question about DEX

Help Support Steer Planet:

40yrold4her

Tonight my son pulled a bone head stunt and let a show calf loose from the halter without untying the halter from the post. When the calf walked off he caught his leg in the halter and drew it tight. After alot of pulling and kicking by the calf I got the rope loose. The calf was gingerly putting weight back on it when I left for work. If I go to the vet tommorrow and he prescibe's Dex what do I do? with all the bad publicity and drug tests going on he will be tested at the state Fair. We also have a major show in four days. Your coments on the situation will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully when I get home he will be walking fine but I always think the glass is half empty.

Rustynail

What about Bute?  Works great with horses.  I am not sure if you can use it on cattle.  It will test in urine and in blood.

Doc

To me the 1st thing is, when is the show? If it's in July you don't have any problems, if it's April you may have issues. Tell your vet what your concerns are & when the show is & he should be able to guide you. Good Luck.

Jill

The show he is being butchered at is the show you need to worry about.  Your vet will know what to give him to follow withdraw, ALL meds come with a withdraw.

DL

Rustynail said:
What about Bute?  Works great with horses.  I am not sure if you can use it on cattle.  It will test in urine and in blood.

Phenylbutazone (AKA Bute) should NOT be used in cattle intended for slaughter and is illegal (expressely forbidden) to use in dairy cattle 20 months of age and older - make sure when you talk to your vet he/she knows when you will be showing, good luck. All meds do NOT come with a withdrawal, only those approved for use in cattle and used according to label directions - otherwise it is extra label drug use and your vet is responsible for determining the withdrawal time

showsteer09

Rustynail said:

Make sure the vet gives u a paper on it saying what it was for.. then when u go to the fair when they ask on the drug form tell them u vet gave him Dex and show they the paper work from the vet u will be good.....

Jill

I'm going to give out advice and it's won't cost a thing.  Don't let this board or anyone else make you moral decisions for you, we have publicised the 1 in a million that "got caught" what they forget to point out is it is the ones that don't use them correctly or lie about it.
There is nothing wrong with using Dex IF your vet prescribes it, IT you follow the withdraw instructions he gives you and IF you don't lie about having used it.  Every show is different, just know what the rules are and follow them, if you have to use it, check with the directors of the show, maybe they can postpone slaughter to accommodate your withdraw.  I guess what I'm saying is don't take your medical advise from a chat board, only YOUR vet knows you and your situation.

Show Heifer

Some more "for what it is worth" advice:
Some folks on chat boards are very knowledgable....some are not.
I wouldn't take someone's breeding advice from a chat board either on: "what about super bull",  "what should I breed Hillary heifer to", "should I use bob the bull on hillary heifer?" ..... (I usually call the breeder of the bull I am considering)

But your local vet is a very good place to start...be honest and you'll have nothing to worry about.

red

Show Heifer said:
Some more "for what it is worth" advice:
Some folks on chat boards are very knowledgable....some are not.
I wouldn't take someone's breeding advice from a chat board either on: "what about super bull",  "what should I breed Hillary heifer to", "should I use bob the bull on hillary heifer?" ..... (I usually call the breeder of the bull I am considering)

But your local vet is a very good place to start...be honest and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Have to agree 100%. Just because it works for some one that tried a bull once on 1 cow doesn't mean it will work for all. also a good idea to check w/ a vet, get it in writing if you ever think there might be a problem down the line.

Red