Prefect time for this weather!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bone2011

here in central South Dakota we are in the 12-24 inch snowfall category with 50 mph winds expected on Friday and Saturday, and it looks like you Iowa boys are in for a bit more. The snow is just starting to fall and in town they are already loosing power. I can not believe this could have not have come when we had school...ridiculous.....now i cant wait to start scooping bunks out tomorrow!... not!

CM Cattle

I would it rather happen now than when we are in school, we got out of school for 3 weeks for the ice storm and ended up going to school half of the summer. It sucked.

Joe Boy

We have been having a blizzard all day long.  I was going to pay the boys who worked for me and give them some gifts for their family, pick up a prescription, pay my annual rent for a cash leased farm, but I have been home watching the snow blow.  We have drifts almost 8' in places.  4-6' on roads and around the house.  My tall drifts are where I hauled in hay last night.  You cannot see trying to drive for the blowing snow.  We got a half inch of rain prior to the snow, followed by sleet, and this makes everything really slick.  I had to tell my children and grandchildren not to come.  The sun is trying to break out right now.  It is a mess.  We are not in Kansas or Nebraska.  We are in north central Texas.  The electricity is flickering.  Winds have been up to 49 but are 28 now with gust to 40.  My cattle are all white, and you cannot tell their true colors, must be politicians.  Some I can read their tags.  I opened the barn stalls and they filled immediately.  The ones on the north wheat pasture have no protection at all, so we are in hopes the winds will die down soon.  It is to be 10 tonight.  Has been 24 today.

BABYTEX

What part of South Dakota are you in.  We are suppose to go to my Grandparents house to bring a half of beef on Saturday morn.  They live near Ipswich.  We are coming from near Fergus Falls, MN.

DTW

Just looked out the window and pulled up weather forecast and radar.  20 inches of snow here in nw iowa and winds 30 mile an hour gusting to just under 50 and low temps down to single digits.  So you know where the wind chill will be.

Cows were huddled behind the barn and couldnt tell who was who. 

Going to be a long day tomorrow with the wind and snow still falling.  Hopefully cows can make it to hay and water till i can get on the cables tractor to move snow.

I havent seen anything like this since i was a young kid.  Sure could have done without.  And we wont see temps above freezing for awhile.

jbw

This is a dandy. I took the cows an extra 40 pounds of silage tonight at dark. I had to chain up the tractor to get to 'em and I moved snow all day!

DTW

this is ridiculous.  I havent seen anything like this since the winter of 1975 although i was to young i can remember snow drifts covering up entire barns.  and feedlot cattle dead in snow drifts.
will be out early tomorrow to make sure everything is still alive and here.