product review

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

lets hear some reviews on some products. like SWAT, "it's gone" KEEP UM SOUND, Sullivan's Sun-Guard Sunscreen , Sole Paint, Vita ferm sure champ, ect

Jill

Hated the new fogger, returned it!  I use my fogger primarily for dying cattle and the new one doesn't come with a finger hole to shut off the spray making it totally useless to me. JMO

showcattlegal

I love my new fogger. It's easier to use with out having to cover the hole on the top. I bought SWAT but on the can it said not use near or on animals so i thought it was pointless

pigguy

showcattlegal said:
I love my new fogger. It's easier to use with out having to cover the hole on the top. I bought SWAT but on the can it said not use near or on animals so i thought it was pointless
are you serious? that is dumb in the catolge it said the first fly spray that wont break down adhesives.

Show Heifer

From what I hear, Grow and Shine works great the last 45 days before a show.....but that it "messes up" heifers and if fed to long, will only hurt hair growth on older cattle.....I haven't used it due to these concerns, but a neighbor of mine uses it, and claims if used on small heifers (prospects) they either breed really late, or just don't breed!

chambero

There is some scientific basis for melatonin products working for hair growth.  I believe the rationale is that natural melatonin levels are affected by day/night length and by supplementing it you are making the animals body think it is dark longer outside which is the primary trigger for hair growth.  I've known more people to have success with melatonin implants because of the more direct route than having to get it through the digestive system.

I'm pretty wary of most supplements that aren't developed by the big ag companies.  I consider most to be in the snake oil category.  We feed liquid fat supplements, some extra mineral, and Show Bloom just because we always have. 

I don't believe its physically possible to feed an animal something to make it "sounder" as long as they get a decent feed product anyway (which 99.99% of all show cattle get from their basic feed). 

DLD

I've tried the melatonin, and I'm still not sure whether or not it does much good. I will say that I believe the melatonin pills we got at Wal-Mart did every bit as much good as the higher dollar supplements. (And no, I've never used it on heifers)

I also agree that no supplement is going to change a calf's structure. The vitamins and minerals found in those supplements might help free some of them up a bit, but if it does you should know that nutrition was inadequate to begin with. Some show feeds have that, some don't. We have our own feed custom mixed, and we top dress with Fast Forward #1  show mineral.

shortyjock89

I didn't know that Melatonin could adversely affect heifers, and I used it on a heifer last year.  It did help with hair growth and her attitude.  I bought the pills from Wal Mart.  She bred the first time and calved unassisted...too bad the calf was born dead.  I don't believe it had anything to do with the Melatonin though.  I probably won't use Melatonin this year since we don't have any steers, but it has worked for me.

knabe

found this on melatonin and grazing behavior

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4035/is_200606/ai_n17171860/pg_7

pigguy

well good thing someone said something about the grow and shine, because i was planning on using it on some heifers, will shag do that also??? where can you get Fast Forward #1  show mineral.
I am thinking about getting Sullivan's new Express Fogger since i dont dye a whole bunch, and when i do i will have the old fogger around (if i can find it ;D)  i really like melatonin for calming the calves down. how do you give melatonin implants

DLD

Anywhere that sells Fast Forward show feeds, or any Moormans or Tindle or other ADM product should have or easily be able to get the Fast Forward #1 mineral for you.

I really don't know about the effects of melatonin on show heifers, I've just always been a little leery of trying it.

Just personal preference, I guess, but we dye with a spray bottle. Yes, it does take a little longer, but it seems to produce more uniform coverage with less overspray (mess) than a fogger bottle.

xkrushx

We use Grow N Shine on all our showcalves, heifers or not, from the first of june through the end of august and have never had trouble at all. Could be our luck but the calves have great hair that you can really notice about mid-july. Never had any breeding issues either...

cowz

My favorite new (& not so new) products are Sullivan's "ITs Gone" and Vitaferm Sure Champ pellets.

Latest posts