question about Oxy-Explosion

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl

Can you use Oxy-Explosion on heifers?? Would it make them a free martin or not breed?

showsteerdlux

Some of you more experienced folks correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anything can make a heifer free martin unless she was born that way(being a twin to a bull). That being said, it should say on the box/bucket what the product is designed for. Don't hold me to this, but if I'm not mistaken it is ok to feed Oxy-Explosion to heifers.

kanshow

When did you use it?  What weight?  Was the heifer already bred?  Just curious because we considered using it last spring on a heifer.

The Driver

There is no problem feeding this product to heifers. We fed it tiours from 400 lbs till done showing A.I.ed her in the middle of that time frame and it stuck first time with both heifers.

showgirl

The heifer was practically raised on it... Its not my heifer>a friends... The heifer was show from the time she was 4months old till she was 1 1/2 yo. She was ai'd and they keept showing her... But she didnt take..I'm not sure if he tried to put her out with a bull..

kanshow said:
When did you use it?  What weight?   Was the heifer already bred?  Just curious because we considered using it last spring on a heifer.

firesweepranch

OK, diggin up an old thread here, but we bought some oxy explosion today from Sullivans and put it in the grain and the heifer REFUSED to eat! This is a heifer that has no problem eating 15 pounds of grain... she just turned her nose up at it! At first, I just top dressed it, then after 15 minutes of her refusal I mixed it. She still refused to eat. It smells like fish food... can't blame her. I took her grain and offered it to another heifer, just to see, and she refused to eat it also.
How can I make it more palatable so the heifer will eat it??? Did I just waste my money?  ???

angus88

I have fed Oxy-Explosion to heifers, calves, bulls, and our mini horse that we show.  I have never had any issues with it, I just never want to fork over the money for it right away.  I raised my best bull on sure champ, animax, and our show ration.  I can tell you that I know of people who use oxy-Explosion to all their show animals and have for a few years, they have never had any problems. Most of it is just vitamins.  Good luck!