Problem with Sullivan's Fan

Help Support Steer Planet:

estspx

I have a Sullivan's turbo fan in my barn approximately 3 years old.  For some reason it the blades will not turn when I flip the switch.  If I turn the switch on and off 3 times very fast, it will get going but turn  counter clockwise (the wrong way).  The only way to get it going clockwise is to insert a stick thru the fan cage, get the blades spinning clockwise then turn on the motor.  I've taken it down, cleaned it and oiled the shaft but have not been able to fix it.  Any ideas?

AAOK

Have you plugged it in at a different locatio?. You have a polarity problem, but why?  If it does the same thing when plugged in somewhere else, call Sullivan's.

JMRCattleCo

There is a start capacitor that helps with the start up when turned on....if it goes bad you have to spin the blades to get it started. Just replace it....

AJCattle

Had the same issue a week ago, starting slow then truning the wrong direction. Just take the motor off and have it rebuilt $70 or buy a new motor

peachy

The capacitor is on the side of the motor. Take the cover off and there should be two wires connected to it. Be careful it can hold a charge!!! If it looks like it is swelled up it is probably bad.If this doesnt fix it the motor is probably junk.

C

cedarcurve

I had to break out my old show fans from 6 years ago-- haven't been turned on since..

4 of the 6 died on me in this heat, and i ended up buying new ones.

junk motors, can't last forever- and it's cheaper to buy new fans, than it is to repair old ones--- not to mention safer.

Ohio1

I havent had one problem with any of my 3 Sullivan fans and they run 24/7 from April to august

GONEWEST

The problem is in the start capacitor like was mentioned above. It's easy to change out, just plugs in. However, it isn't easy to find one ANYWHERE like the one that is in it. If you do, please let me know! We have a company here that builds electric motors from the size of your hand to the size of your pick up. They couldn't find even  one like the one in my old Sullivan fan. If you do find one that works, please let me know  :)

Glorifying Pastures

Try your local heating and cooling shop. They should have one. The start capacitors are used on your furnace blower motors also. If they don't have one in stock they can probably order one. They are pretty cost effective, should range around the $10- $15 mark. 

GONEWEST

Glorifying Pastures said:
Try your local heating and cooling shop. They should have one. The start capacitors are used on your furnace blower motors also. If they don't have one in stock they can probably order one. They are pretty cost effective, should range around the $10- $15 mark.   

Thanks, seems logical. Like I said, you find one, you let me know..................................