Propane vs beef

Help Support Steer Planet:

BTDT

Just thinking out loud:

If the gov't is stepping in on the private propane industry to lower the prices, when will the gov't step in to lower beef prices? 
What EXACTLY is the gov't roll in manipulating prices in private industry?

(Seems this will be right up Chambro's and Telo's alley!)

Telos

BTDT said:
Just thinking out loud:

If the gov't is stepping in on the private propane industry to lower the prices, when will the gov't step in to lower beef prices? 
What EXACTLY is the gov't roll in manipulating prices in private industry?

(Seems this will be right up Chambro's and Telo's alley!)

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to propane. The regulation of gas pricing is't up my alley, BTDT.

To heck with the gov't... BTDT, you should get all those poor freezing folks and bring them up to your house... I know you'll take care of them and keep them warm. Then, maybe they can cook you that perfect steak dinner that was so popular in the 60's and 70's. You remember, the kind with all the buttered mashed potatoes and biscuits with honey you could eat. <cowboy>

To my knowledge they have always stepped in to help keep ranchers and farmers from going broke. They even help subsidize the airline industry so one could fly to be at the NWSS. Not only that, but you can fly there and feel reasonably safe.

Limiman12

I am going to get torched for saying this.....  But to play devils advocate....

Has government programs been good for the overall ag INDUSTRY?    Removing risk has led to loss of diversification and the big getting bigger.  Used to be a motivated kid could work his tail off and make it by taking on marginal ground, being willing to have forty cows, feed the calves out and feed out a couple hundred pigs a year.  When grain was bad, livestock carried you, when grain was good, livestock wasn't as much....  But you lessened risk by staying diversified. IMO government programs have led to fewer people owning more ground and fewer people being able to make a living off the land.  The lack of (comparative risk) to what it used to be has like in all other types of business led to consolidation of control and profit.  Now to lessen risk you depend on government subsidy and government subsidized crop insurance.

I know I am talking to mostly livestock producers here, that are still a LITTLE bit diversified at least, but think about how it used to be compared to now.  The land owners are getting older, and there are not many younger guys coming on, and a lot of the guys that own the land don't have sons that farm, because they didn't want to stay on the farm.    I see this as a very REAL problem in agriculture caused in part by government interference in risk mitigation.  The phrase "too big to let fail" may not be far away from the ag industry when you look at consolidation of swine production, packing plants, and the trend of land stewards.....

chambero

I guess I'm unaware of what's going on with propane?  It's show season in my part of the world.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Sounds like this is bronco bamas fault. What now even the poors will get propane. It's just not right.
That guy needs to chill out, he gets yall all riled up once a week.

ejoe326

LP is 5.25 as of 5 PM last night in our part of the world.

Our LP guy said he needs a bodyguard. 

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
What part of Denver were you in Telos , a few years ago we were there had two vehicles broke into, one right in front door of Teddy's with two guards some where in a half a hour period....
Since then they have invited queers and pot heads to have headquarters in Colorado, there are still good states in the mid section and Fort Worth has lot better weather than Denver .....

Telos

Freddy said:
What part of Denver were you in Telos , a few years ago we were there had two vehicles broke into, one right in front door of Teddy's with two guards some where in a half a hour period....
Since then they have invited queers and pot heads to have headquarters in Colorado, there are still good states in the mid section and Fort Worth has lot better weather than Denver .....

That's funny!

Actually I was talking about Gov't subsidizing Airlines in concert with the FAA. It was regarding traveling safely from destinations. I should have been more clear.

MCC

Freddy said:

Well Freddy, sorry you had such a bad time in Denver. BUT I will tell you about going to a CU - Nebraska football game.

If you had Co. plates on your vehicle you better take them off before you leave your car because if you didn't when you came back it was trashed!
Worst fans outside Raiders fans I have EVER seen!

Will

We have a lot of poultry producers in our area.  In a weeks time propane went from $1.80 to over $5.00.  Enegry cost are the most limiting factor of whether or not a poultry farmer makes a profit.  Some producers cannot even get propane so they are losing flocks of birds.  If the companies compensated the growers for the added energy cost chicken nuggets would triple in cost to the consumer.  Our government has always found a way to keep our food prices cheap so the masses can afford to spend on other things.  To a certain degree our economy is built on cheap food. 

KAD Genetics

No propane in south west ohio ether can't get more than 50gal at a time don't know what people going to do still have good bit of winter to go. anyone heard the reason? Buddy told me they shipped a lot overseas

peachy

This is what the company I work for is telling customers.

Several factors are playing a role this year. The Midwest had a very large, wet and late grain drying season from which inventories never had the chance to rebuild before our early winter. Winter has not been kind to us. Several "polar vortexes" have led to increased usage of up to 20% for the average homeowner. Because of limited supply of propane and allocation at our local terminals, we are forced to wait for product to be hauled from terminals as far away as Kansas and Mississippi, plus experiencing excessive wait times of 12+ hours to be loaded. The U.S. is a now a net exporter of propane. That means that we are sending more product overseas than what we are keeping here. All of these things have led to the crisis we are facing today. Please keep in mind that this is NOT just a central Illinois problem, but is spread across the entire country and propane industry.

Auburnviewfarms

mean while i shall just throw another log on the fire and and wait for this polar vortex to retreat.  <beer>

obie105

peachy said:
This is what the company I work for is telling customers.

Several factors are playing a role this year. The Midwest had a very large, wet and late grain drying season from which inventories never had the chance to rebuild before our early winter. Winter has not been kind to us. Several "polar vortexes" have led to increased usage of up to 20% for the average homeowner. Because of limited supply of propane and allocation at our local terminals, we are forced to wait for product to be hauled from terminals as far away as Kansas and Mississippi, plus experiencing excessive wait times of 12+ hours to be loaded. The U.S. is a now a net exporter of propane. That means that we are sending more product
overseas than what we are keeping here. All of these things have led to the crisis we are facing today. Please keep in mind that this is NOT just a central Illinois problem, but is spread across the entire country and propane industry.

Very true! I have a friend that hauls propane for a living. We are in Illinois and he made 4 trips last week to Mississippi and the week before he was hauling from Arizona and Kansas back up here. The shortage is not a new problem tho. Two winters ago he was hauling from Illinois to New York and Pennsylvania. Last winter he was hauling to Michigan all winter. Now this winter it's home.

ferkj

Will said:
We have a lot of poultry producers in our area.  In a weeks time propane went from $1.80 to over $5.00.  Enegry cost are the most limiting factor of whether or not a poultry farmer makes a profit.  Some producers cannot even get propane so they are losing flocks of birds.  If the companies compensated the growers for the added energy cost chicken nuggets would triple in cost to the consumer.  Our government has always found a way to keep our food prices cheap so the masses can afford to spend on other things.  To a certain degree our economy is built on cheap food.

This is what keeps the government in power and a stable society.  Look back through history and the one common thread to every revolution was hungry masses.  "The peasants have no bread? Then let them eat cake".  Famous last words of a headless queen.