QH Questing's DSTNY 0Q11

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I have several pictures of Q Destiny, but I haven't had time to look. Maybe after our sale is over. If someone else can post one before then, please do so.

oakview

If that's the Rodeo Drive son Aldens had, there's all kinds of photos out there.  When I get time I'll find one if nobody else has. 

mark tenenbaum

I bought his dam Granada Destiny at the Questing hills sale along with Countess heartthrob- Heartthrob was a doll-the Destiny cow was flat dangerous-I have old pictutres of her packed away at another location-I think Mark Wiley in Oregon or Washington ended up with the Questing Destiny Bull-Cagwins had a full brother,and of course-There was the National Champ Destiny female that Wankels had O0 O0

jaimiediamond

I got an email from Merlin from Clippity Clop web design with a picture of Questing's Destiny!  Thanks Merlin!

Attachments

• QH Questing Destiny OQ11.jpg
    QH Questing Destiny OQ11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189

GM

In the picture I remember he was younger with an even higher flank and longer legs - which was common and in line with the way bulls were presented in that era.

RyanChandler

I see it being an indication of fleshing ability.  More times than not  you will see the higher flanks on the tighter hided harder doing cattle.  Of course when we have the show cattle people placing direct selection pressure on these indicators, they , as indicators,  become less and less  valuable.

librarian

Yes, I think it's supposed to be characteristic of the compact maximum beef carrying type that became especially popular when early maturity became the major driver of value for baby beef.
Hereford being a good example. Deep flank, "meat to the ankle". As opposed to dairy form.

From Sanders:
The bull should be of positive masculine type, with a strong head and horn. At maturity he should be possessed of what is commonly called "character"; a term which may be briefly defined as meaning "individuality." Weak heads and countenances, of the negative sort usually seen in steers, do not indicate in the bull prepotency or the power to impress his own likeness with uniformity upon his progeny. The neck should be thick and not too long. The shoulders may be wide and well developed, but should not be too upright; neither should they be too open at the "crops"—the junction of the blades at the top. The "chine"—which includes the "crops" and the joining of the fore-ribs—should be broad, round and full. The back and loin should be wide and wellfurnished with flesh. The ribs ought to be round and deep. A contracted heart-girth is decidedly objectionable. The hips of the bull ought not to be so conspicuous as in the cow. As strong shoulder development is to be expected in the male, so in the female the hips ("hooks") will naturally find greater prominence in order to provide the pelvic capacity required by the demands of the functions of maternity. The quarters should be long and level; the "twist"—space between the thighs—well filled, and the flanks and thighs carried low.*
The Short-horns of the olden time were distinguished for their "table" backs and great scale, but were often rather high from the ground. The market demand for "baby beef" has induced latterday breeders to seek a shorter-legged, more compactly fashioned, blockier type, such as feed to heavy weights at an early age; but it is to be hoped that in pursuing this subject scale will not be unduly neglected.
•This description of course applies rather to the beef form than to the dairy type. Where deep-milking capacity is desired the full "twist" and flanks will scarcely be present. The space which in the beef cow is here occupied by flesh will in that case be required for ud.der development.

Okotoks

When we were studying EPD's, QH Questing's DSTNY 0Q11 stood out for marbling and ribeye. His REA of .02 is in the top 30% of the breed while his marbling of.33 is in the top 3% of the breed. His fat is in the top 40% and his $BMI at 137.33 is in the top 1%. His $F of 60.90 is also in the top 1%. His WW is top 5%, YW top 4% and milk is top 3%. His BW is poor but his MCE is in top 1% of the breed. I know SS Rushmore a son of DSTNY did well at Six S and is the grand sire of Six S Leah 55L.