PURPLE BOUND SHOW FEED

Help Support Steer Planet:

Carlson Cattle

I was looking at this feed and i was wondering if you could just feed this streight without any corn or sybean oil or what do you have to feed with this?

Thanks

obie105

It is a complete feed everything is in it or atleast that is what my feed guy told me. I was turned off some after hearing the price tag. Where I am located it is $19 a bag. Somebody else on here might be able to give you more info. I was told by many people it is some very good stuff but I couldnt get by the price.

Carlson Cattle

around here its 20 bucks a bag. I am now spending 600 bucks on my show feed im using now though. that is for a ton so im not sure how it will even out in the end. Around here people are feeding more protien and corn with it thats why i asked

obie105

If my math serves me right your feed works out to $15 a bag. What are your currently feeding? If you are getting a custom mixed ration your elevator should be able to tell you if its balanced for what you are doing with it.

Carlson Cattle

yeah im getting it from a speical feed store. Im feeding Show blender, beet pulp, cotton seed hulls,barley, soy oil, cattle mixer 4000 R, and cracked corn

obie105

It sounds like it has all the right things in it. Do you know by chance what percent protein and fat are in it? If not that is something to ask about. Also do you know how much of each ingredient are in it?

Carlson Cattle

This is by Qty
Show blender- 400
Beet Pulp- 80
Cotton seed hulls- 80
Barley- 100
Cattle mixer 4000 R- 40
Cracked corn- 23.13

AAOK

What kind of a place mixes 723.13 pounds?  That's crazy!

I think the best thing you could do is buy a Ton of a popular, name brand complete feed Finishing Ration. Feed 3% of body weight per head daily for 3 months, then analyze your progress. I'll bet your calves will have greatly improved! Just don't change anything........

Carlson Cattle

its weird im not sure what the bill ment. its just said qty and under that is what the numbers were. whould you suggest go with the purple bound and just feed that streight?

obie105

I also find the quanity odd. I guess to answer your question about feeding purple bound is how much do you want to spend on feed? There are other options for complete feeds or take a look at Aaok ration. It is a good feed I will not deny that but depending on how many you have to feed you need to look at all your options.

Carlson Cattle

is the AAOK ration?

1200 lbs Cracked corn
400 lbs cotton seed hulls
200 lbs Whole oats
100 lbs soy bean meal
100 lbs molasses

is this the ration?
Thanks

obie105

I know you are a younger guy so why dont you ask your parents how much they want to spend on feed and call around for prices. Purple bound is good but when your bill is going to jump $200 a ton you need to weigh it all out. Talk to a feed guy or someone trusted in your area. There are many better cost efficient oprions out there. If money is not an option or your feeding 1 head your options are opened up more. 3% of there body weight

crown33

I think he meant by corn as 23.13 bushels. So it would be around 1300 pound of corn then. So the total ration should be around a ton then.

vc

To change feed it would cost you a $2.50 per head, per day, or about $400 (based off of 160 days more) a head more to feed the calves out. Depending on how many calves you are feeding it could add up fast.