Putting up grain bins

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We are having a 100,000 bu grain bin put up this week. Thought someone would like to see pictures are it goes up.

Red

Attachments

• 100_1395.jpg
    100_1395.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_1397.jpg
    100_1397.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1398.jpg
    100_1398.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 355

knabe

red, are the bolts self tightening? ;D

that is an awesome bin.  where's the railroad spur?  will you have forced air or anything like that?

how old is/are the silage towers, and if they are the glass lined one's, how are they holding up?

make sure you put $2.00 corn in it to sell when it's $5.50.  wheat is through the roof?  if you do that, you can buy your own railroad.  i think there is only 7 grain distribution or handling or something

Grain trading, storage, processing and milling is also dominated by a few big companies. Three or four companies control 60 percent of the terminal grain-handling facilities, 61 percent of the flour milling, 81 percent of the maize exports and 49 percent of the ethanol production in the United States.

also found this

The United States of America, plaintiff, acting under the direction of the Attorney General, brings this civil action to enjoin defendant Cargill, Incorporated (Cargill), the second largest grain trader in North America, from acquiring the competing worldwide commodity marketing business of defendant Continental Grain Company (Continental), until recently the third largest grain trader in North America. If the acquisition is permitted to proceed, it will substantially lessen competition for grain purchasing services to farmers in a number of areas in the United States in violation of section 7 of the Clayton Act, 15 U.S.C. § 18. Unless the acquisition is enjoined, many American farmers likely will receive lower prices for their grain and oilseed crops, including corn, soybeans, and wheat (which sometimes are collectively referred to as "grain" in this Complaint).

so, with grains finally having competition (from a non-food source-ethanol etc), artifially held low with subsidies from the government per trade agreements to stablize foodstuffs so they don't show up in inflation and so they can focus on inflationary prices of labor and rationalize outsourcing to remove layers of jobs at the local level and concentrate them in world players, grain can now provide a profit to farmers as supply is tightened.

before i typed post, i thought of this picture as a giant round feed trough, with the poopers (of the cattle) in the center, taking away waste to a covered processing pond to capture methane to burn to aerate the storage bin, the house, the town............

nice pics red

red

We haul the grain out by semi for not sure about the rail road?
Haven't seen them tighten the bolts yet but know they used to be not. That was one hot job!
We built the tower ourselves. It's about 10 years old.

Red

red

day 2

Knabe- I misread the post on the silage towers. Yes, they're glass lined. Probalby at least 25 years old. Don't use them much except to store wet corn. Holding up real well execpt for unloading conveyor.

Red

knabe

ditto on the unloading bin.  the one's at school had the same problem.  acid was hell.  we cleaned it and sprayed it with something after each use, probably a buffer to balance the ph.  cant' wait to see that silo lift out of the ground.

rtnok

One year we put up two bins in aug. we had to wear gloves and dark sunglasses the sun turned my hair white shure wish i had that hair back.lol  That was when i was 16. But i shure had a nice tan.

red

about 1/2 way there!
Starting to put second set of jacks on. If anyone in Ohio wants a grain bin crew, these guys are the nicest!

Red

frostback

Thanks for the photos they are interesting. Never knew how that was done. In keeping with the topic what is a bushel of grain comparable to?

red

not sure what you're meaning?
A bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds.
Corn right now on the CBOT is trading for $4.09/bu
Hope this helps.

Red

red

done!
Except for the inside work & some finishing toches that we'll do.

Attachments

• 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 190

red

probably the photographer leaning!
I looked at that too. Bin doesn't seem to lean in real time.
Funny!!

Red