Problem with getting steer's manure to "solid up"

Help Support Steer Planet:

rasor club calves

I have two steers one is roughly 1000 lbs and the other 1150 lbs. Both are on close to 20 lbs of regular show mix. I have been having a problem with both getting the runs or "sh!ts". They are in separete pens too and can go out into paddocks as pleased. There manure is regular color but just inst solid. Any help is appreciated.

Simmgal

When that happens to mine, I do a combination of things:
1. Back off of feed if I have just increased their ration.
2. Feed timothy hay (or any other coarse "rumen tickler" types).
3. Full tank.
4. Not worry too much unless they are appearing to be sick or are losing weight.

Each situation is different, but I would try a coarser hay or back off of feed if you have just increased/changed ration first.

Boot Jack Bulls

Simmgal said:
When that happens to mine, I do a combination of things:
1. Back off of feed if I have just increased their ration.
2. Feed timothy hay (or any other coarse "rumen tickler" types).
3. Full tank.
4. Not worry too much unless they are appearing to be sick or are losing weight.

Each situation is different, but I would try a coarser hay or back off of feed if you have just increased/changed ration first.

I would suggest the same things, but shredded beet pulp can be a cheaper alternative to Full tank. Also, a dose of oral probiotics can help re-balance a lot of minor stomach issues.

oldwood

It wouldnt hurt to give them each a dose of probias, helps the guts get back in shape, works for us.

Latest posts