Question for DL or anyother vets

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

This may get to be a sticky wicket question but I was curious. As a vet, how do you react when you've either heard or read about bad advice that was given to someone by another vet?
I've read some of your posts & you usually don't pull any punches when expressing your opinions.  ::) But what is your gut reaction when you read something that really concerns you?
Same for anyone else that is not a vet but just has some good common sense? How do you react? Let's keep it civil but I'm interested in thoughts? :-\

Red (welcome)

justme

I'm not a vet, but on another board I seen a kid asking how to "air" a steer.  I cann't beleive some people would help them out.  Kids on these boards are not always sure what is ethical and I hate when people encourage those terrible procedures.

red

Yes, there was a girl on another board that told someone to give a steer that was unruly, a shot of tranq at a show "while no one is looking". I came down hard on her about it because she made me so mad. My post got pulled, LOL, but I didn't care.

I think as far as "airing", it is legal is some states. I know it's not in Ohio. I just hope that if they feel they have to do it, they think about it first & just don't because everyone else does. I've never been comfortable with altering an animal like that before. I have used dye to tint brownish hair. Wouldn't use it to cover white though & only at shows were it's allowed. I think reading the rules is the most important thing you can do.

Red

chambero

What you are seeing with questions on both issues is a result of practices that have been around a very, very long time.  You can tell when someone is grasping at straws when they talk about "how bad it is becoming".  Airing, use of tranquilizers, steroids, etc. used to be a whole lot more common 10-20 years ago now.  It hasn't been that long since they've been explicitly against the rules, at least down here.  Things are much more sophisticated now to catch those things.  I can't imagine that people still walk a steer in the ring with air, oil, or anything else under the skin.  I haven't seen it down here, even at the highest level.  What goes on at home during the development process is a different story. 

Most people highly overate their effectiveness and attribute getting beat to those things, when nothing could be further from the truth.  That is my biggest soapbox issue - there are no shortcuts in this game. 

In regards to the original question, regarding criticism of peer professionals, I think that is always something that should be done very sparingly.  You never know when you have been told the whole story that led someone to a certain decision or recommendation.  In my profession and company, we are taught to always take the high road and never disparage the competition.  People figure out quickly who is "good" and things take care of themselves. 

red

(clapping)
Chambero, you always were one of the good guys in my opinion! Thanks for the great feedback!

Red

DL

red said:
This may get to be a sticky wicket question but I was curious. As a vet, how do you react when you've either heard or read about bad advice that was given to someone by another vet?
I've read some of your posts & you usually don't pull any punches when expressing your opinions.  ::) But what is your gut reaction when you read something that really concerns you?
Same for anyone else that is not a vet but just has some good common sense? How do you react? Let's keep it civil but I'm interested in thoughts? :-\

Red (welcome)

Actually Red that is a good and thought provoking question - in the real world (as compared to cyber space) - I don't work for or with scum. Period. Ask me to do something illegal or shady (and assuming it isn't lack of knowledge) and it is curtains for you pal! Why in heavens name would I risk losing my licence so some dirt bag could win a ribbon ( ah dl tell us how you really feel  ;D)

In cyber space it is different and one could spend every waking hour trying to educate people  -  I pick and choose - boards, questions and people - I get tired of being the heavy but a lot of people don't know and a lot of kids really don't know ........so providing accurate and useful information (which I think we do here) is a great service. What blows me away is how many people assume that anything that is written on the web by some unknown person is true....That said there are various ways to do things and some of the topics are really opinion vs fact, so there sometimes isn't a "right" answer" but we sure have seen some WRONG answers! ....but it is snowing here and it is April and all the daffodils are frozen which is a dirty shame!

Sabres look great - 2 more games; If Chicago beats the dead wings again and BFLO wins one of 2 they are tops in the league and win the Presidents Cup, I hope it isn't a bust of W..aghhhhh  DL.
(cow)

justme

well said!  We all need to remember how impressionable the youth on these boards are!  My daughter (who is 9) would probably believe since its in type, it must be true. 

Joe Boy

I am glad that both vets that I use will not do illegal things.....such as some of the things done for AI work as well as showing livestock.  DL often fills like she is alone but she has a host of backers.  What is wrong is wrong and what is right is right.  The largest problem is in communicating the rules, regulations, facts about PHA and TH, etc. 

I remember the first time I took my small children to a major livestock show.  We watched people feed pop corn to pigs to fill them out but not make them weigh out.... went to the calf barn and watched them using a pump to fill a calf with 7-Up to blow out the stomach without much weight gain.... we saw people with pumps putting all kinds of mixtures in sheep and goats....  sometimes not being able to talk for fans, clippers, and the such like....  It was an education and we really never tried to learn what the "big boys" were doing to try and win.... many of the "little boys" were doing similar things and were aggravated that the other end of the barn was not telling them what they were doing.....  We saw needles.....  We heard some were pumping beer into their calves to calm them and one was definitely drunk...

Life is short so lets make it good and have a good honest times in the ring and in life.....

Show Heifer

I believe that opinions are a dime a dozen and "experts" are even cheaper. I enjoy reading other peoples opinions and experiences and have learned many things.
And, (surprise here....) I offer my opinion. Sometimes it is well received and sometimes not....and it really doesn't matter to me. But when I or one of my friends gets attacked for stating their opinion, I get a wee bit upset (understatement). Some folks have lost that notion of "can't we just agree to disagree"!!
But when I see someone giving illegal info or unethical info, I WILL NOT stand by and let them be misguided without making an attempt to "clarify" a few things.  8)  I am sure I have been called all sorts of things, and thats ok.  :eek:          I sleep well at night!
I sure enjoy reading most of the post, and have gained not only knowledge, but lots of valued friends!! (clapping)
Thanks everyone!! :)