Premature delivery

Help Support Steer Planet:

debtramm

Yesterday wasn't a good day.  My daughter's heifer delivered a beautiful bull calf 7 weeks early.  We noticed she was bagging and springing a few days earlier but you know sometimes this can go on for what seems like eternity and with the due date of 8-23, didn't think anything was unusual.  Found the baby early yesterday morning now I'm wondering if the placenta has been passed.  Mother appears to be fine with no additional concerns.
Would appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences.  GM

Jenny

just keep watching the momma....if all has not passed, there will be some "stuff" hanging out; if the placenta has not all passed, after about 36 hrs. will want to call a vet and see what they recommend.
hope you have a good cattle vet available for help.

unfortunately premature births happen sometimes.
could be the baby died in the cow then she delivered it;  one way to sometimes tell if this happened is to check the teeth of the calf; if they are pretty loose, then the calf has begun to deteriorate....assume it had been dead in the cow for a day or so.
could be it was born alive then was too preemie to live then died.

sorry it happened.

Bulldaddy

There is nothing wrong with a cow calving 7 days early.  Actually, that is a good thing and not unusual for heifers to calve a week or so early.  As long as the calf is developed enough to suckle it will probably be fine.  You may not find the placenta because most cows eat it soon after passing it.  I hope the calf is okay.

Show Heifer

I am assuming the calf is dead (hence the bad day AND 7 WEEKS early)... did the calf look normal?
I don't know breed or pedigree but I do know that deformed or calves carrying genetic defective calves will sometimes calve early.

Sorry about your bad luck.

debtramm

We found the calf dead, no abnormalities apparent.  He  was to be our first Gigi lo Joe calf.    We are watching the Mom closely since I was not there when the delivery occurred and don't know if she passed and ate the placenta or not.  So far, she is doing well, has a good appetite and is not running a temperature.  I know things like this happen and all for good reason because mother nature knows best but still sad.  You AI and wait so long to see the results!.  GM