Preventing Worker Deaths and Injuries When Handling Micotil 300® April 2007

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

This was from the National Insitute for Safety. After reading a similar discussion on another board, I felt compelled to do some research. If I can prevent anyone form death or serious harm, I did my part for the day.
Red

Preventing Worker Deaths and Injuries When Handling Micotil 300® April 2007

Summary
Livestock producers, veterinarians, and other workers may be exposed to the toxic hazards of the animal antibiotic Micotil 300® through needlestick injuries, skin cuts, puncture wounds, and contact with skin and mucous membranes. Cardio-toxic effects of Micotil 300® on the human heart, including a reduced cardiac contractility and tachycardia (rapid heart beat), can be severe enough to cause death.

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends that extreme care be given to following safe drug handling and injection procedures to avoid the possibility of self injection. Although no antidote exists for Micotil 300®, exposed persons should seek immediate medical intervention as the drug’s cardiotoxic effects may be reversed.

Description of Exposure
Tilmicosin phosphate, sold under the trade name Micotil 300®, is an animal antibiotic developed to treat “shipping fever,” a bovine and ovine respiratory disease. In the United States, veterinarians give Micotil 300® to animals, but more frequently prescribe it for their clients to use on cattle and sheep at livestock facilities.

The 2002 Census of Agriculture reported 80,743 U.S. farms with cattle feed operations involving 14.9 million head of cat-tle [USDA 2004]. Thousands of workers on these farms could be exposed when they inject cattle with Micotil 300®.

Elanco, the company that developed and produces Micotil 300®, received 2,392 reports of human exposures worldwide to Mi-cotil 300® between 1992 and 2000 [Elanco 2002]. Thirteen confirmed Micotil 300®-associated human fatalities have been re-corded worldwide since 1995, most associated with suicides [FDA 2006].

Case Studies
The Nebraska Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation Program (NE FACE) investigated two separate incidents involving unintentional injection of Micotil 300®.

Case 1
On March 8, 2003, a 38-year-old cattleman was preparing to inject Micotil 300® into a heifer secured in a squeeze chute inside a barn. The cattleman was carrying a 12-cc plastic disposable syringe in his right hand. The man was knocked to the ground when a cow in an adjacent pen charged, striking the fence panel. As a result of either the strike or the fall, the cattleman was injected with an unknown amount of the antibiotic. He immediately began to feel dizzy and nauseated. He was able to call for help, and his wife, in the house nearby, called an ambulance. The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital where he died an hour and a half later. The death certificate indicated the cause of death was respiratory failure as a consequence of cardiac arrest caused by a lethal injection [Nebraska Department of Labor 2003].

Case 2
On November 16, 2004, a 41-year-old cattle rancher was preparing to inject two calves with Micotil 300® using a 20-cc plastic disposable syringe. The calves were in an outside lot squeeze chute. After injecting the first calf, the rancher placed the syringe in his mouth to hold it, freeing his hands to open the squeeze chute gate. At the same instant, the injected calf lunged forward, flinging open the end doors and causing the handle to strike the victim’s left hand, driving it backwards into the needle. The rancher was injected between his left thumb and first finger with 1 to 1.5 cc of Micotil 300®. He immediately felt a burning sensation at the injection site. Within a few minutes, he developed a severe ringing in his ears and felt as though his tongue and lips were swollen. He called out for help, and his wife called the Rocky Mountain Poison Control Center. They advised her to place ice on the injection site and immediately get her husband to an emergency room. As his condition worsened in the emergency department, he was airlifted to a regional medical center and treated in the intensive care unit for 2 days. After his condition stabilized, he was discharged [Nebraska Department of Labor 2005].

Controls
Workers and employers should take the following steps to protect themselves and others when handling or administering Micotil 300®. In the case of human injection, consult a physician immediately and apply ice to the injection site. Transport the victim immediately to a hospital and call 1–800–722–0987 for further emergency information.

