Proud

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondS

I weaned my handful of calves on Monday and was pleased.  My March steers averaged 652 lbs and the March heifers averaged 586 lbs.  All but one of them weaned off over 52% of their mother's weight including first calf heifers!  YAY!!!

CAB

<party> (clapping),Congrats, those are great #s. What is the breeding of the cattle. You must have a great set of cows!!

DiamondS

Thanks all.  I just finally got back to the internet.  The cows are just good ole fashioned Angus/Hereford cross cows.  I have posted a few pics here and there of them.  I have a Sugar Loaf Direct Hit daughter that throws a smokin calf for me every year.  The majority of them are out of my Horned bull we call Lucifer.  He's probably the thickest Hereford bull I've ever seen. 

The calves are sired by a Maine/Angus cross bull that was bred by Clayton Frye.  I have two heifers that I kept.  One is pretty dang good and it'll be fun to see what she can do in the future. 

I sold the steers last Friday and took a huge hit on my OCC Homer calf because he had " A big belly".....  I was furious and let the barn owner know what I thought.....  I sold one calf as a show steer so it'll be fun to see how he does.

Aussie

Used a bit of Direct Hit myself a few years ago and was very happy with the calves. Stopped till he was clear now expecting calves from him in March.

Show Heifer

DiamondS said:
Thanks all.  I just finally got back to the internet.  The cows are just good ole fashioned Angus/Hereford cross cows.  I have posted a few pics here and there of them.  I have a Sugar Loaf Direct Hit daughter that throws a smokin calf for me every year.  The majority of them are out of my Horned bull we call Lucifer.  He's probably the thickest Hereford bull I've ever seen. 

The calves are sired by a Maine/Angus cross bull that was bred by Clayton Frye.  I have two heifers that I kept.  One is pretty dang good and it'll be fun to see what she can do in the future. 

I sold the steers last Friday and took a huge hit on my OCC Homer calf because he had " A big belly".....  I was furious and let the barn owner know what I thought.....  I sold one calf as a show steer so it'll be fun to see how he does.

Did you creep feed? I know of many places that do, especially show herds. If you don't mind me asking, what did your calves bring? I know different parts of the country are different, just curious.
I know how you feel about OCC stuff being "too angus-y".  That is why I have always said that feeder calf buyers do not want short, "big bellied", type of calves. And that includes many of the "clubbie bulls". 

Latest posts