flush to PP and hope for all heifers (I know that will not happen but I can dream). I just have been hoping to find some semen cheaper than the $200 and maybe directly from the owners which would be better then I know the semen has not been handled as much. I did email Lou Dejong asking if they had any that they would be willing to sell, Is that the person I should be contacting or a different Dejong? Anyone know of anyone that would have some actual daughters directly out of PP that they are looking to sell?

Telos

Just my two cents... IMO, Dejong's have improved this lineage through intense selection.  Personally I would look into his current sire line-up. Miles Dejong is one of the great Maine breeders in North America and has spent his life improving these cattle. Many sire prospects which Dejong Ranch sells, go back to his Power Plant sire. They have done all the time consuming work in making this lineage more consistent and fault free.

ploughshare

For a 1980's bull he is OK.  Nice clean fronts, but a bit tight wound.  In the mid -1990's Dave Faber harvested his dam's ovaries to create some oocytes for ivf.  I am not sure that worked at that time.  I agree with Telos that Miles has made better Maines since then.  Monkey Mouth could be an issue.  I am not sure the investment in the high dollar Power Plant semen will pay dividends, but then again, it could on the right cow.  I saw a Stilts cow sell on a recent sale beat the sale average.  You could make some money, but you might not win a show.