Veterinarians
Consider prescribing animal medications that do not have toxic effects on humans.
Do not administer Micotil 300® if animals cannot be restrained in an appropriate restraint, or if there is concern over operator skill.
Using the client information sheet attached to each bottle of Micotil 300®, verbally review Elanco’s revised user safety warnings with each purchaser. Use a co-signed Micotil 300® Client Dispensing Information form [Elanco 2006] to document that each purchaser understands that Micotil 300® has been fatal to humans. This form details the hazards associated with Micotil 300® and identifies safe administration methods, appropriate first aid treatment, and emergency phone numbers.
Provide guidance to purchasers on proper equipment for administration. Multiple dose dispensers are available and include specific handling instructions.
Employers
Store Micotil 300® in a safe location that is not readily accessible by untrained persons.
Train workers assigned to handle Micotil 300® by using training videos, DVDs, laminated dosage sheets, material safety data sheets (MSDS), client information sheet, and safe handling cards. To obtain these materials, call Elanco at 1–800–428–4441 or visit Elanco’s Web site at www.elanco.com.
Ensure that proper handling procedures for Micotil 300® are available at the worksite and are reviewed by all workers before they handle this drug. These procedures should be written in the primary language(s) of drug handlers and at their reading level.
Provide a means to adequately restrain animals during treatment. An animal that is adequately restrained will not be able to move in an unpredictable manner. Work with a veterinarian to determine what adequate restraint means for the particular operation.
Provide a sharps disposal container for safe handling and disposal of syringes and needles, and goggles and impermeable, needle-puncture-resistant gloves for personal protection.

Ensure that only persons trained in the hazards of Micotil 300® and safe handling procedures are allowed to handle this drug and that workers do not work alone while handling or injecting the drug.
Ensure that coldpacks and icepacks are available at the workplace where injections will be given.
Ensure that telephones are available to workers. Post the following telephone numbers in visible locations such as near the office, barn, and house telephones:
Emergency Medical Services 911 or dial 0 (operator) and report the emergency and specific location
Rocky Mountain Poison Control and Drug Center 1–800–332–3073 (This center has been trained by the drug manufacturer to handle emergencies specific to Micotil 300® exposure in both English and Spanish)
Elanco: 1–800–722–0987, medical emergency hotline; 1–800–428–4441 (English only)
Workers
Drug handling and preparation
Read, understand, and follow all directions located on the label and on the client information sheet that is provided with each bottle of Micotil 300®.
Wear goggles and impermeable, needle-puncture-resistant gloves, and wash hands after handling.
Never work alone when handling or injecting Micotil 300®.
Fill syringes in an area restricted for that purpose alone (preparation room). Never allow children in this area.
Do not smoke, eat, drink, or store food in the resticted area.
Never use automatically powered syringes.
Never fill one syringe with medication for injecting several animals. Use a separate syringe for each animal. If provided with a multiple dose dispenser, ask employer for specific handling instructions.
Always use a 16- to 18-gauge needle that is 1/2 inch to 5/8 inches long.
Keep a protective cover on needles until ready for use.
Place filled syringes in a puncture-proof carrying case before moving to the animal’s location.
Never place or carry a loaded syringe in a pocket, other clothing, or in the mouth.
Clean up spills immediately.
Call one of the emergency contact numbers if an exposure occurs, apply ice, proceed immediately to a hospital emergency room, or call 911 for emergency transport.
Injection of livestock
Keep children and bystanders out of the area where Micotil 300® is to be given.
Wear goggles and impermeable, needle-puncture-resistant gloves, and wash hands after handling.
Evaluate the animal to be injected as well as the animal’s surroundings to determine whether it is safe to give the drug.
Do not give the drug to an animal that cannot be adequately restrained.
Restrain animals in a restraint that the employer, in consultation with the veterinarian, has determined is adequate for the operation.
Identify a useable exit route in case the animal breaks out of the restraint.
Inject Micotil 300® by holding the syringe in one hand while inserting the needle subcutaneously and at a top-down angle. Avoid penetrating the animal’s underlying muscle.
Do not replace the protective cap over the needle of the syringe after use.
Immediately after use, place the syringe with needle attached in a puncture-proof sharps disposal container. Return the disposal container to the preparation area for final disposal.
Acknowledgments
The principal contributors to this publication were Doloris Higgins, NIOSH Division of Safety Research; William Hetzler and Arthur Davis, Nebraska Workforce Development; Susanna Von Essen, MD, MPH, Nebraska Medical Center; Kelley Donham, DVM, MS, Professor and Associate Department Head for Agricultural Medicine, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Great Plains Agricultural Center; Dan McChesney, Ph.D., FDA; Victoria Hampshire, VMD, FDA; John Baker, DVM, FDA.

