Question For Angus Breeders

Help Support Steer Planet:

olsun

Yesterday at the Iowa Beef Expo, I looked at an Angus bull with PS Power Play in his pedigree. Is PS Power Play the good show bull from the early 1970s ? Can one of you good Angus people tell me what you remember about this bull ?

LLBUX

My dad used him heavily on his cows and almost all of his cows carry PS Powerplay in their pedigree.

Powerplay was a big bull, about 65" as I recall.  The calves are big and fast growers.  We showed Premier calves at the IL State Fair (carcass and gain) with many PS Powerplay sons or grandsons in the lot.  There were several that gained 4+ pounds/day.  They graded well too.

Females are usually big and good milkers. We had few calving problems due to large cow size.  Most have plenty of set to their leg, he wasn't the straightest legged bull around.

If you want performance cattle that grow, use him-    Packers and feeder cattle buyers will love them.  Show cattle, not so much, they are just too big for today's show market.

Good luck-

Aussie

I can remember when his progeny were first about over here he created a massive amount of interest. He lifted them out of the mud and made then growth. I remember being at a show when only young and the comment being made the Powerplay bulls were as long as "a panel of fence" and some talk as to wether their age was accurate in relation to size. These are some stats I found in an old sale cataloge about PowerPlay @ 4 years 2500lbs. 62inches wither 2700lbs @ 5 years.
A son of Powerplay Summitcrest Power Play M032 was imported to Australia  also played a big part in our breeding in the 1980's

PC PowerPlay link
http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=158

olsun

The reason that I asked the original question was because I remember a great show bull from that era that was later tested and found not to be pure angus. I have since learned that Power Play was tested and found pure. Does anyone remember the bull that tested out? Was it possibly a bull named Superstar or something like that? Or have I just had a brain spasm and made the whole thing up?
  Earl

LLBUX

Could you be thinking of Sport?  He was very popular in the 70's and quickly went away when some of his calves showed up with Mulefoot(only one toe/foot)    That defect may trace back to Holstein.

Ankonian Dynamo is another old bull that threw red calves from time to time.  I'm sure he was pure though.  He contributed greatly to the Red Angus breed in the 70's.

olsun

The bull you called Sport, could that have been Super Sport ? I think you might have just made it possible for me to sleep tonight. Thank you.

cowman 52

Sports real name was black marshall 482-  Roger Worthington found him 

Tiny tim was another w/ mule foot marshall pride 256