Probems with Cidrs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rustynail

So I planted my cidrs last night, but any time the cow deficates the cidr falls out with the fecis.  I cannot continue to bring them into the corral and put them back.  Is there something I can do to make them stay in?

beefy

Rustynail said:
So I planted my cidrs last night, but any time the cow deficates the cidr falls out with the fecis.  I cannot continue to bring them into the corral and put them back.  Is there something I can do to make them stay in?
when you put the cidr in push cidr gun in til it hits the cevix then when you squeeze the handle turn the cidr gun 180 degrees and pull out. had the same problem 3 years ago that fixed it up

GLZ

How are they falling out?

Are you sure you are putting them in correctly?

All that you should be able to see is the piece of plastic wire.  It shouldnt be able to come out that easily.  

Cowboy

I won't try and make any assumptions here partner -- BUT, did you put the Cidr's n the Vagina -- or like it sounds -- Rectally?

The only way that Cidr will fall out when she deficates is if you put in the wrong hole?? I certainly hope for your sake that is not the case?

As mentioned, inserted correctly, the blue string will be bent DOWNWARDS, and will only show on cows meybe 1/2 it's length tops. I have cut some off of the hfrs, so as they don't chew on them after insertion and pull them out -- they get goofy at times.

I think we are all wondering about the placement -- updates that and certainly we can and will help you out!

Terry

kanshow

Assuming they are inserted correctly and in the right place - are you seeing them come out or are you just finding them?    We had an older cow that liked to chew on the strings and pull them out of her penmates.  ... We would find cidrs on the ground and have no idea until we saw the old bat doing it one day.  Could that be happening? 

oakbar

WE, too, had a heifer that would pull them out of the other heifers.  We just trimmed the blue string back so only an inch or so is sticking out and it seemed to solve the problem.  Be warned though if you trim them too close its easy to forget to pull one out if you're putting a whole group through the chute and giving them Lute at the same time.    I did it once.  I couldn't figure out why one heifer was not coming into heat and when we palpated her the CIDR was still there.  Boy, did I feel dumb!!

Rustynail

My son and mother actually found the one that were out and they said the found them in or near cow pies.  But I found the outlaw tonight.  One of my second calf heifer had one in her mouth out of another cow.  Needless to say she is now in isolation.  After rereading my original post I'm sure most thought I needed a little lesson on the north end of a south bound cow.  Luckily I do know the plumbing on cows.  Thank you for the help.  Have many of you had a cow the was a cidr nibbler?

Latest posts