References
Elanco [2002]. Timeline, an Elanco publication for veterinarians. Greenfield, IN: Issue no. 3, Winter 2002.

Elanco [2006]. Micotil 300® client dispensing information. Greenfield, IN: Elanco Animal Health, Form No. AI9910.

FDA [2006]. Unpublished FDA analysis of Center for Veterinary Medicine adverse drug event data base. Washington, DC: U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Nebraska Department of Labor [2003]. Cattleman dies due to accidental injection. Omaha, NE: Nebraska Department of Labor, Nebraska Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation Program (NE FACE) Report No. 03NE004.

Nebraska Department of Labor [2005]. Cattle rancher hospitalized after accidental injection of Micotil. Omaha, NE: Nebraska Department of Labor, Nebraska Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation Program (NE FACE) Report No. 04NE99.

USDA [2004]. 2002 Census of Agriculture: United States summary and State data. Volume 1. Geographical Area Series. Part S1. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Statistics Service, Report AL–02–4–51.
For More Information
For more information about intervention after human exposure to injected Micotil 300®, contact Elanco Animal Health, a Division of Eli Lilly & Company: P.O. Box 707, 2001 W. Main St., Greenfield, IN 46140; telephone 1–800–722–0987.

For Micotil 300® safe handling and use materials, visit the Elanco Web site at www.elanco.com.

Show Heifer

Thank you Red!  I am tired of hearing peoples excuses on not "respecting" micotil.  Just because it hasn't "hit close to home" does not make it safe. I personally will not use micotil. No animal on my farm is worth risking my life or anyone elses life over.  I about fainted one day when I was at a farm and a fella had his 6 year old carry a syringe of micotil to the barn. When I explained how lethal micotil was, he called his vet as I waited, and although his vet down played it, he agreed. Thankfully this producer immediately when to his medical vet cabinet, and drained the bottle down the drain, and through the bottle and syringe away. I guess he felt the same I do!!! (clapping)

DL

Thanks Red - I still cringe when I think of the showbox with Micotil needle and syringe in the bottle; the kid at the show injecting the semi snotty steer in a grooming chute; the guy with the syringe in his mouth ----

red

Show Hef- not sure if pouring down the drain was the best thing! Remember what goes into the drain goes into your water!
Sorry, as an old soil & water person, it makes me cringe when I hear people dumping stuff down the drain!

Red

the angus111

Oh Cathy! only us people that live in the country have to worry about that!it might slow the coyotes down a little.rusty

afhm

It would still be very dangerous, but if they could change it to a intramuscular  instead of a sub q drug it would be much safer.

DL

afhm said:
It would still be very dangerous, but if they could change it to a intramuscular  instead of a sub q drug it would be much safer.

