prices not in ads.. really torques me off

Help Support Steer Planet:

marku

I am tired of ads without prices, won't pm back, response in ads say, ----call for price per ad.  ----  my response---post price in ad per forum. ----
eliminate these ads as this is just a joke.  honest people looking for honest cattle.  if you are looking to hook a sucker for 3 times the price then go for it.  maybe create a poor mans forum that has cattle for less than 3000 so that I can look to see what I can afford and get the $50K steers off of here.  Quit advertising the private treaty sales on the cattle for sale and put them in the private treaty session.  Also  USED equipment at NEW price.  what a great bargain that is.  maybe it was used on the $50K steers.  It is still USED.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Brilliant.png

rackranch

Yea, I've never understood why people post in the ''classifieds'' and don't put an asking price on their cattle.  Just doesn't make any since.  It is after all a classified.  Open up the newspaper, is it full of adds without a price?  No

It makes you think they are quoting different prices to different people...

On a side note, location would also be nice...

iowabeef

Jason posted on the top of the classified that everyone SHOULD post price and location but the only way to controll it is to watch the adds and remove the ones that don't include that if that is a priority....

Ms Ray

rackranch said:
Yea, I've never understood why people post in the ''classifieds'' and don't put an asking price on their cattle.  Just doesn't make any since.  It is after all a classified.  Open up the newspaper, is it full of adds without a price?  No

It makes you think they are quoting different prices to different people...

On a side note, location would also be nice...

It would be nice for a location to be in the title so you only need to look threw the ones that are in your area

Jacob B

That's kinda tough for me...I don't like putting a price on one.  I do offer cattle at different prices to different people.  If I know I can send one to a good home, or to people that I think can do a nice job on one, or even just a kid that is starting out and wants to have some fun with a little better quality animal, I can see giving them a better deal.  I would hate to put a price up and turn down a buyer and make them mad because I didn't have the chance to get to know them and find out more about what they where planning on doing with an animal that I am selling. If I don't know anything about you, I don't want to buy one from you or sell you one.  Don't you all try to do some homework on the cattle you spend your money on and the people that you do business with? After all that animal is still mine until I say it's sold.  Marty, you for one sounded like great people to do business with and mellissa sounds like a realy good young lady, I like doing business with folks like you.  I don't like just sending a calf with someone I don't know at all and just forgetting about her and never hearing about her ever again.  
I have a few friends localy that I know will do a whale of a job with cattle and they get a real good discount.  Some of my friends I can see just helping out there kids some time just because they have helped me out at times.  I don't always put prices on them for many reasons, those are just a few of them.  It matter to me where and who I sell my critters to.  I invest much more than just money into them and I want to see the new owners happy with what they get.  if I don't know you I can't always know that that will happen.

chambero

I dont really bother to put things in the classifieds, but I'd rather talk to someone to discuss price when I sell something.  Some people dont like for others to know what they pay for cattle - high or low.

iowabeef

It is amazing to me that in the show cattle world this is the "norm".....Imagine going to a car dealer and getting a different price for a mini-van because you have say 4 kids verses 2.

knabe

iowabeef said:
It is amazing to me that in the show cattle world this is the "norm".....Imagine going to a car dealer and getting a different price for a mini-van because you have say 4 kids verses 2.

how is that different than getting a tax credit the more kids you have?

people pay different prices at car dealers because they don't deal.

get rid of all subsidies and tax credits and let people negotiate.

with all the complaining about price, you would think there would be more places to purchase cattle with a predetermined price, but there isn't, so it must not be a problem.

one could always go to the livestock market and pay market price if it's such a big deal. 

mooch

But that wom't buy any $51 k steers!

GoWyo

mooch said:

But that wom't buy any $51 k steers!

But you might have bought that particular steer for a lot less the first time he came on the auction block.  Just didn't recognize it was a steal at $15K!!

mooch

I would have still had to have been subsidized at that bargain price. ::)

SouthWest

I agree with your dislike. But it also torques me the people that inquire for no reason what so ever.  Never having an intention of buying.  I also dislike when people will try to shop around and play 2 sellers against one another.  Some people like doing business on a personal level.  They still like the interaction of seeing, talking to a potential buyer.  It is their option.  We all have to respect each others views.  I believe everyone has the right to getting the most for thier calves since they take great pride in them.  The way the feel is best for them is their option.  

iowabeef

With a published price you would cut wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down on "people inquiring for no reason". :-\

Mueller Show Cattle

iowabeef said:
With a published price you would cut wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down on "people inquiring for no reason". :-\

I agree, When I sell calves and have money to buy more breeding stock, I shop around. I inquire to get a price and then I decide if it is worth the extra look. If I can get some show stock for market price, great and I jump all over it, not that is what I am expecting. With a price in the add, you are going to get more serious buyers. I get a little frustrated when a price is in in the add, cause that tells me if that cow/heifer is in my ballpark or not, other wise if I like it enough, I will ask for a price, if it is too high, I will not even answer back to negotiate as it is too far out of my range. If it is close to what I am willing to spend, then I will respond back. A price in the add will stop all that. If I am not even buying any cattle at this time and come across an add for a cow/heifer that has a price in it, which is a good buy to me, then I will inquire more other wise I don't cause I am just browsing but not looking seriously to buy anything.

jason

I have a nice update for the classifieds coming soon that will require location (doesn't have to be specific) and will have a field for contact info and price.  However, I can't force price to be required.  For everyone that is for having price be a requirement, I have another person against it.

Even if you required a price field, you will get $0 or OBO or $$$.

On tire kickers, that is just part of doing business.  They exist in all facets of selling.  If you want narrow it down, require calls only.

GONEWEST

marku said:
I am tired of ads without prices, won't pm back, response in ads say, ----call for price per ad.  ----  my response---post price in ad per forum. ----
eliminate these ads as this is just a joke.  honest people looking for honest cattle.  if you are looking to hook a sucker for 3 times the price then go for it.  maybe create a poor mans forum that has cattle for less than 3000 so that I can look to see what I can afford and get the $50K steers off of here.  Quit advertising the private treaty sales on the cattle for sale and put them in the private treaty session.  Also  USED equipment at NEW price.  what a great bargain that is.  maybe it was used on the $50K steers.  It is still USED.

I believe that people who don't have anything better to gripe about other than prices not being posted in an ad on an animal they have zero real interest in buying must have wonderful lives and be really caught up on things to do. I appreciate Jason supplying this forum for people to advertise. It doesn't matter to my customers if it torques you off that you don't know what they paid for a calf. What matters to them is that their business is their business and it's not yours. If they want you to know what they paid for an animal they can put up a billboard if it suits them. Otherwise it's none of your business. Period. Doesn't matter to them if they ever meet you. Doesn't matter to them if you ever recognize their calf. It doesn't matter to them if you understand it. It doesn't even  matter to me if it makes sense to me. What matters to me is what they want. It doesn't matter if they want them painted pink and green. If  I want to continue to sell to those people I will cater their wishes and not yours.

As far as it being a hassle to call, there has not been one occasion in which someone who was truly interested in actually writing a check for an animal that I advertised here wasn't also willing to punch ten numbers into a phone and have a conversation about the animal. If you think that's too much trouble, you're not interested, you're just curious.  There won't be any prices posted on my for sale animals on this or any other site. I won't PM you a price. If you're not interested enough in an animal to pick up a 6 oz phone and call, you're not interested enough to write a check. If it offends you that there are no prices on an ad, any ad, don't call.