Question about fillers

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl2010

Does anyone use Full&Fresh?  IF so how many pounds do you mix for each feeding?

As far as fillers, we use cottonseed hulls.  Someone mentioned in an old post that they don't use beet pulp (which IMO is the same as cottonseed hulls) to grow an animal.  We have been using a ration w/ CSH in it for our steers and they have never looked better and they are growing.  Any comments on that?

Jamie

shortyjock89

Cottonseed Hulls are really hot.  We use them in creep and in the grower, and then switch to beet pulp around the middle of march.  If you think that beet shreds and cottonseed hulls are the same, ask a nutritionist.

F5CHASER

So if a person is finishing out a steer what is the best???? Beet pulp or cottonseed hulls or combo of both?? ???

TJ

Justin's right.  CSH & Beet pulp aren't exactly the same.  FWIW, beet pulp has almost twice the protien & TDN.  CSH have almost twice as much fiber. 

F5CHASER

TJ said:
Justin's right.  CSH & Beet pulp aren't exactly the same.  FWIW, beet pulp has almost twice the protien & TDN.  CSH have almost twice as much fiber. 

Let me think this through then....more protein = more growth, more fiber = less growth (more poop) ??

shortyjock89

This year, we've been feeding WAY more beet pulp than in past years, and I think our calves look better than ever.  I think you get more grow out of Beet Pulp, and I like it WAY more in the summer, as you can soak it down and keep the calves cooler than CSH.  CSH can burn the hair off them IMO.

TJ

Beet pulp = 7% protein    CSH= 3.7% protein
Beet pulp = 22% fiber      CSH = 44% fiber

Neither are very high in protein & both contain a significant amount of fiber.  Beet pulp is not much different nutritionally speaking than feeding straight corn silage.    

You can "wet" beet pulp with cold water & temp. "cool" your calves a little bit (similar to eating ice cream).  (edited... Oops!  I didn't see that Justin had posted that).  If Justin says beet pulp works better in the summer, believe it.  He grows great hair in the summer, without a cooler.         

F5CHASER

Is soaking the BP better than feeding it dry.  I have been feeding a scoop to our steer dry twice per day.  Is that about right?

TJ

I think that dry gives more fill, but that may just be my imagination.  In the summer I can see the benefit of "wetting it".  I don't know if Justin soaks or wets, but whatever he does works well.   

shortyjock89

F5CHASER said:
Is soaking the BP better than feeding it dry.  I have been feeding a scoop to our steer dry twice per day.  Is that about right?

It really depends on how much fill your steer needs, how big and fat he is, and how much he's eating.  We're feeding 33% of our ration as beet pulp right now (dry).

Feeding dry Beet Pulp might give you a little more fill vs. feeding it wet...for VOLUME of feed.  You will get WAY more volume by feeding the beet pulp soaked in cold water for about 10 minutes before you feed it.  Feeding it wet is more useful in the summer for its' cooling properties and for holding calves, as they get he same nutrition with about three times the volume. 

inthebarnagain

I have problems with the calves getting loose on the beet pulp, I figured it was because they are made from sugar beets and the sugar was giving them the scours.