Preferred Preg Check Method?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

What is your preferred preg checking method? Setting up AI dates at moment so just trying to figure everything out. At how many days can you ultrasound successfully? What is the most accurate method (in your opinion)? Thanks

ZNT

We ultra-sound everything on our place.  Since we are strictly A.I., we need to know as early as possible if there may be an issue.  Typically we ultra-sound between 30-40 days after breeding.  Especially if we recognized no heat 17-23 days after breeding.

hamburgman

ZNT makes the good case for the 28 day preg check.  Generally this is the earliest that most people can ultrasound and find a pregnancy.  I would argue if you don't need to know that early then a 60 to 70 day preg check from you AI date would be better, because fewer pregnancies are lost after 60 days compared to 30 days.  It is easy to arm and age a pregnancy also at 60 days, and I believe this is a good window to sex a pregnancy also.

CCW

BioPRYN blood test at 28 days is my preferred method since ultrasound isn't readily available in my area. Blood test works great in my opinion if you test at 28 days the you know whether they are AI bred or not. If you AI and turn in bull and wait 4 months to test. All you know is bred or not. Not really helpful on determining AI bred or pasture bred. So I test at 30 days post AI and then 30 days after pasture sire is pulled, so I can get rid of opens quickly. AT $2.60/test plus shipping to lab it is hard to beat.

wiseguy

I am with hamburgerman. 60-70 days is much more safe and our vet is more accurate with the sex. Also, if a cow is open he can sometimes let us know why cystic, ect.  However, if you A.I. everything you could sure set a group of cows back pretty fast waiting 60 days to preg check.

Warrior10

wiseguy said:
I am with hamburgerman. 60-70 days is much more safe and our vet is more accurate with the sex. Also, if a cow is open he can sometimes let us know why cystic, ect.  However, if you A.I. everything you could sure set a group of cows back pretty fast waiting 60 days to preg check.
Ya, I plan to AI everything that doesn't stick the first time a second time. So preg checking at 60 just wouldn't work. I understand what your saying though, thanks for all responses!

hamburgman

If you are using a synchronization protocol then you just heat detect 18-24 days after.  You can still do a 60 day preg check on the first cows that settle and the others wouldn't be at 60 days, but you should be able to call them preg or open.  I would just AI twice, turn bull out and go with a 60 day preg check.

Diamond

BioPRYN, I have had it be 100% accurate so far, and its cheaper then having the vet out.

Woody

I do a three part preg check. I run 25 cows. I have my vet check the first group, which is usually 4-5 cows, as early as 28 days. After that I will do another group of about 10. I keep Breeding cows naturally untill April 10th calving then cyncronize the remaining cows and turn the bull out. 30 days after pulling the bull I do the final preg check. I'm fortunate to have a vet that does a lot of work on large dairys so he is used to detecting early pregnancies. I should also add that it my vet uses ultrasound to detect the pregnancies.

sgetz007

If you have a good vet that is the best method.  A blood test can't tell between AI and natural service date if you have both.  Also, if you are only using AI and there is an issue affecting conception (cystic ovary or abnormal repro tract in heifers) the vet can ID that and save you money in the long run.  For some situations a blood test may be useful, but it will never replace a skilled arm.

Woody

I've never used the blood test or even been around it, but it sounds like a lot more hassle than having a vet check. How long does it take to get results back?

bluffcountrycattle

I've had skilled veterinarians pick up pregnancy via ultrasound at 28 days, and then palpate for comparison, and then say that was a possible pregnancy that they would of missed by palpation alone.  It's easy to do.  If he called her open (when she really was pregnant) and gave her Lute to resynch, he just aborted the pregnancy and she really IS now open!  Trust your vet and their abilities, and use the method best suited to your breeding program and facilities.  

farmboy

Woody said:
I've never used the blood test or even been around it, but it sounds like a lot more hassle than having a vet check. How long does it take to get results back?

Its cheaper than having the vet check ($2.50 + shipping)
Palpations cause abortions
Can be done at 28 days just by drawing blood

Results are back fast.

bluffcountrycattle

Zach said:
Woody said:

Palpations cause abortions
Not true...check out the research from Texas A&M just recently.  Palpation is safe, and ultrasound is even less invasive.  Keep in mind the numbers in the article are for dairy cattle, who experience a higher rate of abortions due to management and milk productions.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/drovers/departments/profit-tips/Profit-Tips-Reproduction-Rectal-palpation-and-pregnancy-loss-139096444.html

hamburgman

With a skilled and trained arm yes palpation shouldn't cause abortions.  You will discuss that in vet school

bluffcountrycattle

Zach said:
Are you really trying to say palpation doesn't cause abortions?  ::) ::) ::)
That's correct...take 30 seconds and read the research study highlights.  There is always a chance with Mother Nature that a certain percentage of pregnancies will be lost, but they are not caused by rectal palpation or ultrasound.

HGC

Out of 30 cows we get 0-2 calves a year out of the clean up bull.  We AI for 70 days, we ultrasound half way through and then again 5 days before we turn the bull out.  That way if somebody is open that should be AI'd we can Lute them and AI one last time, and we will do some fetal sexing at that time.  I really like the ultrasound, our vet can pick up cysts or infections or any other problems and we can manage accordingly. 

A note about palpation and abortions.  Our vet has never been more than 2 days off on ultrasound dates.  3 years ago we had a cow 35 days pregnant that he called 28 days.  He said that there was no way that it was a 35 day pregnancy, and although the heart was still beating, it probably stopped growing and was in the process of dieing.  7 days later the cow was in heat.  If we would have palpated that cow, I would have blamed the vet for rubbing one out, when it was just mother nature.  BTW she concieved and calved to that heat she had 7 days later.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

kgrhqrhjbqe7zgtudbbo8y4.jpg

$1200 on ebay