Question about giving a cow a shot of Lut???????

Help Support Steer Planet:

DB

Good afternoon to everyone. I hope that everyone is getting hay in with all the rain. Hopefully we will get a window for hay. I have a question about giving a 2nd time calver a shot of Lut.  I would like to try and catch her up a little bit and was thinking about giving her a shot of Lut to get her started a little early. She will be past calving 31 days today. Is that to early?  I know that a natural heat should be coming at or around 42 days.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

frostback

A single shot of Lut will not bring her in any earlier. If she has not cycled yet the shot will do nothing. You need to use a CIDR and then pull that with the Lut shot to jump start her cycling earlier. Some have great success getting them to cycle quicker, I have not. Best thing that worked to catch some up for me was turning them with a bull. 
No we have not got any hay up yet and do not see a window for another week, rain in the forecast again.

gary89

Definitely use a cidr. I always give 2cc  cysterelin when I put in. 7 days later pull the cidr and give lutalyse. If you dont observe a heat try a 2nd dose of lutalyse 11 days later. Good luck, I usually wait 45 days post calving but I know it has been done successfully earlier.

shortybreeder

If we want to move one up then we will generally give her a shot of lut a couple weeks post calving to make sure her reproductive tract gets cleaned up properly. Then we will set up a CIDR protocol to breed at 56 days post-calving. This should move them up approximately 24+/- 14 days.

MDitmars

Be careful most cows down come back that early because they are still healing! Calving is pretty rough on her reproductive track. After having seen progressive pictures of tracts 15/30/45/60 days after calving i wouldn't recommend anything earlier than 45 for the cow health. (I figure better safe then sorry)

That being said there are several options after you bring her back around depending on your time a lot of these guys are suggesting cider but If you had the time you could easily keep a close eye on her and just watch for standing heat after lut (if you are ai/et yourself)

Here is a link for timed protocols
http://www.absglobal.com/protocols

Good Luck with how ever you decide to go!