pulled cdirs

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

we just got done pulling them....at approximately 630pm.....this is my first time using them....so what can i expect....time wise....do i need to get up and check them every couple hours tonight? or do i have some time....we also put those heat detectors on their tailheads....any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance...

Doc

You usually have 36-48 hrs before you see the 1st heat, at least that's been my experience. Cowboy can help more.

Bawndoh

If you pull them at 6:30 pm, they should come in at 6:30 am a couple days later.  Unless you didnt give them a shot of anything, then I think they just come into heat after a couple days or so.

Cowboy

No need to worry about anything tonight, and most likely not even all day tomorrow. By pulling them at night however, you have set your self up for watching heats after dark 2 days from now!!! I never do that -- I want to see the majority of the cows in heat during the daytime -- from morning on thru out the day.

Most of the cows, like the others have said -- will cycle 36-48 hours -- that will be your big time of early activity -- most of it pre-estrous in nature. The big explosion will be when they hit, at about 40-48 hours -- the vast majority will be stainding all at once.

Be advised -- some will go longer and come in late --- a few will or could come in by say 30 hours, but not too many. You will most likely be breeding the biggest group in the morning 60-66 hours after you pulled Cidrs and gave prostoglandin -- you DID give the shot right??

If NOT, then you will have heats all over the place for the next two weeks. Not always the best there!

Been doing paperwork tonight, more of it at least, since it rained all day -- I was sentenced to office duty! ICK ICK ICK

At least one person I know will be happy about that I am sure.

Best of luck - have to go breed a donor in the rain -- ohhhh sooo much fun at times!

Smile all - it is ALMOST spring -- although it sure is trying not to be -- 42 degrees and windy - rainy! Can we say MUD?

Terry

CAB

I always pull my cidrs on Thursday evening. You will need to watch Sat morning for a little bit then Sat evening you may have a couple that will stand, but by and large the majority will be active on Sunday. By Monday night you will be pretty much done. I would shoot and time breed anything that has not stood by Monday morning. We are all wondering, did you give a shot of Lute or estrumate @ the time that you pulled your cidrs? Good Luck.

linnettejane

yes, my ai guy gave them a shot of something....ill have to ask him when he comes back out what it was....in fact, he gave them a shot of something when he put them in also....he's pretty new at using cdirs also....this is probably only his 3rd or 4th time....my first time....so im really nervous about the whole thing...in fact, none of these cows i have now have ever been ai'd before....its been a while since ive had any ai'ing done....about 7 years....i feel like im totally out of it, so much has changed...lol.....thanks for the info about pulling them at night...ill tell him about it...actually thanks for all the advice...

CAB

You'll be fine. Your tech sounds like he knows what he's doing. Should give a shot of GnRH when he put the cidrs in, shot of lute or estrumate when he pulls the cidrs, then I hope that you are going to breed off heat detection for 72-84 hours and after that anything that hasn't showed signs of heat could be bred and given another shot of GnRH @ the time of insemination. You should pick up half of those cows that did not show heat.

fluffer

Does anyone see a differnce in conception rates with certain bulls when you sync or time breed?  We have some AI bull that work better then others.  Kinda wierd!

Fluffer

linnettejane

ohhhh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  this is pure madness!!!!!!!  :eek:  last night around 10pm nothing....this morning at 530am everything is riding everything!!!!!!!!  its crazy out there!!!!  and our poor clean up bull in the barn is about to go a-wall!!!!!!    :eek:

CAB

Make sure that you are getting good reads as to what's going on exactly. It helps us to pull cows once we are sure which cow is standing hard FOR SURE. You're heaviest activity should be tonight and Sunday morning. Just be very sure which cows are standing hard. There will be a lot of activity. If you can pull the cows out that are standing. This also will help bring out the cows on the lower end of the pecking order. Good Luck. Cab

linnettejane

thanks for the pointer...i think ill do that....at 810am had 1st standing heat....

update on the poor cleanup bull....he busted out of his stall, jumped right over the gate....luckily we had a board fence lot around the barn, so that held him till my husband could get a halter on him....he's tied up now....guess we are going to have to leave him that way for a couple days till things die down....

on a side note....how long do you think we should wait before we turn him out after ai'ing?