Premature Calf: Estimating full term BWt?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

Yesterday we had a Carnac bull calf that came 28 days early.  It wasn't easy in this cold weather to get him going but it looks like he will have a good chance of making it.

I was trying to figure out how much the Carnac calves born full term will weigh.  Does anyone know what % of their Bwt. a calf will gain the last 30 days of gestation?  The calf weighed 50 lbs. 

Thanks,
RSC

DL

RSC - You could estimate 2 to 3 pounds per day - however, there was a study somewhere some time that AIed some number of Angus heifers to calve March 1st - they calved 30 days one either side of March 1st with most clustering around March 1st and falling off in a bell shaped curve....are his teeth fully erupted? does he have a "normal" haircut or is it really short? are his hooves softish?

with premature calves in this rotten cold weather - the 2 big important things are keeping him warm (best way is that he is nursing but if he isn't tube him!) and low glucose - premies dont regulate either their temperature or glucose metabolism like "normal" babies. They are also a set up for infection - -

I had a 30 d early calf last year (who did live in the house for 7 days) but did really well until he was struck by lightening at 30 days of age - that was pretty sad and unpleasant! They take a little to a lot more care, management but they can do aok - good luck and keep us posted, DL  (cow)

red

DL or any others, what has been the smallest premature calf you've seen born that has survived?  :-\
I was always told that to expect a 2-3 pound a day gain on BW. that's why I guess I induce some of my heavier birth weight cows if they go a day past their due date. We've pulled too many 130+ pound calves.

DL, this is also for you, xxcc asked me about our old buddy Burner. He wanted to know about his calves. I told him good bull but wow on the BW's. ??? Told him you still had some of his semen. He didn't think he'd chance the BW's.
Red

RSC

DL said:
RSC - You could estimate 2 to 3 pounds per day - however, there was a study somewhere some time that AIed some number of Angus heifers to calve March 1st - they calved 30 days one either side of March 1st with most clustering around March 1st and falling off in a bell shaped curve....are his teeth fully erupted? does he have a "normal" haircut or is it really short? are his hooves softish?

with premature calves in this rotten cold weather - the 2 big important things are keeping him warm (best way is that he is nursing but if he isn't tube him!) and low glucose - premies dont regulate either their temperature or glucose metabolism like "normal" babies. They are also a set up for infection - -

I had a 30 d early calf last year (who did live in the house for 7 days) but did really well until he was struck by lightening at 30 days of age - that was pretty sad and unpleasant! They take a little to a lot more care, management but they can do aok - good luck and keep us posted, DL   (cow)

DL, His hooves and teeth look fine.  Hair is realy short though and alomost bare down the topline.  We are keeping him in a hotbox most of the time but when we let him out to feed we purchased a fleece coat that is used for sled-dogs.  If he takes off fine,  how long will it take to get a haircoat growing on a young one like this?

RSC

DL

I don't think it is the weight so much as the level of maturity - that determines survival - that and excellent nursing care (husbandry, TLC whatever you want to call it). The early big killer of premie calves is related to immaturity of the lungs - ie they lack surfactant (that is basically the stuff that lowers surface tension in the alveoli - air sacs - and lets them expand so that oxygen can be exchanged.) Immature lungs of course sets them up for pneumonia. For premature human babies they use surfactant (high dollar baby horses too) - but it is very expensive.

My 30 premie calf weighed 63 pounds (AI'ed once, no  bull!)  - but he had no teeth to speak of - no hair to speak of and soft hooves - I can't t remember how long I tubed him but one day he just started sucking the bottle (I would offer the bottle first) - from there he was off and running - but with no hair and winter he wore a coat for his entire life and after a week in the house that drove the dogs nuts and disrupted my sleep) I bought him a calf hutch which I stuck in the creep. I locked him in at night and gradually he got stronger and fatter where he could spend all his time with the other calves/mothers. He even learned to steal. I thought we were home free and he was struck by lightening.

I have heard of premie calves less than 50 pounds - most premies don't survive - their care is pretty labor intensive - some people (big dairies?) don't think it is a good use of resources.

Burner - loved that bull - gonna use him this year on my Polleroid cow. Had a Burner daughter - Malinds=a's best friend from nursing schools husband (a beef vet and friend) thought she was the best female on the place! Pf course there have been several since then that he liked better!

Very cold - incredible wind - blizzard on and off - have another new baby and expecting 2 more in the next 24 hrs - suppose to be even colder on Sunday so I guess I am lucky! And she 's a girls!

Off the check cows and dress like the pop and dough boy! DL (cow)

RSC - it could take up to 3 weeks to get decent hair - maybe more - I would sure keep him dressed - in this weather they don't need to use their energy to keep warm  when there are other better uses for it!

Joe Boy

Years ago we had a preemie that her teeth were not through the gums and she could not see for days.  She could not stand and the first cows milk I gave her scoured her.  I practically lived with her for a month. I fed her with a syringe as she could not suck.  She survived and weighed very little and could fit in a 2.5 gal. bucket.  We cried when we sold her.

This year we have one that was born 2.5 weeks early.  His teeth were in but short and bleeding.  His feet very soft.  It has taken him a long time to grow.  I have not worked him yet as I felt sorry for him.

Wish you the best.