Actually the vast majority of incidents had nothing to do with the injection route but more with where people put syringes - accidents, ignorance, carelessness etc
syringe in your mouth, syringe in your pocket - doesn't matter how it goes into the cow if it goes in to you first

IM micotil would likely be pretty painful and cause severe tissue reaction and it seems that we are trying to get away from IM injections for beef quality purposes

I stopped prescribing Micotil - it is a good drug but risk benefit wise it is a no brainer especially when there is a human safe drug of the same class available (Draxxin)...

red

they still use it here some so I printed it out & posted it in the medicince room.
I'm not saying don't use it but use it w/ precautions & know the risks!

Rusty- ground water very serious issue w/ me no matter where we live. The guys here are really cleaning up their act w/ dikes pads for manure, chemicals, fertilizer & fuel. Of course the $ the government chips in is a big incentative.

Red

Jill

We are in the septic business and I can tell you they are serious about it in the more urban areas also.  It is amazing the changes this industry has gone through in the past 15 years. 

yuppiecowboy

It should be banned. Draxxin is as good. Nuflor is better imho but you have to get em in the chute multiple times. there are several pharmacueticals that scare the bejeepers out of me (Rompom comes to mind) that are crazy dangerous if you dont know what you are handling and it seems that most I have seen handling dont know.

DL

yuppiecowboy said:
It should be banned. Draxxin is as good. Nuflor is better imho but you have to get em in the chute multiple times. there are several pharmacueticals that scare the bejeepers out of me (Rompom comes to mind) that are crazy dangerous if you dont know what you are handling and it seems that most I have seen handling dont know.

You can't legislate stupidity or carelessness - Micotil is a great drug for respiratory diseases in cattle - unfortunately it was treated by vets and farmers like all other drugs - carelessly - I don't think it should be banned (we have 2 confirmed deaths and several confirmed incidents in 15 years - should we ban alcolhol or cars because of drunk driving deaths).

Xylazine (Rompun) is another drug that can kill ya, as you say, so can some of the insecticides we use, and for that matter Lutalyse (and other prostaglandin F2 alpha analogs) can cause abortion is pregnant women but also can potentially cause fatal asthma like bronchoconstriction. And of course Bang's vaccine is a live vaccine that can cause Undulant Fever in humans -

We are in a dangerous business - we need to be careful and not stupid.

yuppiecowboy

DL, upon reflection, I agree. Darwin reproductive lelection at it its finest. But I have to tell you, seeing a 12 year old kid waving around a loaded syringe of Rompun is a scary sight.

red

there are so many drugs that can cause death. After seeing my red heifer almost die form a reaction w/ PNC I'm very cautious around it now.
I just know from my own experiences w/ drugs, there are many w/ terrible side affects. Have ended up in the ER too many times w/ a reaction form a medicines after a doctor swore it would be fine for me. Last was an injection of Forteo that caused a black-out.

Red

DL

yuppiecowboy said:
DL, upon reflection, I agree. Darwin reproductive lelection at it its finest. But I have to tell you, seeing a 12 year old kid waving around a loaded syringe of Rompun is a scary sight.

YC - yup that would be scary and pray tell where did a 12 year old kid obtain a drug that is only available by prescription??Someone is not behaving properly here, or perhaps within the law....

yuppiecowboy

Now DL, you wouldn't suggest people would misuse a labeled pharmaceutical at a county fair would you? That would never happen, would it?

I knew several people that that used it to calm nutty steers on showday. I usually thought they should give the dad the drug and just show the calf and everyone would be better off. Or try haltering them sooner than the week prior to the fair.

DL

yuppiecowboy said:
Now DL, you wouldn't suggest people would misuse a labeled pharmaceutical at a county fair would you? That would never happen, would it?

I knew several people that that used it to calm nutty steers on showday. I usually thought they should give the dad the drug and just show the calf and everyone would be better off. Or try haltering them sooner than the week prior to the fair.

Imagine that! Better living thru chemisty is alive and well in the show ring. I was at an Expo once when a sale bull of an unnamed breed was given xylazine ("didn't want anyone to get hurt") and slept thru the show - it was announced he could be seen in his stall (I don't think they said he was snoring :)