pulling calf to early?

Help Support Steer Planet:

McM93

I have a club calf background therefore my view is skewed somewhat. Pull a little early and the heifer (at least I hope this is the situation, it still embarrasses me to pull a normal presentation calf out of a cow, will likely have some trouble releasing the placenta. Pull to late, a year's work down the drain....

muleman

i ended up pulling it. This cow has had several 100 pounders. I was concerned because the amniobic fluid was yellowish not the normal grayish color. It appears that she cleaned out  overnight, there is just some stringy yellowish mucus left. Everything seems to be ok. Why was it yellowish? Any ideas?? Thanks

Earthmover

It was that color because the calf was in distress in the womb. General rule of thumb we use here is wait no more than two hours after the sack emerges. That is if feet are showing or not. Make sure the calf gets enough colostrm, it may have been stressed enough to not take in enough through thru nursing.

KSanburg

And 24 hours later give her a dose of Lutalyse just to make sure she cleans good. Also will bring her back in on a normal cycle. JMO

RyanChandler

If they're down and will let you get behind em you better get with it.   Ive watched em labor for 6-7+ hrs but I don't think that's best.  I lost one this past yr waiting till my then 3hr mark.  2 Hr is the new mark for me.  But like I said, if the cow doesn't quit her contractions and get up when you walk up behind her, you better roll up the sleeves and start pullin..

chambero

My rule on heifer is 1 hr no progress I pull.  2-3 hrs total is as long as I give them nowadays.  If they are in full labor an hour or two and nothing is showing its time to go fishing.

jbzdad

yep to chambero... a feel will tell you leg back, tail presentation,, breech etc... if you know this when the calf is alive it  helps deliver a live calf.. better to take a difficult pull to the vet than tear something up

vet tech

Did not know that about the yellow fluid....had one this year like that but the calf was fine. I wait no more than 2 hours. If she has a club calf in her i waste no time. Howeever, i do feel that sometimes the cow's birth canal is not dilated enough and i pull prematurely. better than a dead calf though...