Problems feeding Glu Coat?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Newton

I have a salty dog steer that needs more fat so i desided to try Glu Coat. He wil not eat it AT ALL. I started feeding him 2 ounces per feeding mixed good and if he smells it he turns his nose and wont eat at all. Hes gone a whole day without eating his grain cause it had glu coat on it

anybody that has used glu coat or has had this problem know what i could do to make him want to eat it? Thanks

Steer4Caddy

Had same problem.  Tried it on 3 different ones.  Wont eat it.  Try Power Fuel from Purina.  It is a fat nugget.  Also may try Heavy Weight from them.  They don't eat it as good but after they get on it, some seem to like it.

vc

If you need fat use Stabilized Rice Bran, start at 1/2 pound a feeding and slowly up it to 1 pound a feeding, good for the hair, lays down a nice layer of fat, and is easy on the guts.
We only used the glu-coat one season and had no problems with it, so I can't help you there.

GoWyo

If you can get them to eat some molasses then they will usually eat Glu-Coat since that is about 47% of what Glu-Coat is.  Molasses and stabilized rice bran will get you further than Glu-Coat at a lot less cost -- will be like people eating donuts as far as putting condition on them.  Might add some Appetite Express and Rumensin to the ration at recommended doses to keep things perking along in their guts.

Newton

thanks for the info, it stinks that i paid $99 and ive only used like 8 ounces AT MOST  :mad: and of course our heifer likes it but almost needs the opposite lol

GoWyo

Newton said:
thanks for the info, it stinks that i paid $99 and ive only used like 8 ounces AT MOST  :mad: and of course our heifer likes it but almost needs the opposite lol

It will keep and steer will eventually decide he likes it.  The jug and pump is great.  After we ran ours out, I just put liquid molasses in it and cut it with about one-half water so it would go through the pumper. 

I have always had trouble getting steers to eat Golden Flo.  Vegetable oil works better, but stabilized rice bran is probably the best.

HF CHARS

you could always drench him with it,,,we did that one year with a harder doing one ,drenched him at noon everyday ,,its a commitment everyday,but the results were worth it for us

vc

Natural Glo® Stabilized Rice Bran
Their web site says these locations, I would give them a call and see if they carry this product. Most places that sale feed for horses will carry Stabilized Rice Bran, and you want to make sure it is stabilized not just rice bran.

RURAL KING
7611 OLD TROY PIKE
HUBER HEIGHTS, OH 45424

Tractor Supply Co.
7355 SALEM AVENUE
CLAYTON, OH 45315

Tractor Supply Co.
610 ORCHARD LANE
DAYTON, OH 45434

ROWE FEED & FARM SUPPLY
481 W MAIN
NEW LEBANON, OH 45345

Wise Acres Farm
8633 Flick Road
Tipp City, OH 45371

RAISCH FARM SUPPLY
2500 DAYTON PIKE
GERMANTOWN, OH 45327

Newton

thank you for the info ;D this helps me out a lot thank you again i live close to huber, hopefully this will work better then glu coat

wonderchic

I hate to hear you are having trouble with Glu Coat.  This is our first year of trying it and our steer took to it like a duck to water!  He tries to lick it out of the cup when I am pouring it on his feed!  Now what I can't attest to is the results.  I can't really tell if it is doing anything for him.  I hope you find something that works for your steer!
Good Luck :) :) :)

We are also using Power Fuel... too much? But our guy really needs the cover.

And to the guy trying to find Rice Bran... look in the horse section of TSC...it is there...I'm in Ohio too and that isn't too hard to find :)

rackranch

This is what I do except I do it after dinner every night. All liquid fats get drenched with the blue drench gun.  They get it all and no off feed problems . G-Luck

HF CHARS said:
you could always drench him with it,,,we did that one year with a harder doing one ,drenched him at noon everyday ,,its a commitment everyday,but the results were worth it for us

twc77

Newton said:
anyone know where close to dayton ohio i could get stabilized rice bran?
Buckley Brothers in wilmington,not sure if their package stores carry it but they can order it for you Also a good mill/elevator east of troy in russia that should carry it cant remember offhand the name.