Price point for Bulls in the United States

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I was wondering if there was any data out there for prices on herd bulls. Is there any cattle associations or farm management assc. data on average prices paid for breeding bulls? I think the 3 bulls I bought in the last seven years was 2800, 4500 and 4000$.

Steve123

I am not sure this article from Drovers will answer your question.  But is will give you an idea of what to spend.  Its a deceptive number if you look at the average price paid.  Take Schaff Angus Valley as an example, the average price of their bulls is no indication of what the majority of them sell for.  A better measure would be the "mean" to know if you can buy a bull from them.  My measure is "can I pay more than the contending bidder" and that's not always very smart.

https://www.drovers.com/article/how-much-can-i-afford-pay-bull

shortybreeder

Steve123 said:
I am not sure this article from Drovers will answer your question.  But is will give you an idea of what to spend.  Its a deceptive number if you look at the average price paid.  Take Schaff Angus Valley as an example, the average price of their bulls is no indication of what the majority of them sell for.  A better measure would be the "mean" to know if you can buy a bull from them.  My measure is "can I pay more than the contending bidder" and that's not always very smart.

Mean and average are the same thing. I believe you meant Median.
I think the average really depends on whether you're liking at commercial operations or seedstock. Seedstock breeders should be spending more, but from what I've seen that doesn't always turn out to be the case.
I think the 5 calf rule is interesting when combining it with the increased value of 5 purebred calves of that age. I don't know many shorthorn breeders spending that kind of money on their herd bulls.

oakview

The minimum sales price at a sale I am familiar with was 1,800 last spring, for most of the breeds represented.  Numerous bulls of many breeds did not sell.  Throw in the thousands of "breeding bulls" that sell every year at special sale barn auctions and the average would drop significantly. 

aj

If memory serves.....Marty Loving told me his minimum was like 2,700$. That was on bulls that have been on  feed and tested and what not. You can wrap up a lot of feed in a bull if you feed them to a year and a half or two years old.

Doc

aj said:
If memory serves.....Marty Loving told me his minimum was like 2,700$. That was on bulls that have been on  feed and tested and what not. You can wrap up a lot of feed in a bull if you feed them to a year and a half or two years old.
You're right. You can get a lot tied up in them, but to me the flip side is what are you going to do with them if they don't meet your minimum price ?? You take them to the yard and you sure aren't going to get $2,700 for them. To me if they are that close to average then I would be happy with a little over yard price. If they are above average then they should hold their own and at least bring your floor as long as you are realistic.
That's the problem with floors and a lot of people. They will say yea I would like to floor her. Her momma is a 1/2 sister to a division winner at NAILE 7 years ago and one like her just brought $10k at a sale last month so I'll floor her at $5k. Well, lots of times the heifer or bull is barely worth $.10 over yard price.

Medium Rare

aj said:

I thought he had a really nice sale. Watched from home and was quite impressed, but I don't think you can compare his sale to any other in the breed. Who is doing what he does? Is there a single other breeder efficiency testing? If I remember right, only 2 of his bulls even went to shorthorn breeders. That speaks volumes.

Steve123

shortybreeder said:
Steve123 said:

Mean and average are the same thing. I believe you meant Median.
I think the average really depends on whether you're liking at commercial operations or seedstock. Seedstock breeders should be spending more, but from what I've seen that doesn't always turn out to be the case.
I think the 5 calf rule is interesting when combining it with the increased value of 5 purebred calves of that age. I don't know many shorthorn breeders spending that kind of money on their herd bulls.

Correct.  That is my public school education showing. Sorry