Prospect steer opinon

Help Support Steer Planet:

have a really nice 3/4 maine steer here at the farm. He just started blooming out and looking real good, he was born in March, he's never been up at the barn under fans or anything. My question is do you guys think I would be able to get him looking like a winner by December? ( I don't have a cooler, but I can work really hard at washing combing and blowing ) Just wanting some opinons. Also, what would be some of the best topdresses to help me out?

Thanks.

No, but I know what a good calf looks like and this guy could be a winner; just needing to know what I can do to make it.

BCCC

Yeah it is absolutely possibly to get him looking good by December, I probally wont get my calves until the first of November and I will have plenty of time to get them look good by the middle of December and I dont have a cooler either, and these are calves that aren't halter broke or anything.

BCCC

its going to be winter I wouldnt worry about feeding a hair top dress now but when you do need go with Sunglo Epic, its great and can be feed to bred heifers I have found that out

showsteerdlux

Shag is nice but boy is it expensive. I personally had good luck with adding cotton seed meal and the calf gained alot of hair. Just wash him all you can and keep him in the darkest spot possible. Also do you have fans? If so keep him under them 24/7 unless its below say 40 degrees is what we go by.

BCCC

I am not trying to push the epic on you, but We have feed both Shag and Epic to calves with the same genetics, and the calf on epic had better results, faster then the one on shag

shortyjock89

We have good luck feeding just good ol soaked beet pulp, we grew a TON of hair this summer (and most summers) without a cooler.

CPL

The best thing going for you is winter. It seems like even my heifer that slicks off in the summer will have clubby hair in the winter. Good luck.

Yes, I have fans, etc. We won the National Maine-Anjou prospect steer show back in 2005; but I've just been out of it for a while. Wanting to kind of get back into the game.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. Keep on giving advice please!

Jill

You should be fine, if I remember right your are in Indiana so you should be getting nice cold weather here pretty soon.  I would not top dress with anything during the winter, you want that calf eating as much as you can at this point and your winter hair will come in anyway, just work with it and keep it conditioned. 
Good luck to you.

RSC

Garriott Ranch said:
have a really nice 3/4 maine steer here at the farm. He just started blooming out and looking real good, he was born in March, he's never been up at the barn under fans or anything. My question is do you guys think I would be able to get him looking like a winner by December? ( I don't have a cooler, but I can work really hard at washing combing and blowing ) Just wanting some opinons. Also, what would be some of the best topdresses to help me out?

Thanks.

Yes it can be done.  I've fed Grow N Shine last year and used Shag this year.  Very satisfied with both.  Both are not cheap but for the little extra cost and more things added, I felt shag helped in several ways.  I am very interested in trying Epic next year from what I've heard.

You may not need the additives this time of year, just keep the hair clean, trained and conditioned.  Refer to the mixing Kleen Sheen thread at the top of this Forum, some great ideas.

RSC

inthebarnagain said:
Thought goats were your thing now? 

Yep. We're down to a lonely 45 cows now and have about 70 head of goats. I've been putting some miles on the truck lately and have three friends that are helping me show and take care of the farm. Two of them really wanted to try the steer thing so thats what we're trying to do; along with showing 10 head of goats just about every other weekend. I'm going to try to go to the maine junior nationals if he looks any good. He's about one of the best show prospects we've had here in a long time.

doubled

We always used grow n shine and loved it, along with an air conditioner, we had a steer with serious attitude and that grow n shine really helped his attitude too,
took the edge off of him, not quite so crazy.  We fed 1/4 cup of it twice a day, expensive but we only used it on one or two of our main show head.
Never tried shag.

inthebarnagain

Garriott Ranch said:
inthebarnagain said:
Thought goats were your thing now? 

Yep. We're down to a lonely 45 cows now and have about 70 head of goats. I've been putting some miles on the truck lately and have three friends that are helping me show and take care of the farm. Two of them really wanted to try the steer thing so thats what we're trying to do; along with showing 10 head of goats just about every other weekend. I'm going to try to go to the maine junior nationals if he looks any good. He's about one of the best show prospects we've had here in a long time.

Crede,

Your calves have never had problems NOT having hair.  I hope he is a good one, will be fun for another one that someone has paid oodles of money for to bite the dust at the fair.  ;D