Question about Lincoln Reds

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shorthorn_Junkie

I have a question about Lincoln Reds. 

I'm not real familiar with the breed, however aren't they like Homozygous Red Shorthorns? 

I was also wondering if you bred a Lincoln Red Bull to a white shorthorn cow, would the progeny be solid red instead of roan?

Thanks,

SJ

garybob

Nope. The Co-dominance of the ''white'' gene will express itself as Roan.

That's my bet, anyway.

GB

OH Breeder

does this help

The solid-colored and white animals are homozygotes, and the roan animals, with intermingled colored and white hairs, are heterozygous. The gene causing the roan/white/colored phenotypes is the Mast Cell Growth Factor (MGF), also called the KIT ligand (KITLG) on cattle chromosome 5. A single base pair change in this gene is the causative mutation. A diagnostic DNA test is available but is rarely needed since each phenotype is representative of a separate genotype. In rare cases, white animals are almost entirely white with only a small spot or two. To determine if they are really white, the diagnostic test could be used.

garybob

OH Breeder said:
does this help

The solid-colored and white animals are homozygotes, and the roan animals, with intermingled colored and white hairs, are heterozygous. The gene causing the roan/white/colored phenotypes is the Mast Cell Growth Factor (MGF), also called the KIT ligand (KITLG) on cattle chromosome 5. A single base pair change in this gene is the causative mutation. A diagnostic DNA test is available but is rarely needed since each phenotype is representative of a separate genotype. In rare cases, white animals are almost entirely white with only a small spot or two. To determine if they are really white, the diagnostic test could be used.
Is there a test for white heifers, to see if any of them carry the dreaded "White Heifer Syndrome"?

GB

OH Breeder

garybob said:
OH Breeder said:
does this help

Is there a test for white heifers, to see if any of them carry the dreaded "White Heifer Syndrome"?

GB

From my undrestanding, currently they are mapping genes associated with the disease. Roan coloration is critical role of the R allele in the determinism of White Heifer Disease I do not know if any test at this time that is available commercially for this syndrome. I may be wrong.

Shorthorn_Junkie

OH Breeder said:
does this help

I must admit OH Breeder that I am not the brightest bulb in the hallway, and I kind of have a hard time understanding things on a scientific level........lol!

Could you break it down in more simple terms for me?  ;D

Thanks,

SJ

justintime

Here in Canada, we put the Lincoln Red cattle into the Shorthorn herd book back in the early 70s. They were allowed to leave again about 3 or 4 years ago. There used to be several breeders of Lincoln Red cattle in Canada but they are now down to only a few left. The breed is still going well in Britain.

If you breed a Lincoln Red to a white female you will get an even roan calf just like you would if you crossed a red Shorthorn with a white female. I believe there is a genetic test for white heifer disease but I have not used it myself. From my own experience, if you have a white heifer with Brown hair on its ears or red freckles on its nose, it will be OK and will breed normally. I have found that heifers that have completely whiet ears and no red pigmentation may be sterile. Not all heifers that are completely white will have the defect, but I have never seen one with red pigment that had it.

Latest posts